Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: No sound on PC installation

by FriesenGamin-TTV

Original Post

Accepted Solution

No sound on PC installation

★★★★ Novice

Running on a fairly new Alienware laptop (6mth old).  No issues running other games.  Sound works great.  DirectX12.  However, I have no sound in this game.  Any thoughts?  Graphics look good... game looks to be running fine... just no sound.  I have tried to check the obvious but when I get out of the game... sound is working fine.

Message 1 of 9 (745 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Apprentice

That's super weird.

If you click the speaker icon in the Windows taskbar and then the arrow in the upper right corner (if you have more than one), what playback devices does it report that you have installed?

What I'm thinking is perhaps the game for some reason picks the wrong playback device (one that isn't actually active), and if it does you may be able to create a temporary workaround by disabling playback devices in device manager.

View in thread

Message 5 of 9 (860 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice

Have you tried switching between surround and stereo in the audio settings in the game?

Also try disconnecting everything you have hooked up to the laptop (even mouse/keyboard). If the audio works at that point, try reconnecting stuff one at a time until you find the culprit.

Message 2 of 9 (737 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Nice suggestions... I thought of all of those too... since those were what others had suggested in other posts.  No luck.  I have switched the sound from wide to narrow... from stereo to surround... no luck.  Again, the video plays nice... everything else seems to be running fine.

Message 3 of 9 (732 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Additionally... I did remove all the external connections... keyboard... mouse.. and just worked with the laptop keyboard and track pad... no luck.

Message 4 of 9 (730 Views)

★★ Apprentice

That's super weird.

If you click the speaker icon in the Windows taskbar and then the arrow in the upper right corner (if you have more than one), what playback devices does it report that you have installed?

What I'm thinking is perhaps the game for some reason picks the wrong playback device (one that isn't actually active), and if it does you may be able to create a temporary workaround by disabling playback devices in device manager.

Message 5 of 9 (861 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Excellent theory... I had tried all those... then I thought of something that you said... that it might be confusing something...  That was it!

Specifically... my laptop is hooked up a Dell 34in wide screen monitor.  Now, while initially trying to play, I was only playing on my laptop's monitor thus... it did not dawn on me that would be the issue... but since it is hooked up to my laptop via HDMI cable... that can push both video and audio (for those that did not know).  I normally do not use my external monitor for sound... I have speakers hooked up through my speaker out jack... but this game want to see that and assumes that sound is through that as well since there is no other config in the game menu to manipulate.  How did I figure it out?  I looked at the video setting... and it was registering my Dell monitor as the video out.. and not my laptop monitor.  *WEIRD*  However, excellent suggestion Harald and that spawned me to check my video which led me to figure out this weird issue.  Literally my audio out was disabled for all but my speaker out... yet the game decided to use the HDMI connection as the default audio too.  The work around if I did not want this... just unplug the HDMI cable.  Again.. Harald you specifically mentioned unplugging all devices... and I missed that one... so you get the credit again.

It is working.  FYI... if you have using an HDMI cable to your external monitor... beware that the game might try to use your monitor for an audio output device (if your monitor has speakers).

Message 6 of 9 (710 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This was exactly what it was for me, the game set my windows sound to my monitor. Alt-tab out, switched back. works no problem now.

Message 7 of 9 (708 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Now to be clear... I can get it to work sound wise... through my monitor or my headphone (bluetooth Bose)... but not through the headphone jack.  Now someone might say that it is how you configure the audio out... but I have tried multiple methods... disabling this or that... and I can only get it to work through the two I mentioned earlier.  Trying to get sound through my headphone jack on my laptop to power my speakers... is just failing.  Interesting issue.

Message 8 of 9 (700 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Question for yall, how do you tell what playback device the game is using?  If i Alt Tab out and click on volume mixer it only shows the realtek playback device above the programs.  Just want to make sure I am looking at the thing your talking about.

Message 9 of 9 (599 Views)

me-andromeda-fem

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help