Origin error "Well That Didn't Go as Planned" when launching Battlefield 2042 PC

by Darkikiki

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin error "Well That Didn't Go as Planned" when launching Battlefield 2042 PC

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

**Solved!
Below are the steps I followed:

1- Manually uninstall Origin + remove these 3 folders:
a. Delete Origin folder in C:\ProgramData\ (Do not delete the LOCAL CONTENT folder in this origin folder)
b. Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\
c. Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\ <username> \AppData\Roaming\
2- Run CCleaner (Health Checkup + Customized clean up + Registry clean up)
3- Restart the router/modem + unplug any electricity source from the computer for a few minutes
4- Do a Clean Boot (deactivating all non microsoft services, only leaving Steam Service).
5- Download the latest version of Origin and install it with admin rights (click right on the launcher and select "Run as administrator").
6- Launch Battlefield 2042 from Steam
7- It worked for me!

Since Thursday September 15th, when I launch the game "Battlefield™ 2042" on Steam or Origin, Origin starts, loads normally with all its features, and then I receive the error message "Well That Didn't Go as Planned".

I cleaned Origin's cache (all 3 folders), restarted my computer several times, used WiseCleaner to clean the registry and remaining files, reinstalled Origin with the latest online version, reinstalled the entire Battlefield 2042 game from Steam, clicked on "Verify integrity of games files", but I still have the same error message.

What intrigues me is that when I start Origin, I have access to all the features. I can even play one of my games by launching it from Origin (Plant vs Zombies).

It's only when I launch the Battlefield game that I get this error message, from Origin and from Steam.

The game was working without any issue the day before.

My GTX 1080 drivers last update was done on Sept 8th.

I saw my Win10 got updated around this time with KB5017308, KB5017500 and KB5017903.

Do you have any recommendations?

Edit
Adding more elements that I tried without success:

- Emptying Steam cache

- Changing router DNS Server from CIRA (Canadian), to ISP, and after to Google

Message 1 of 6 (761 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin error "Well That Didn't Go as Planned" when launching Battl

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@Darkikiki 

In Task Manager make sure Origin Client Service and Origin Web Helper Service were disabled

first "view hidden files and folders" Show hidden files -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files-0320fe58-0117-fd59-6851-9b7f9840fdb2
Delete Origin folder in C:\ProgramData\ (Do not delete the LOCAL CONTENT folder in this origin folder)
Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\
Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\ <username> \AppData\Roaming\
[Admin. addition] - If these steps do not help then try the following, posted below by EA_Nils: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Well-that-didn-t-go-as-planned/m-p/5543899#M217029

In Task Manager make sure Origin Client Service and Origin Web Helper Service were disabled

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (690 Views)

All Replies

★★ Expert
@Darkikiki try a clean boot, post you dxdiag please !
Message 2 of 6 (743 Views)

★★ Novice

@Rokebo73attached is the DxDiag produced after a clean boot.

After the DxDiag, I relaunched only the Steam Client Service, tried again launching Battlefield 2042 from Steam, and still the same error message.

Message 3 of 6 (732 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@Darkikiki 

first "view hidden files and folders" Show hidden files -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files-0320fe58-0117-fd59-6851-9b7f9840fdb2
Delete Origin folder in C:\ProgramData\ (Do not delete the LOCAL CONTENT folder in this origin folder)
Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\
Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\ <username> \AppData\Roaming\
[Admin. addition] - If these steps do not help then try the following, posted below by EA_Nils: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Well-that-didn-t-go-as-planned/m-p/5543899#M217029

Message 4 of 6 (691 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Suprisingly, it ended working!!

Thanks @Rokebo73 Standard smile

Below are the steps I followed:

1- Manually uninstall Origin + remove these 3 folders:
a. Delete Origin folder in C:\ProgramData\ (Do not delete the LOCAL CONTENT folder in this origin folder)
b. Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\
c. Delete Origin folder in C:\Users\ <username> \AppData\Roaming\
2- Run CCleaner (Health Checkup + Customized clean up + Registry clean up)
3- Restart the router/modem + unplug any electricity source from the computer for a few minutes
4- Do a Clean Boot (deactivating all non microsoft services, only leaving Steam Service).
5- Download the latest version of Origin and install it with admin rights (click right on the launcher and select "Run as administrator").
6- Launch Battlefield 2042 from Steam
7- It worked for me!

Message 5 of 6 (629 Views)

★★ Expert
@Darkikiki NICE !!! Play On !!!!
Message 6 of 6 (613 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help