Re: PC Battlefield 5 High CPU usage, Low GPU usage

by JakeItToTheLimit

Original Post

Accepted Solution

PC Battlefield 5 High CPU usage, Low GPU usage

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I'd like to start by referencing the Troubleshooting Checklist that is stickied in this forum here

#1 Check Answers HQ and game forums for already existing threads, posts and solutions

There are currently no other existing, relevant solutions that I could find after hours of Googling, and searching through EA's knowledge base. The game is so new, that people are still having this same exact high CPU/low GPU problems from when BF1 was new. People say to turn your settings and frame rate down, although this may help for some, it doesn't explain why my GPU does not go above 60% usage, even with GPU Restrictions turned off. There was another similar thread, marked as "solved" saying that GPU usage isn't reflected accurately in Windows Task Manager, but we use ASUS GPU Tweak II to monitor our GPU usage in this thread.

#2 A detailed description of the problem you're having including screenshots and full error codes/messages where applicable

Although I don't have issues with the game crashing, or any other graphical errors for that matter, it's a shame when I read I had to turn my graphics down to take the load off of my CPU. I don't want to run a game for extended periods of time when my CPU is practically cooking, even in my case where there aren't any immediate errors, such as any system (crash/hang) or graphical (FPS drop/stuttering) instability. Constantly running a CPU this hot will eventually cause the CPU to develop errors of its own. Even with the lowest of settings, CPU still bounces between 80-100% usage while in game. I also thought maybe if I crank the graphic settings high enough, it would off-balance the CPU usage and put some more strain onto the GPU, which it does not. Changing any and all video settings has zero influence on the high usage of my CPU. Meanwhile with graphic settings maxed out, my GTX 1070 doesn't go above 59% usage. 

#3 List all the steps you've already tried to resolve the issue
   The steps I've taken so far is changing all of the video settings to see if any particular graphic setting was causing a rise/drop in CPU, or a rise/drop in GPU usage. None were apparent. There were also some Google searches that mention turning the "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to "1", may have helped others with low GPU usage in Battlefield 1, but does nothing for Battlefield 5. Like I said earlier, this game is so new that all of the posts I try to find that are relevant to high CPU usage for BF5, just translates to searches for BF1, which "solutions" I also attempted and nothing helped. It seems this game in itself is just a CPU hog ( 60% CPU usage while idle in the menu ), some advanced form of CPU cryptojacking, or just extremely un-optimized. 

#4 Posted a link to an image of the issue if it's graphical or performance
  Low GPU accompanied by 87% CPU. Keep in mind that "Max" under GPU Usage,% is the highest percentage it has reached within a certain amount of time, not the maximum percentage that it is capable of ( which is 100% )

#5 Full system specifications - My current hardware specs versus the recommended system requirements from here. DXR is NOT enabled during any of this. Anybody claiming there is a compatibility bottleneck between my GPU and CPU that causes this amount of discrepancy is severely uninformed. This game is also installed on a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

MY CPU:
   -i7-3770 CPU -- 4C8T @ 3.4GHz -- No OC
Recommended CPU:
   -i7-4790 CPU -- 4C8T @ 3.6GHz -- No OC

MY GPU:
   -8GB GDDR5 GTX 1070 -- No OC
Recommended GPU:
   -6GB GDDR5 GTX 1060 -- No OC

MY RAM:
   -16GB DDR3 Dual-Channel
Recommended RAM:
   -12GB --

#6 Uploaded my generated DxDiag.txt file as an attachment

#7 Origin client version is 10.5.31.17411 - 0 ; Most up-to-date version as of this posting

So aside from my CPU being slightly under the Recommended requirements ( although my CPU is stronger than the one listed under Minimum ), Battlefield 5 runs my i7-3770 at 60% while waiting in the menu. As soon as I join a game the CPU jumps anywhere between 75% to 100% CPU usage, all the while my GPU, according to ASUS GPU Tweak II, doesn't go above 59% usage.

However, when I run a game like Rocket League for example, my CPU hovers around 20%-40% usage, but my GPU runs at 90% ( which is how every game should work ) How can a game like Rocket League use 90% of my GPU, while the most graphics-intensive game of 2018 can only budge my GPU up to 60%? Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated

Message 1 of 43 (109,199 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Thank you both for your suggestions and feedback. I hadn't checked this post lately because EA flagged it as spam, but I thought I would update this thread.
I turned FFR off with DX12 on, and it did put slightly less strain onto the CPU, but still gets around 90% and up while in game. Turning DX12 off placed my CPU at 100% while sitting in the menu. So with FFR OFF and DX12 ON is the best combination for a low-end CPU. Although it still runs 90% at least while in game, which is a shame. People were saying in this other thread: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/1368603#Comment_1368603
that even an i7-8700 were still getting the same performance issues. It sucks because I like the game, but having a hex-core seems almost necessary to play it, even though their recommended CPU's are far below the performance a hex-core CPU would give.
Again, thanks for your guys' insight

View in thread

Message 6 of 43 (108,277 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice

Hey @34e35b36d0fab3ba

It appears you're experiencing a bottleneck. Your CPU is below the recommended requirements while your GPU is above. This means your CPU is not able to keep up with the GPU. 

