Origin has to prepare entire game before downloading?

by Hott-N-Nerdy

Original Post

Origin has to prepare entire game before downloading?

★★★ Novice

I've googled for the answer but I am failing to find an answer.  Everything I have found is "Origin Stuck on Preparing" and that's not my problem.  It's not stuck but has to prepare the entire game folder before downloading.  What I mean is that when I tried to update BF-V, it had to "prepare" 31.86GB of data before it would even download the 6 GB patch.  Is this normal for every update because it does this for every update I get.

Message 1 of 6 (1,927 Views)

Re: Origin has to prepare entire game before downloading?

Community Manager

@Hott-N-Nerdy 

Updating Battlefield V this morning? The preparing phase will take longer than usual. Players with unrestricted data caps, and high speed internet will find it faster to do a full reinstall. If you come across any issues, let us know!

Source: https://twitter.com/EAHelp/status/1168804662662721536

barry.png
Message 2 of 6 (1,876 Views)

★★★ Novice

I haven't played in a while and there was a 6 gb update.  So, you admit there is a problem with "preparing" the entire game (or any game for that matter in origin).  Why should we have to un-install the whole game and re-download it for an update?  It takes longer to "prepare" than to download the update and that isn't acceptable.  Why does it have to "prepare" anyways?  Steam doesn't do this to update a game, and if does, its mere seconds compared to minutes.  Surely this needs to be looked into by the origin techs.

Message 3 of 6 (1,849 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This is what I've always assumed (and note that this is pure educated speculation on my part):

• Origin does incremental patching per file - any unchanged parts are kept, and only new/changed parts are downloaded and then spliced in
  • When it's "preparing 31.86GB", that's the total size of old files that need to be changed (but most likely with much fewer bytes to be changed). Origin will go through them all and make sure the old data to be kept is intact. Since Origin can't actually know what exactly the data is supposed to be without re-downloading it, the checking is done by calculating checksums (per section of the file). This calculation will take time, and the weaker your CPU is, the more time it will take.
Message 4 of 6 (1,823 Views)

★★★ Novice

Wow, if that's really what they are doing, then that's archaic.  I can update a steam game and be in in minutes.  I have 500Mb download speed and running an i7-8700k processor so its not my CPU.  In all reality, its not that slow to prepare, just curious as to why it has to for EVERY update.  I guess I just don't understand it (I understand what you said though).

Message 5 of 6 (1,780 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well... What do you expect?  Origin to run like Steam?  C'mon man, we all know EA is trash.  It'll never be that efficient lol

Message 6 of 6 (1,389 Views)