Re: Mass Effect Andromeda directX crash

by LukeMx

Original Post

★★★ Novice

Tossing myself on this DX error train onwards to the "EA start fixing this issue"-station.

I get the same error messages as all of you, tried all the TS-steps that has been posted, and issue persists.

I can play from 5min to multiple hours between the crashes, BUT I always get the crash after cutscenes(just before the loading) or when I either open the map or any terminal.

When the game crashes I can get the simplest; Alt-F4 & restart game, and all the way were I need to hard reset the PC because its stuck on a black screen and not responding to anything.

If this issue isn't solved very soon I will ask for my money back - , tired of tossing money on half finishes/bug infested games.

i7-6700K Skylake 4.0Ghz

DDR4 2133MHz 16GB

GeForce GTX 1080 Aero

Windows 10 Pro (64)

Message 101 of 228 (5,450 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

Hello guys and girls, I solved my problem but it doesn't seem like everyone has, It's great anyways that everyone is replying

I solved it by clearing space on my C drive and disabling my 2nd monitor, I hope this helps some people

Message 102 of 228 (25,506 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Would be nice if this would at least get officially recognized  as an issue rather than the continued response from EA that this is a hardware issue and nothing to do with the game itself.

While I was initially thinking it was something with my system, be it drivers or HWD issues, seeing the volume of other people experiencing the same and the fact that I have no problems in other games I no longer believe this is the case.

Simple recognition that they are aware of this and looking into a resolution would ease my mind and remove the feeling that I once again tossed away good money on a product that does not work. 

Message 103 of 228 (5,411 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

As far as I know, they are. I don't know what US Support (or which one you using) telling you but in Russian Support, ticket was created and sent to Bioware about this issue (at least they told me so lol). Also ea support manager told me, ofcourse it will be patched, but no ETA.

P.S.: Too bad, first users who bought this game became actually a beta-testers for bioware. Frown

Message 104 of 228 (5,393 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello,

Just wanted to post here that I also have the same exact issue and crash with the same error message.  This happens during cut scene transitions.  Like everyone else it might happen 5 minutes into starting the game or 2 hours.  Its just completely random.

i75930k

850Pro Samsung SSD

Asus X99 Deluxe

32gb 3200mhz Trident Z

Pascal Titan X SLI

Windows 10 Pro

Message 105 of 228 (5,334 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@LukeMx 

First I have more than 20 gb of free space on C partition and second I only have one active monitor so I do not see how this is considered as a fix but I'm glad that you solved it atleast for you. Better try playing for a day or two a little longer sessions if popssible to see if you actally solved it. Wink

Message 106 of 228 (5,299 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Why is this marked resolved? Its not resolved. countless people are having issues with this, despite the MANY different solutions that people have presented. The last one I read involved reinstalling win 10 from scratch, worked for 3 people but didn't work for others? Come on..

Message 107 of 228 (5,284 Views)

★ Novice

Hello,

I think I've found a cause and solution to this crash.

I had the exact same problem - frequent DirectX crashes on Tempest and during cutscenes, "out of memory", even though I have 32 Gb RAM and Titan X Pascal SLI with 12 Gb VRAM. So the memory technically can't really be full.

Turns out the problem is in Windows 10 page file or swap file, which is used when the OS is out of RAM. Why isn't even 32 Gb enough is probably due to some bug, as MSI Afterburner shows a maximum of about 11 Gb RAM usage during game play. 

I had the page file on 4 Gb for some reason and increased it to 16 Gb. Just make sure you have enough HD space on your Windows partition. After that, I've played for over 20 hours without a single crash. I did nothing else so it MUST be because of this, as before the crashes happened every few minutes on Tempest and randomly elsewhere.

Google for instructions on how to increase your page file or follows this simple YouTube-video (not my video, credits to the author): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRe_MtNvVSM&t=1s

Hopefully this helps! 

Message 108 of 228 (5,270 Views)

★ Guide

@Renki0507 wrote:

Hello,

I think I've found a cause and solution to this crash.

I had the exact same problem - frequent DirectX crashes on Tempest and during cutscenes, "out of memory", even though I have 32 Gb RAM and Titan X Pascal SLI with 12 Gb VRAM. So the memory technically can't really be full.

Turns out the problem is in Windows 10 page file or swap file, which is used when the OS is out of RAM. Why isn't even 32 Gb enough is probably due to some bug, as MSI Afterburner shows a maximum of about 11 Gb RAM usage during game play. 

I had the page file on 4 Gb for some reason and increased it to 16 Gb. Just make sure you have enough HD space on your Windows partition. After that, I've played for over 20 hours without a single crash. I did nothing else so it MUST be because of this, as before the crashes happened every few minutes on Tempest and randomly elsewhere.

Google for instructions on how to increase your page file or follows this simple YouTube-video (not my video, credits to the author): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRe_MtNvVSM&t=1s

Hopefully this helps! 

Glad you fixed it. Windows always uses the page file to some extent no matter how much RAM you've got. So yes you should definitely not have a low limit, or low amount of free space.

Message 109 of 228 (5,262 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've tried the pagefile suggestion multiples times. either setting the limits manually, multiple ranges of size, to having the system set automatically. I still get the crashes. 

Message 110 of 228 (5,245 Views)