Re: Origin Problem - Can't find UpdateTool.exe

by EA_Stephen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Problem - Can't find UpdateTool.exe

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Origin updated today but is now caught in a loop of trying to update each time I start it. After spending a few minutes "updating" it has a message that it cannot find UpdateTool.exe. Click OK. Try to start Origin and we go through the same process again.

Message 1 of 57 (166,183 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

First of all, make sure that you are running Origin in administration mode.

Additionally, ensure that your Firewall and/or Antivirus are not blocking the connection. The easiest way would be adding an exception for the Origin Client.

If that doesn't work, you may need to manually uninstall Origin, reboot your computer and then download a new client from the Origin website.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for being part of Answer HQ Community!
Make sure that you are automatically notified by email when your question gets a reply by clicking the 'Subscriptions' box on the right hand side of the 'New Question' page.
Did a solution help you? Let everybody know by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button.
If you wish to provide further information or answer a question, click on the "Reply" button.
If you are especially happy with someone's response, reward them by clicking on "XP".

View in thread

Message 3 of 57 (165,178 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

I am also having a similar issue... I just purchased The Sims 3 online a couple of weeks ago, and had to download Origin in order to play it. After being able to play The Sims 3 for a little while - all of the sudden I was unable to open Origin in order to play. Instantly after clicking the Origin OR The Sims 3 icons I recieve a pop-up saying "Updatetool.exe has stopped working. Windows will close program and inform you when a solution is found." and then no solution is ever found..... What's going on here?? I paid for this game just a number of weeks ago - and I am VERY frusterated that I'm suddenly unable to play due to some 'Update' that doesn't work?

Thanks for talking your time to review my concern, and I look forward to getting a solution!

Message 2 of 57 (164,469 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

First of all, make sure that you are running Origin in administration mode.

Additionally, ensure that your Firewall and/or Antivirus are not blocking the connection. The easiest way would be adding an exception for the Origin Client.

If that doesn't work, you may need to manually uninstall Origin, reboot your computer and then download a new client from the Origin website.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for being part of Answer HQ Community!
Make sure that you are automatically notified by email when your question gets a reply by clicking the 'Subscriptions' box on the right hand side of the 'New Question' page.
Did a solution help you? Let everybody know by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button.
If you wish to provide further information or answer a question, click on the "Reply" button.
If you are especially happy with someone's response, reward them by clicking on "XP".
Message 3 of 57 (165,179 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have also had the same problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled origin without any luck. I'm still getting the 'UpdateTool.exe has stopped working' message. It's very frustrating as I can't access my games.

Here are the details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: UpdateTool.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 51a7e978

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18541

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec3e3d5

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0003bbe9

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 8854

Additional Information 2: b33f94a85418267e2657fd76fe5ff8db

Additional Information 3: a1e8

Additional Information 4: 2da2717c7433b9a11a955b6d8060f13c

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Message 4 of 57 (164,405 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i tried doing that with mine and origin still wont open Confusedmileysad:

Message 5 of 57 (164,359 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Still can not load Origin even after uninstall and reloaded...

Message 6 of 57 (164,097 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had, repeat HAD, that same problem. I fixed it by uninstall Origin and restart my computer. Then reinstall Origin.

Message 7 of 57 (161,181 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Running the program as Administrator worked for me.

Message 8 of 57 (80,896 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have done all of the above and it still has not fixed the issue. Please contact me ASAP to fix this issue. Thank you so much. I'm running windows 8.1 and the games ran fine for two weeks. I didn't update anything and one day this error just popped up.
Message 9 of 57 (80,417 Views)

EA Staff

Try doing a Clean Boot and then trying to launch Origin. Also please make sure that your firewall/antivirus is not blocking Origin. You can also try manually uninstalling the client and the installing again. You can find the steps to do the in the following article: https://help.ea.com/article/manually-uninstalling-origin

Message 10 of 57 (80,412 Views)