Origin cannot be uninstalled.

by redtallin

Original Post

Origin cannot be uninstalled.

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the following problem:

The only ea game I have(had) installed is the Sims 3. Yesterday, origin informed me that a new update was available, similarly to how Sims 3 does. I naturally accepted and it downloaded, but when it came to installing as soon as I clicked the allow button for whether I want to allow it to make changes to my hard drive similarly to any other program when installing, the window vanished and I heard no more from it.

I assumed it had updated to continued to click on the icon for Sims 3 in order to play it. Then, the message:

'only one instance of origin can run at one time etc....check other windows accounts to see if the game is running'

My account is the only one on the computer, but I checked anyway under task manager but origin was not running. At this point I decided to try uninstalling and then reinstalling both sims3 and origin, so I uninstalled them both by going through uninstall programs on the control panel of my computer. The 'only one instance...' window popped up during the uninstalling process, but it also said that windows uninstaller would stop the process if I did not, so I assumed that it would and when I clicked ok it uninstalled seemingly correctly.

However, when I tried to reinstall it, starting with origin (as that has to be installed before Sims 3) that window popped up again and delightfully informed me that an instance of the game is already running, etc...

Now again it said that windows could close it if I did not so I said ok and it continued to reinstall. Then, an error message came up saying that origin.exe could not be written. Because there was nothing else I could do, I clicked skip and the rest installed fine. So once this had finished, nothing else came up for installing sims 3 so I clicked on the origin icon, but it came up with the only one instance window again!

So once more I uninstalled it. after this I checked task manager again, and whilst there is no origin running under processes, it IS running under 'details'. I tried to end task but a window came up saying 'cannot end task - access denied'.

The file for origin is also still there under program files(x86) and I can't delete it because windows says it is open elsewhere.

I'm on windows 8 and am installing this from my sims 3 disc - the recent one which requires origin and internet access to play.

Thank you for your time and I hope someone can help me...

Message 1 of 7 (1,995 Views)

Re: Origin cannot be uninstalled.

★★★ Newbie

Has no one else had this problem at all?

I can't find any way to solve it...

Message 2 of 7 (1,981 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I haven't tried to uninstall, but after I did the latest update, Origin is broken and won't run. One other person has tried to reinstall Origin but that didn't help them. Multiple people seem to be having slightly different problems with this latest update of Origin. Mine is in a loop - it "updates" and then can't find UpdateTool.exe. Next time you try to run Origin, it updates again.......endless loop.

Message 3 of 7 (1,978 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also have had this problem and am using windows 8, received message saying "only one instance of origin can run at a time, check windows etc" and wasn't able to play sims for more than a week...very sad..... So after some troubleshooting I can play again, I uninstalled origin from my computer, then I refreshed my PC,  the instructions for refreshing are below. After refreshing I then downloaded origin from the origin website and I can play again. I think by uninstalling origin and then refreshing the PC it removes that Origin program that was stuck in the task manager running. Hope this helps you too.

These steps will take you through refreshing your PC:

· Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar (If you are using a touchscreen: Touch the right edge of your screen and swipe your finger to the left)

· Click Settings

· Click Change PC Settings

· Click General in the left column

· Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be provided on the screen to refresh your PC.

Message 4 of 7 (1,966 Views)

★★★★ Novice

For the past 3 months I have not had an issue with Battlefield 3, but just the other day. I get a message saying; " Origin has encountered a serious problem and must close." I cant even get into Origin anymore. I have had other problems with trying to play this game, Great game, suck butt EA. No one knows how to fix it. So, Im down till they find a fix. that can be a very long time. Good Luck All.

Message 5 of 7 (1,701 Views)

★★★ Newbie

it says ican't open the folers when i try to uninstall.  3 months trying to download TS4 and each time it finishes i get a notice free up space.  this is anew laptop.only thing i downloaded is origin!   FED UP!!!

Message 6 of 7 (363 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with Origin, please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 7 of 7 (346 Views)