Movie Night Questline bugged in New Game Plus

by The_E_HLP

Original Post

Re: Movie Night Questline bugged in New Game Plus

★★★★★ Apprentice

Possible work around for it...

I found several quest items left in my inventory & found that I can actually sell them, so after completing Quest XYZ you can sell them prior to starting a New Game+ -- No I haven't beaten the game, so I can't verify if they magically re-appear in your inventory upon starting up again.

Message 11 of 74 (2,613 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Pyro411 brings up the bigger issue: special quest items remain in your inventory until sold. This includes Liam's special armor requisition and any Tempest trophies (model ships) you buy from merchants. It should affect all related quests. On the one hand, it might be an easy way to start with certain goodies ahead of time, like those models, but it must be screwing up numerous quests in NG+. The Movie Night questline is probably the worst, since it's a chain, but given the number of bugs with doing things out of order in this game I wouldn't want to tempt fate by keeping any special items across playthroughs (except, perhaps, those ships, which don't have an associated quest).

The ideal fix (IMO) would be to remove these special items automatically from inventory upon fulfilling the associated quest. (Even better, remove those special item blueprints from R&D too! I don't need to be able to craft Liam's stuff repeatedly.) The models are again another matter, as they have no quest, but they're still bugged in that they remain in merchants' inventories and so can be bought multiple times. Those too should be removed as soon as they're bought/placed on display to avoid cluttering the inventories of the PC and the merchants involved. IIRC, that's the way it worked in the OT, so I don't see why it shouldn't be able to be implemented in MEA as well.

Message 12 of 74 (2,599 Views)

★★★ Novice

As far as I can tell, while you can sell Liam's armor, the cybernetic for Alain, and the humane trap, you cannot sell or destroy any items that fall into the special category such as the ships, and the movie night quest items.

I did find that, if I pushed through things and "completed" Liam's final request for the movie then it would count as finished.  I could talk to the others and it would play their scene with me given the item (even if I never got the quest from them, like Lexi and Jaal) but it didn't seem to effect anything.  I didn't actually do the movie night scene after doing that, however.

So it may be safe to speak to Lexi and skip immediately to finishing Liam's final request, since you'll already have the item in your inventory.  Might give that a try and see what happens.

Message 13 of 74 (2,582 Views)

★★★ Novice
Also have this happening on PS4, can confirm these items cannot be sold or destroyed. Hopefully they fix this soon so it's safe to talk to my squad again.
Message 14 of 74 (2,559 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Looks like NG+ is all kinds of buggy. Frown

Message 15 of 74 (2,551 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Update.

Forgot to say I'm playing on PC/Origin.

Tried a few things to see if I could get an unbugged new game+.  Tried restarting the game as Scott instead of playing Sara again to see if that would help.  No dice.  A couple friends said they'd heard you need to completely close the game after finishing it before starting a new game.  I went in and resaved my old game on a new manual save, closed out of the game to desktop, then tried making a new game+ again.  Still no dice.

It would be easier if you didn't have to play the entire prologue through to see your inventory lol.  My friend, also on PC/Origin started his NG+ with no issues.  Lucky.

At this point I'm just 'whatever' about it.  I can play around it and wait for a fix, but figured I'd share in case any of this helps someone else get an unbugged file.

ETA: I'm also getting Gil's letter about playing poker with the crew (Jaal included) before I even recruit Jaal.  No idea if it's in any way connected (probably not) but figured I'd mention it.

Message 16 of 74 (2,492 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Same problem here... Just started a new game+ on PC and after the intro missions I checked my inventory... all special mission items are still in it and no way to get rid off them. I currently parked my new character on the ark to see if Bioware fixes the issue anytime soon before i move on and actually break an interaction with anyone because of said items in the inventory. Its a lil frustrating because I actually was pretty lucky with my first normal run and "just" ended up with a "standby" bug of SAM on the Task: The Watchers... Which is something I could live with. lol

Message 17 of 74 (2,464 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yep, getting this one, too. Triggered it by talking to Lexi after collecting Jaal from Aya on my New Game Plus character, on PC.

Starting to feel like this game is far too unstable to keep playing. I'm going to try and make a new character, but I was really looking forward to tackling new game plus. This is very frustrating.

Message 18 of 74 (2,458 Views)

★★★ Novice
Did skipping talking to Lexi help avoid the bug?
Message 19 of 74 (2,350 Views)

★★★ Guide

Bumping this up.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened when I first got the Tempest. In NG+ the crew were using the same lines I heard when I first played.

Then came Aya...

Liam asks for movie database from the Nexus --- that seems okay, I had to go and grab it

I talk to Lexi, and I get the cutscene where I give her the Akantha drink thingy for the movie night, then the quest jumps to Movie Night: The Final Piece.

Talking to Liam, I get the part where I have to go to Kadara to get the "Last of the Legion".... ugh

Could we just not transfer special quest items when importing characters for an NG+ play?

Or have the special item removed when the mission completes?

Message 20 of 74 (2,327 Views)