Online head to head between Xbox X and Xbox one

by Pullisc5

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Online head to head between Xbox X and Xbox one

★ Novice

We recently purchased an Xbox X and Madden 21 but cannot figure out how to play a head to head matchup against a friend playing on an Xbox One.  We are friends on the Xbox Home Screen but not in Madden.  They do not show up on friend list in Madden and the Invite to Play option isn’t available for me to select.  So I don’t know if there is a block on head to head gaming but I cannot find where that setting is prohibited. Any advise?

Message 1 of 6 (754 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Online head to head between Xbox X and Xbox one

Community Manager (retired)

Hey there @Pullisc5 Cross-play is currently not supported in between the Xbox Series X and Xbox One, which is why you are not able to a head to head against your friend.

EA_Joz

Joz.png
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey! If a post Answered your question, please click on Accept as Solution.
Thank players and help them 'Level Up' by giving them XP.
Want to learn more on how to level-up and become a Hero for the AHQ? Learn more about it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage#ranks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (716 Views)

All Replies

Hey there @Pullisc5 Cross-play is currently not supported in between the Xbox Series X and Xbox One, which is why you are not able to a head to head against your friend.

EA_Joz

Joz.png
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to learn more on how to level-up and become a Hero for the AHQ? Learn more about it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage#ranks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 6 (717 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for the response and in all honesty, I’m a little bummed to read this.  Do you think this will be available as an option in the future?  We read online that the two systems would be able cross-play otherwise we wouldn’t have bought the X yet.  Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 6 (711 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EA_Joz I just found a related thread where @EA_Blueberry wrote 3 weeks ago (see Solved: Can’t play against friends on madden21 (series x/one) - Answer HQ):

>>>

Are you launching the Gen4 version of Madden NFL 21 from your Series X? You have to do that to play your friends who are still on previous gen consoles.

There is an option for both on your console. Do you see it under My Games & Apps?

<<<

is this information incorrect?

____________________________________________________________________________________
        Positive Play - Feel the emotions, but be aware what they are telling you!
Joy: you like it! Anger: you don't like it! Frustration: you don't like it but cannot do
     anything against it! Aggression: you don't like it and want to break something.
____________________________________________________________________________________
                   Tell everybody (@joy), give constructive feedback (@anger),
                    ask for help (frustration), and have a break (@aggression)!
                     I try to help out other players, but I'm not an EA employee

Message 4 of 6 (707 Views)

@Neo_Novalis That information is correct. You can play with your friends if you launch the Gen 4 version of the game on Gen 5 but you can't play with your friends with the Gen 5 version is they are on Gen 4.

@Pullisc5 Just like I mentioned above, you are still able to play with your friends on Gen 4, you just have to launch the Gen 4 version which is available to you on Gen 5. 

EA_Joz

Joz.png
Message 5 of 6 (692 Views)

★ Novice

Ok thanks.  Now I need to learn how to launch the Gen4 version.  I will see what I can find online but if you could offer any help, I’d appreciate it.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 6 (677 Views)