Re: Origin has stopped working

by moarmeat

Original Post

Origin has stopped working

★★★ Newbie

As soon as I log in to my Origin account and the window appears, it immediatly freezes without loading any images of the stores and the error window appears saying "Origin has stopped working, attempting to fix problem" .......and it makes me close the program. How can I fix this?

Message 1 of 12 (6,846 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Try uninstalling then reinstalling Origin, remember to back up your games first.

Message 2 of 12 (6,786 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have done that already, no use. Also when i ran Origin in safe mode with networking, it ran just fine.

Message 3 of 12 (6,783 Views)

★★ Novice

amazing that ea or origin hasn't responded to this. Had a chat with a tech and got origin to work, only to have it go out again. 2nd tech had no clue

Message 4 of 12 (6,719 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Apparently running as adimistrator helps but that did not work for me. I right clicked and changed from default graphics to intergrated graphics and this worked!

Message 5 of 12 (6,507 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@LoboCivera wrote:

amazing that ea or origin hasn't responded to this. Had a chat with a tech and got origin to work, only to have it go out again. 2nd tech had no clue

Before continuing with a more current comment, this old post, in its bald silliness, needed correction. 

This message thread is here in AHQ, which is entirely separate by design, from EA's Help.  There are some EA employees, tasked with keeping the peace, whose official functions do not include "official tech support".  That is done by Game Advisers, and there are none of those inside of AHQ.  Origin has its own help pages, and its own access to the Help Cennter's Live Chat function. 

This forum is a Self-Help place here on AHQ in which game players can discuss games between each other, and based on experience, make suggestions that allow those with difficulties to make their own fixes.  We cannot do anything with any member account, we cannot correct a bad registration code, we cannot change your eMail address on your account.  Game Advisers can do those things.  You can reach them on the EA Help Center (linked below).

https://help.ea.com/

Message 6 of 12 (6,505 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@999harry9 wrote:

Apparently running as adimistrator helps but that did not work for me. I right clicked and changed from default graphics to intergrated graphics and this worked!

The only way that would be a useful option is if you have chosen to allow the graphics drivers for the dedicated video solution to become hopelessly outdated. 

Message 7 of 12 (6,504 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

When Origin is running fine in safe mode with networking enabled that means a third party application is blocking it. Below is the copy of our article about Programs that may cause conflicts with Origin for more information:

If you’ve experienced connection issues after updating Origin, you may need to reconfigure your antivirus or firewall settings. Improperly configured settings can result in a situation where Origin is unable to update properly, blocking users from accessing our service.

These conflicts typically manifest in one of two ways:
Difficulty establishing a connection to Origin 
Inability to download, install, or play games 
Difficulty using the Origin Store

Luckily, there are two very simple and common solutions to these problems:

1. Give Origin permission to update.
Adding Origin to your security program’s “safe” or “allowed” list will usually resolve any connectivity problems that you’re having. Consult your individual program’s software manual, FAQ, or help site for details on how to configure your safe list. 2. Close background programs before running Origin. Disabling your security software can instantly cure connectivity issues, but it can also leave you open to actual threats. If you opt to turn off your antivirus or firewall program, be sure to re-enable it when you’re done using Origin. 3. Disabling add-ons/extensions/plug-ins before running Origin or accessing the Origin store. Disabling certain add-ons/extensions/plug-ins that may be interfering with the Origin Store can allow you to continue using the store with less difficulty. You may also wish to try right clicking on the page and selecting "Allow Origin" as this can by-pass some issues. If that doesn't work, you may with to disable them, and re-enable them once finished. Below is a list of programs that may cause interference with Origin updates. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list. Anti-Virus Programs Avast! AVG Anti-virus BitDefender Kaspersky Anti-virus McAfee Anti-virus Nod32 Anti-virus Norton/Symantec Anti-virus Panda Anti-virus Trend Micro Anti-Spyware Programs Ad Aware Spybot Search & Destroy Spycatcher Express Webroot Spy Sweeper Firewall/Security Programs Comodo McAfee Personal Firewall Panda Internet Security Zone Alarm Online Armor Add-ons/Extensions/Plug-ins AdBlock Plus No-Script
Message 8 of 12 (6,499 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had this smae problem but i fixed it....I worked on this for hours but the fix for me was opening up the task manager and ending task "OC Guru" (Gigabyte)

Message 9 of 12 (5,407 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked for me, I just recently installed it and my Origins stopped working then I went to proccesess and disabled OC Guru, thanks :D

Message 10 of 12 (5,325 Views)