Re: Notification sounds on Android

by Belanar

Original Post

Notification sounds on Android

★★★★★ Novice

The Android version of this game seems to be using some sketchy API calls to do notifications. Specifically it seems to be setting an alarm to get a sound to trigger instead of using the notification API. That means that you get a sound even if you turn off notification sounds (or even if you turn off notification permissions entirely), which is inappropriate. The game doesn't produce these sounds at night which is some consolation but it turns them back on at 7am every day which is very annoying if I don't want to wake up at 7am. This has caused me to turn off notifications entirely in PvZ even though I would like to get them.

Message 1 of 3 (714 Views)

Community Manager

@Belanar I have never seen the issue you are experiencing if I turn notification sounds off then I get no notifications from PVZ:H. Have you checked your phone setting to ensure that you have noting strange set up?

Darko.png
Message 2 of 3 (697 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Well, I don't know how to check for "strange" things in general but I don't have anything weird or customized about my phone. What I observed (which led me to conclude the use of the alarm API but I don't really know that's how it's happening):

I am running Android 8.0.0. PvZ:H would make a sound every time I got a notification from it. This continued even if I turned notification sounds off for PvZ:H in the "app permissions / notifications / allow sound" for PvZ:H.

Then I tried turning off notification permissions entirely for PvZ:H from the app permissions setting. I didn't get the notifications any more but the sound still happened whenever I would have gotten a notification (whenever my event boost refreshed, or at 7am).

Also I should note that the sound occurred even when I had my "media" sounds turned off and only had "alarm" sounds turned on. It also happened when I had the phone set to "priority only" which only lets through alarm sounds and designated apps. These are what led me to believe that PvZ:H was using the alarm API.

Finally I turned off notifications from within the app and then the sound finally stopped.

Message 3 of 3 (686 Views)