Re: NHL 21 randomly crashes

by EA_Aljo

Original Post

NHL 21 randomly crashes

★★★ Novice

I’m having issues where the game will freeze and crash. It happens 1/10 games. Randomly during the game. Any time for no reason. I’ll be playing then I get a weird freezing sound and the game crashes and puts me to the Xbox Home Screen. I am currently using my Xbox series x but it also happens on my one x. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game as well as tried on an external drive and the onboard ssd. Please help. 

Message 1 of 26 (1,813 Views)

Community Manager

Hi there, @xxkillabeatxx.

Which mode or modes is this happening? Also, do you have the game installed on an internal or external hard drive. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 26 (1,792 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo It’s really only happens when playing in the eashl clubs. And It’s happened on both internal and external. And it does it on my one x and my series x. A cpl other guys I play with have had it happen as well.
Message 3 of 26 (1,786 Views)

Community Manager

@xxkillabeatxx 

Sorry about that. I see you had already mentioned trying both internal and external. Anyway, this is a pretty tricky one since it's happening on both consoles. Since it's only happening with clubs, it could be an odd combination of customizations or a unique series of events. Have you noticed anything about when the crash happens? Like, always happening on a PP/PK or when a player gets injured or a fight occurs, etc.

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 26 (1,780 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo Not really. It seems pretty random. No specific period or position. It’s happened as a G and skater. Always during gameplay. I’m going to try and get a video of it happening. Maybe you guys will see something I don’t. Or maybe even re create it. Now I will add this didn’t happen until you guys fixed the issue with the series x and s where we would drop from the pregame issue.
Message 5 of 26 (1,773 Views)

Community Manager

@xxkillabeatxx 

One weird issue we've seen with WoC, mainly when it comes to Threes, is having a custom gamerpic can cause games not to connect. Your issue is a bit different, but it's still an odd one. If you have a custom gamerpic, try swapping it with a default one and let me know if that helps or not.

Aljo.png
Message 6 of 26 (1,770 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo I’ve tried the gamer pic change. I’ve changed my DNS and a bunch of other things. I don’t think it’s a connection issue. I only play eashl I haven’t played any other modes to see if it happens there. It almost feels like a system overload. Like it’s trying to dump the cache mid game and just freezes out. Game goes still a weird sound for like 5-6 seconds and game crashes and closes completely. I’ll more than likely play tonight or tomorrow and I’ll record my game play to try and get it to happen.
Message 7 of 26 (1,759 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@xxkillabeatxx 

Do you have another console you can try? That would help us rule out any hardware issues. Also, it can't hurt to clear your persistent storage. To do that go to Settings > Devices & Connections > Blu-ray > Persistent Storage. It's a long shot, but we're running out of things to try here. Do you recall if this started happening after changing any of your equipment?

Aljo.png
Message 8 of 26 (1,750 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo I’ve done all that. And it’s done it on my one x as well. I’m not sure. I’ve tried almost everything I can think of on my end. So I’ll try and recreate it
Message 9 of 26 (1,736 Views)

Community Manager

@xxkillabeatxx 

Does it happen for both home and away games?

Aljo.png
Message 10 of 26 (1,711 Views)