Re: NFS Heat launches with a black screen (windowed) and then quits

by EA_Barry

Original Post

NFS Heat launches with a black screen (windowed) and then quits

★★★★★ Novice

So....I run into a similar problem as seen here on the forum.  The game launches and then quits without error or message that indicates a failure.  Prior Installed NFS games launch OK, so it seems isolated to this game.

But in spirit of everyone's advice, I've tried cleaning the Origin Cache, reinstalling the game.  I also tried a reset (fresh) installation of windows, with a clean install of Origin and this just game. No luck.

Pretty decent hardware:

AMD 3900x on Asus x570 Crosshair Hero VIII

Dual U3417W monitors (6880x1440) (NVidia Surround)

Nvidia 2080 TI 

32GB RAM

NVME Raid 1.8TB

Windows 10 1909

Any thoughts on where to go next.  Short of lowering my resolution or disabling surround, this is a clean install.

Thanks,

jpwalters

Message 1 of 9 (3,310 Views)

Community Manager

@jpwalters1 

Can you try playing with just one monitor connected?

Do you have enough time to press Alt+Enter before it quits?

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 9 (3,277 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks for writing back to me Barry!  

Yes, so I had been reading about the alt-enter trick to try to force out of windowed mode (Full Screen), but no luck there.  It seems to ignore me or crashes before it can respond.

I turned off the display surround in NVIDIA Control Panel, and disabled the other monitor.  It still does the same thing (quitting) about 5 or 10 seconds into it or so.

I did once or twice in my dozens of attempts, (can't say what happened differently), have a scenario where it stayed launched, and stayed in task manager, but could not switch to it, or could not find it.  I assume it was thinking it was in full screen mode, but definitely still working with Windows 10 desktop.  It was consuming resources, yet the only thing I could really do was end the task.

Still sort of at a loss.

Thanks,

jpwalters1

Message 3 of 9 (3,262 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I tried today's update v1.4, was hoping it would help fix the issue.  The update installed, but unfortunately, I still get the black windowed screen that quits after a few seconds.  Again, not able to switch to fullscreen (Alt-Enter).

Thanks,

jpwalters

Message 4 of 9 (3,222 Views)

Re: Black screen issue after patch

★★★★★ Novice
@McLubezy I am having a similar result. I tried a clean install of Windows, Nvidia drivers, etc. Not sure what's going on. Tried the suggested Alt+Enter to try to get full-screen, but it crashes before it gets that far. I ran the patch, hoping to see some magic, but no luck!
Message 5 of 9 (2,914 Views)

★ Novice

I have this problem too. I haven't got a very costly PC but the problem is  same. I uninstall and install the game  but the problem is stay. I click the play button and the game is open windowed mode and 5-10 second after the game is closed himself. I don't do any. I'm curious the game and I don't want money throw away.

Thank you for the rapid answer

Have a nice day!  

H4RmYxDD

Message 6 of 9 (3,170 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm also still having the exact same problem ever since the update i was forced to do on 12 December.

Please EA, any comment on progress for a solution?

Message 7 of 9 (3,123 Views)

★★★ Newbie

As a heads up to people try unplugging any additional devices from your pc that you are not using, ive been having this game issue for over 6 months and today i finally fixed it. how? unplugging an Xbox360 guitar hero dongle! so because I had that and a xbox one wireless adapter plugged in I guess it confused the game and caused it to not boot, so only plug in the devices you need to use at the time!

Message 8 of 9 (2,572 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Works now tyvm. Same applies to controller plugged in when launching. Just plug it back in when its launched at ur good. Legend

Message 9 of 9 (1,872 Views)