Re: NHL 21 Input lag in HUT

by Temets

Original Post

NHL 21 Input lag in HUT

★ Apprentice

So, I have had some input lag while playing HUT. I had this problem in NHL 20 also. 

In HUT, I just played a game where I had ONLY 9 ping and had pretty much input lag. It is not HUGE, but still affects pretty much to my gameplay. And this is not a special case, its there every game. Same as the last year. 

In Online Versus, I have no input lag AT ALL!    I just played a versus game (after HUT game to compare), where I had over 40 ping and had normal delay that 40 ping causes and was able to play perfectly. With 10 ping in Online Versus is like playing Offline. 

In Offline, I have never experienced any input lag.

So the main question here is: Why there is such a big difference between HUT and Online Versus gameplay? Online versus works just like it should but HUT lags every time.

Is there anything to fix the lag?

More info:

Console: PS4

Connection: Wired

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 85 (6,307 Views)

Community Manager

Hi there, @Temets.

Thanks for reaching out to us. The big difference between Online Versus and HUT is that Online Versus is on a peer to peer connection and HUT uses dedicated servers. if you're in a more remote area and farther from your closest server, your connection could be worse in HUT since Online Versus will look for an opponent close to you and establish a peer to peer connection. However, if you regularly have a ping of 9 in your HUT games, that's an excellent connection so I don't know why you'd be getting any input delay. Unless it has to do with your display. You may want to look up the input delay for it. You can always try using alternate DNS servers. Those instructions are here.If you don't see a difference, try the Google DNS servers. Those are: Primary alt number 8.8.8.8 - Secondary alt number 8.8.4.4. Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 85 (6,285 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

Tried both (Alternate and Google) DNS servers and it didn't help. In first game I had 10 ping and the second 11 ping. Still the problem occurs. 

Normally I have set my own IP as a DNS server and I have static IP, because I tried opening ports in the NHL 20 but it didn't help and I never changed it back.

I have been thinking about my display too because I have pretty old TV. But I still don't have any input lag while offline or Online versus. I have Game mode ON and PC-mode ON and they both help because without those I have a little input lag in Offline too. 

Message 3 of 85 (6,260 Views)

Community Manager

@Temets 

How bad is the input lag? Is it at all possible to get a video of it happening? Have you checked your router to see if QoS (Quality of Service) is an option? If so, make sure it's enabled.

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 85 (6,253 Views)

★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo

QoS is an option and it is enabled.

If I am being honest the input lag is not THAT bad but still it is noticable. When I have talked with my friends it is always hard to tell how bad the delay/lag is. I can live with the lag but I still prefer Online Versus since there is no delay at all.

I am able to play and it is not gamebreaking or anything. The game just could be more enjoyable for me with less delay.

Just wanted to post this here if you could give some tips that I could try (as you did) to fix it/make it better. But if there is not way to fix it I am totally fine with that and I appriciate your help.
Message 5 of 85 (6,248 Views)

Community Manager

@Temets 

Where are you located? It's entirely possible Online Versus could perform better due to being on a P2P connection.

Aljo.png
Message 6 of 85 (6,246 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo

I live in one of the biggest cities in Finland and in a pretty populated area.

It just seems like I do better on P2P connection.
Message 7 of 85 (6,219 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo

I just played a Rivals match where I had 30 ping and delay was much worse. Seems like higher ping makes it even worse.

Maybe I just have some kind of problem with dedicated servers.

By the way, I tried to record the lag somehow but you can't see it from replays. You should see my controller at the same time as the game to notice it.

Message 8 of 85 (6,212 Views)

Community Manager

@Temets 

You shouldn't be terribly far from the server then so it's interesting that Online Versus is performing better for you. Do you have a PC by chance? If so let’s find out how your connection is reaching our servers. Can you run a UO Trace and screenshot me the results? Instructions are here.

Aljo.png
Message 9 of 85 (6,193 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

Here is UO Trace screenshot. I did it with my laptop, which is using wireless connection, if it matters.

Message 10 of 85 (6,186 Views)