Re: My star wars battlefront 2 won't start up in Origin

by NavarDerth

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My star wars battlefront 2 won't start up in Origin

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

My game won't start up in Origin after the first hours of playing. I open origin manager and see it in there, then closes and opens Origin window back up. I've tried going to folder and opening as Administrator....nothing. Rebooting PC nothing. Restarting Origin does nothing.

My star wars battlefront 1, in the other side, goes normal in origin.

Please help.

Message 1 of 21 (30,371 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@GothTradFR 

If you're having some trouble launching the game in Origin do these solutions help get it up and running? We've seen others find success launching the game as administrator (right-click on the desktop shortcut) or by right-clicking on the game in Origin and then select Play from the drop down list.

Solution #1

Solution #2

Solution #3

Blueberry.png

View in thread

Message 17 of 21 (22,739 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@kostaras1982

Have you tried to Repair the game via Origin client? Also, try to disable your Antivirus, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall.  If that doesn't help, try to run a clean boot on your PC and check the game: https://help.ea.com/tr/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Message 2 of 21 (30,280 Views)

[ Edited ]
This happens to me a few times and like you I tried everything but 1 thing that works for me is shutting down my system and booting up again don't know why this works when restart don't but hey at least it works
Edit spellings
Message 3 of 21 (30,277 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Got the same issue a couple of time , nothing really work. Tried restart , deleting the setting, repair... Seem to just work after a while. Can't be sure if any of those trick do any good. Sometime it work after launching another game. Can be random... 

Message 4 of 21 (30,267 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I didn't do anything with the computer, no new installation, no new updates for days. All other games worked fine (Need for Speed, BF4, first Battlefront), but BF2 would not launch - it always appeared for about 5 seconds in Task Manager and then disappeared - the game window would not appear. Origin show I was playing the game for few seconds, then return to being online out of the game. Windows Event log registered no problem, no failure anywhere. Windows acted as if I launched the game, then quit it and evering was fine. I tried EVERYTHING to fix this and nothing worked. I tried Origin update. I tried Origin repair. I tried deleting game exe files and Origin Repair. I tried deleting game Documents folder with settings. I tried removing all Origin folders from AppData and ProgramData folders. I tried Origin reinstallation. I tried game reinstallation (freaking 64GB again took me 18 hours to download!). During the game download I could start the game and play Arcade tutorial, but once the download finished the game would not start again. I tried running the PC in diagnostic mode. I tried running a restore point to return system few days back. I tried reinstalling Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable packages both x86 and x64. I tried updating Windows (no updates available). I tried updating nVidia drivers. I tried to run the game as administrator. I tried launching the game in offline mode. I tried raising process priority. I tried launching the game through exe file without being logged to Origin. I tried running the game with edited game setting file (DX12, DX11, windowed mode etc.). I think I tried fow other thing I can't even remember now, but NOTHING WORKED! I was getting ready to give up on the game. Today I logged in, tried Origin game update (no updates for weeks now) and pressed play button and by some miracle the game launched. So far I tried starting the game about 4 times today and the game always started as if it was not giving me hell all yesterday. The remaining problem is that the game now has terrible performance, especially CPU spikes are bad, it's stuttering like crazy and drops down to red numbers every few seconds for no reason. I play the game since launch and the performance has never been this bad. My specs are i7-4790, 16GB, GTX1080Ti, SSD+HDDs checked with HD Tune. I am not used to games acting rogue out of nowhere. After all the martyrdom of trying to run the game yesterday I am really affraid to try Origin repair as it might make the game unlaunchable again.

So my advice is: Do not do anything and try to launch the game after few hours or next day. Hope it helps.

Message 5 of 21 (30,256 Views)

★ Apprentice
Same with me Navarderth............... I have done almost everything you have done. pretty much the only difference is that I'm running an 8 core Ryzen and an RX 580. This is the latest and greatest of the issues I already been having with this game. This is the absolute worst PC game experience I have since I stated PC gaming in the mid 90's. I can't even load a game that doesn't run right in the first place....Does that make any sense!? EA????????????
Message 6 of 21 (30,233 Views)

★★★ Novice
Check to see if you have windows 1709, this causes an annoying af crash on PC. I click start and a black windowed screen pops up for a few seconds and then disappears. One fix is to revert back to 1703 for windows 10, and another post that could help is https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Can-t-start-the-game/td-p/6489518
Message 7 of 21 (30,206 Views)

★★ Novice

Over a year and a half later and this problem is still going on. I couldn't get the game to launch for the entire day. Even did an entire reinstall, 7 hours of downloading, still not able to launch. I bought this game from release day and it's one problem after another, either it's full system seize at random, only caused by this game, or it won't launch at all for no reason, it worked yesterday but not today and there has been no update. This is the last EA/DICE game I will ever purchase, the support is so bad, I will also tell all my friends not to support EA and DICE.

Message 8 of 21 (23,538 Views)

Community Manager

@Lactios 

Are you able to start up the game after a clean boot? Try a clean boot and then immediately launch Origin as administrator by right-clicking on the desktop shortcut. This way we can see if it's a process in the background causing it that we'll have to narrow it down to.

Check to see if you have any updates for Windows 10 and whether your video card came out with a recent driver update. I know this tech stuff can get frustrating but we're all here to help get you back into the game, keep us updated.

How to Clean Boot your PC

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

PC Troubleshooting

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/pc-graphics-troubleshooting/

Blueberry.png
Message 9 of 21 (23,421 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@DarTHellmeTTotally agree, it's pathetic. Obligatory "I work in software" - I do and have for years. For them to have a launcher which doesn't realize it's failing to launch the game, doesn't give any error information and just fails silently is pathetic. Marking every thread on here as "Solved" with no widely-repeatable solution is BS. Mods giving the same list of "do everything except make us accept we have an Origin/game issue" is ridiculous. There's clearly an issue with the game launching, Origin or both and it's not because users are at fault.

My guess is the team who worked on Battlefront 2 are long gone onto other projects or elsewhere, and Origin probably has a pretty skeleton support crew. Game-related issues like this are probably addressed more quickly when they affect newer games and revenue sources - I picked up Battlefront 2 cheap so I guess I shouldn't be surprised it doesn't work and EA don't care.

Message 10 of 21 (23,044 Views)