Instead of turning down the settings try increasing them. Also be sure to enable future frame rendering under the advanced graphics tab.

Message 2 of 43 (109,089 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@34e35b36d0fab3ba @Snipe0812

Taken from Twitter - Sir David Sirland:

"PSA: Future frame rendering OFF will test your system heavily - and esp the cpu to gpu power relation. With no respite from rendering 3 frames at a time, any bottleneck in cpu will show heavily when used. So only use this if input lag is more imp than fps, and your fps >90 or so."

Do NOT switch FFR on if you have a low end CPU or relatively low compared to the GPU.

I have a i7-8700K and 1080 - I have it ON with DX12 OFF.

FFR Explanation

Message 3 of 43 (109,068 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@||CookieG|| reread that tweet. It says "future frame rendering OFF will test your system heavily"

Having it on will lighten your CPU load.
Message 4 of 43 (109,038 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Snipe0812

FFR ON passes more frames to your CPU to prep ready to go back to the GPU which is in most cases with a high end system is the ideal setup.  The fact FFR OFF heavily tests your system is expected - the GPU will work harder if the CPU is not working/processing quickly enough to pass frames back to the GPU and thus shows the bottleneck - "cpu to gpu power relation".

"any bottleneck in cpu will show heavily when used" aka FFR ON.

I suppose it is how you read it, the explanation helps as per the link.

Hope that explains my post... Wink

Message 5 of 43 (108,957 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Thank you both for your suggestions and feedback. I hadn't checked this post lately because EA flagged it as spam, but I thought I would update this thread.
I turned FFR off with DX12 on, and it did put slightly less strain onto the CPU, but still gets around 90% and up while in game. Turning DX12 off placed my CPU at 100% while sitting in the menu. So with FFR OFF and DX12 ON is the best combination for a low-end CPU. Although it still runs 90% at least while in game, which is a shame. People were saying in this other thread: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/1368603#Comment_1368603
that even an i7-8700 were still getting the same performance issues. It sucks because I like the game, but having a hex-core seems almost necessary to play it, even though their recommended CPU's are far below the performance a hex-core CPU would give.
Again, thanks for your guys' insight

Message 6 of 43 (108,278 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Woow. 

I recnetly bought a 2070 and got a offer for 1 out of 3 Games. Stupid as im i choosed Battlefield V. It's April 2019 and this Problem still exists. Why woud this game be added to a graphicscard if you need a I-9 with liquid nitrogen cooling and 10 Ghz overclock. 

I have an i5-7600k. I have overclocked it to 4.9 Ghz stable and it doesen't change anything regarding FPS in BF V compared to the 4.2 Ghz stock settings. I still get the same framedrops and lags from time to time. 

I now do exactly remember why i stoped buying Battlfield Titles after Bad Company 2. It's so repetitive and kinda always the same game from it's base but also has changed a lot since BF 1942. This Tripple A Title has worse performance then any other Game. I'd say EA has a huge budget for they're games and sells such an bad performing game. 

Bysides that the performance is one of the worst ever the gameplaybalance is worse then ever aswell. I mean why the heck a Tank doesen't explode after being hit with 2 C4's and 3 Rockets. In a frontline mode where the tank-crew just mows down the infantrie with the MG's. 

After reading all this im not even feeling like opening this game anymore and torture my cpu for nothing. 

Fix your * EA.

Message 7 of 43 (100,496 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Ok dude you are talking nonsense, you have half the amount of CPU cores than a console.

>> I have an i5-7600k.

You have a 4x core CPU with just 4x threads. Consoles have TWICE as many cores!  Without more threads, you are not going to compete with a console even with a higher clock speed or K model. You will only outperform the console in single core performance... but few cores don't run today's big games. So no point paying up for a K model.

Even a low clocked 6x core i5 would do better than yours at this.

The age of 4x core CPUs for big games is OVER - it was overdue, we were stagnating! That ended with BF1 already. Thats why you see 6 and 8 core CPUs coming out.

As an example, I can run BF1 smooth with a i7 3770 only because it has 8x threads to compensate (since each core is very powerful), even a i7 2600 could run BF1 just because of it having 8x threads.

The hardware demands of games normally go up in relation to console hardware capability. Console hardware capability has increased, and so will PC gaming hardware demands. As more hardware becomes available, game developers can build more features and improvements that utilize the available hardware. 

Game hardware requirements ALWAYS increase over time. We were about to stagnate.

Message 8 of 43 (98,458 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello,

Same issue. The CPU should not be running this game. I am able to run any other game with cpu around 20-45%, and GPU 35-75%. Whats going on?

i7-9700k -- 8 solid cores, at 5Ghz!

RTX2080ti THE BEAST (does nothing)

16GB RAM

M2 SSD 1Tb Samsung

Nice Mobo, no time to look, its not the issue.

Message 9 of 43 (97,275 Views)

★ Novice
@whateversa Absolute * this.
Message 10 of 43 (93,858 Views)