Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: No sound Whatsoever

by FriesenGamin-TTV

Original Post

Accepted Solution

No sound Whatsoever

★★★★ Novice

Mass Effect Launches fine, but on the loading screen and during game play there is no sound whatsoever. Any other programs run fine and have functional sound, but so far everything I've done hasn't worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just wanna play this game.

Message 1 of 22 (5,700 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

For those of you with the alienware being the problem, I've finally found a fix. Go into your sound settings and change it to 24 bit, 48,000 Hz (if it isn't already on that). If that doesn't resolve the problem, uninstall your sound drivers, reinstall, then restart your computer. A completely fresh reinstall made it work fine for me. Hope this helps you guys!

View in thread

Message 20 of 22 (6,355 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

I have to turn off my sound on my computer, open the game, change from medium to dynamic in sound settings, tab out to turn computer sounds back on and then i'll have sound. Even with this, i'll lose sound every hour and a half or so. 

Message 2 of 22 (5,656 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem when I try to play the game on my Alienware 17 R4.  No sound through the speakers or headphone jack.  However when I plug into my desktop monitor using HDMI cable I get sound through my desktop monitor.  I also checked that the device windows was using for sound was my laptop speakers and not my monitor.  Any ideas?

Message 3 of 22 (5,635 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Another user has also discovered that the game pushes audio through HDMI if possible even though it's not the active playback device. Can't remember what he did, but you should be able to disable HDMI audio in device manager if nothing else.

Message 4 of 22 (5,626 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have a Alienware 17 R4 as well and have the same issue.  Did you find an answer?

Message 5 of 22 (5,623 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have not found a solution yet.  I tried disabling HDMI for audio out and that did not help.  This is the only game or application for that matter that I have this issue with.

Guess I won't be playing on the couch until this gets patched.

Message 6 of 22 (5,617 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Its also the only program I have an issue with,  everything else works fine.  I can't get sound to play through headphones or the laptop speakers.  I am about to hook it up to the hotel tv and see if I get sound through HDMI

Message 7 of 22 (5,611 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Interesting when I am hooked up to the tv through HDMI the sound works coming out of the TV but not my laptop

Message 8 of 22 (5,608 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Try alt+tab out of the game, and change the audio playback device. Seems the game changes it to HDMI when it starts if it can. Here's the other post on this issue:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/No-sound-on-PC-installation/m-p/5939761#M1994

You could also try to uninstall the HDMI audio device in device manager, but Windows may reinstall automatically.

Message 9 of 22 (5,603 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I only have my headphones/speakers showing up in my playback devices.  There isnt a hidden device either, at least not one that shows up if I cycle the hidden button

Message 10 of 22 (5,597 Views)

me-andromeda-fem

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help