Microstuttering when NVIDIA Reflex is enabled

by 7empePL

Original Post

Microstuttering when NVIDIA Reflex is enabled

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Hi,

I play on PC (10900KF + RTX 3090) at 3440x1440 on 200 Hz monitor. G-Sync and V-Sync are enabled. When I set NVIDIA Reflex to "Enabled+Boost" my FPS are capped by NVIDIA driver to 189 FPS as expected (to avoid V-Sync ceiling). However game gets microsttutering with every FPS drop below 189, just like G-Sync would not work. In fact it also stutters at locked 189 FPS... This is especially visible on wide grass fields on Olympus. When NVIDIA Reflex is disabled, everything is smooth, even when FPS drop significantly.

I know how Reflex works - no render queue to narrow the latency may decrease FPS in CPU bound scenario, however when I play CoD Warzone with Reflex being enabled, there are no such issues. Why G-Sync does not eliminate microstuttering in this case?

I also thought that this could be caused by NVIDIA framerate limiter, thus I am using RTSS with FPS cap 185. It is better, but microstuttering still exists when FPS goes much below the capped value.

And side question - why on earth, texture filtering affects FPS so much (e.g. at Olympus' grass fields)?! Difference between bilinear and 16x results with 80-ish loss of FPS. This setting affects FPS more than ambient occlussion (off vs high)...

Cheers,

7empe

Message 1 of 7 (2,034 Views)

Re: Microstuttering when NVIDIA Reflex is enabled

★★★★★ Newbie

I have rtx 3080 and ryzen 5800x, playing apex legends in 1440p 144hz. And same as you using nvidia v-sync, g-sync, RTSS. And everything is smooth until i turn on reflex which caps fps to 138 and causes constant micro stutters. I think its issue with game itself. I keep reflex turned on in nvidia panel but turn it off in game. Im not sure if it finally works or not but i see no difference in input lag.

With warzone reflex works great.

Message 2 of 7 (1,295 Views)

★★★ Newbie

there is setting reflex in nvidia control panel ? idk that hmmm, there is only low latency on nvidia panel

Message 3 of 7 (1,287 Views)

★ Guide
@7empePL Dude. Same. This game feels horrible compared to other games. Devs doesn't care about this issue. Already contacted nvidia and they doesn't seem to give my bug report any chance sadly. Never got a response from them.

If u try the nvidia driver before the reflex implementation, the game is much smoother. (Although i dont recommend it to try it anyway because u miss out alot of features and bug fixes)

Also tried different pc build's, all of them where pretty high-end. Changing stuff in the bios or windows don't help at all. So ea helpers stop asking to change my polling rate! Literally time wasting.
Message 4 of 7 (1,276 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Yes i meant low latency mode. You are right. If im not wrong it works the same as reflex. Im not sure but i think its same thing, i may be wrong.

Message 5 of 7 (1,272 Views)

★ Guide
@karambol2K Reflex skips the whole render queue, to avoid latency issues when gpu bound. Low latency just puts the maximum pre rendered frames to 1
Message 6 of 7 (1,269 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@dynam1ck thx for clarifying
Message 7 of 7 (1,255 Views)