Re: PC - Crashing issue - Information request.

by ViolentMinds

Original Post

★ Apprentice
  • What did you do just before the crash happen?
    In the main menu AND when playing. This started since the latest patch.
  • Does it happen in all game modes?
    Yes.
  • Does it always happen at the same action/place?
    Its everywhere. So no. 

The game started locking up every couple minutes for .5 seconds usually then goes back to normal. However sometimes it locks up and I get apphang error and have to go to task manager to exit bfv.exe. 

I have tried everything on the forums. Even changed video cards. Clean installs, 3 different driver versions. Tested memory and all hardware. BF1 runs fine as do all my other games. Its only BFV. I have also tried multiple options settings, including RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2 and such. Also different hard drives. Different virtual memory settings even though I've also got 32gb of physical ram. Nothing works. Disabled origin overlay, radeon overlay, all that stuff. Admin etc. Reinstalled c++ 2015 from game directory etc.

Message 201 of 487 (1,640 Views)

★ Apprentice

Sorry had to add DxDiag here

Message 202 of 487 (1,641 Views)

★★ Novice

MAIN PROBLEM: Stuttering in-game, almost crashes/high ram usage/minor artifacting on after match results screen with DLSS ON.

Specs:

Ryzen 2700x (at 4Ghz all cores)

Nvidia 2080ti Founder's (+130mhz core OC)

Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wifi) mobo

16gb G Skill Trident Z DDR4 samsung b die running at 3200mhz 14/14/14/28 timings

-D.O.C.P mobo profile at level 3-4, timings calculated and input manually via ryzen ram calculator, ram passes Memtest86/windows memory test.

-Most recent chipset drivers, audio drivers, video card drivers, and windows updates

All game settings are at ULTRA/maxed out at 4k resolution.

(Resolved Issues)

My system would crash non-stop with DLSS + RTX enabled. My system would be rock solid stable otherwise with DLSS off and RTX either on or off. Sometimes it would just crash to desktop and sometimes it would blue screen giving me a "Memory Management" stop code. The most recent April mobo bios released by Asus helped to somewhat reduce crashes, and eliminated blue screens. Dialing in my ram timings using the Ryzen ram calculator has eliminated most CTDs and I have yet to have a memory management blue screen...

(UNRESOLVED ISSUES)

A: However, I am still experiencing near total lockups, a brief period of artifacting (quick flash of colored pixels on bottom mid portion of screen), and stuttering/lag on the after match result screen. This is really only the place these issues happen now. The issues are much more noticeable with DLSS set to ON. The results screen artifacting/stuttering/game hangs still occur with DLSS and RTX off, but are much less severe. For example, the game will hang while filling an exp bar for 1-2 seconds versus 5-10 seconds when DLSS is set to ON.

B: Also, I can reproduce 100% a 3-4 second stutter in-game in Firestorm with DLSS + RTX on at 4k resolution. EVERYTIME I pick up an armor piece AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY FIRESTORM MATCH, the moment I have it in my inventory and press 3 or 4 to pull up the piece and use it, my game will freeze/stutter/hang for 3-4 seconds. Subsequent armor piece pick ups and uses in the SAME MATCH will not result in any 3-4 second game freeze. It does not matter if I pick up and try to use the first piece of armor a minute after parachuting down, or 10 minutes after parachuting down: the freeze always occurs with the first and only the first armor piece pickup.

This PC has not had any other issues with any other mainstream games at all such as Metro 2033/Apex legends/Insurgency/Rising Storm 2 Vietnam/Fallout 76/Resident Evil 2/ and the list goes on and on. It is just Battlefield 5. For whatever reason, this game is just eating up ram like crazy on the after action post-match screen to the point where the system nearly crashes. I wouldn't be surprised if the crashes many other players are experiencing is due to brief periods of excessive RAM usage that just dump the game to the desktop. People running the default XMP/D.O.C.P ram OC profiles without extensive sub-timing tweaks might be running into issues where BF5 is just demanding something dumb or something way overkill from system ram that even extensive memory testing programs are not even catching the instability caused by the game. This game should not be a ram kit test although it makes a pretty damn good one at present...

My suggestion to anyone crashing at the moment who is also running overclocked memory (any DDR4 ram over 2133mhz is above JDEC standards and is considered "overclocked" even if the ram kit says it's rated for 3200mhz or 3400mhz or whatever) is to try to lower the OC of your ram, and/or loosen the timings on your ram first. If you're running Ryzen/Threadripper, give the Ryzen ram calculator a shot to dial in your RAM's primary and sub-timings as doing so has almost completely eliminated any/all CTDs for me at least.

Message 203 of 487 (1,600 Views)

★★ Novice

ONE POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Same crashes and stuttering behaviour for me, too. BfV was crashing. Other games like FarCry5 ran smoothly.

Now i found out what's wrong for me:

One piece of RAM (thx to G.Skill) was broken. I have tested every SINGLE RAM module with Memtest Vers.8.1. 

Test them one after another - not all together!!!

I hope some of you will help this.

regards.

Message 204 of 487 (1,590 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

• We need Dxdiag, to see what Hardware and drivers you are using.
  •  
    • Surfing on facebook
    • Yes
    • No, it happens randomly

GREAT SUPPORT GUYS!!!

Fixed it with posts on other forums.

I guess nobody gives a * once we paid for the game :-)

Message 205 of 487 (1,549 Views)

★ Novice
    • Any kind of play
    • Yes
    • No, it happens randomly
  • It`s not funny any more?
    • Yes. I can`t play!!!
Message 206 of 487 (1,493 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

How you fixed it??? @mcnutzz69 

Message 207 of 487 (1,488 Views)

★★ Novice

I turned  DXR  OFF on my RTX2080, and it worked. Didn't have any crashes yet.

Hope this helps you too.

Message 208 of 487 (1,459 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I was playing normally.

Game crashed on Breakthrough.

Nope. Randomly.

Note: CPU, GPU and RAM are on stock settings. RAM is running on JEDEC speed 2400.

Message 209 of 487 (1,436 Views)

★ Novice
  • What did you do just before the crash happen? - Played normally.
  • Does it happen in all game modes? - Yes.
  • Does it always happen at the same action/place? - No, happens randomly after about 10 minutes of gameplay.
Message 210 of 487 (1,382 Views)