Madden 20 - Connection to peer has been lost

by Guitarkore

Original Post

Madden 20 - Connection to peer has been lost

★★★★ Novice

Anytime I play H2H I get the message "Connection to peer lost" and I get a loss. This happens right at the start of the game, I don't even get to choose a kick off play.

I am on PS4. I have assigned my Ps4 a manual IP and I have gone into my router settings to enable DMZ for that assigned IP, which should open every port needed for online H2H to work without any latency or packets lost on my end.

What the hell is going on? Why can I not play any H2H game without getting kicked? 

Message 1 of 69 (35,669 Views)

Re: Madden 20 - Connection to peer has been lost

Community Manager

@Guitarkore 

That doesn't sound like fun at all to me, let's gets this fixed.

First, do you have Quick Presentation set as your presentation settings? We've detected an issue causing head to head matches to fail when players have changed their presentation settings to Quick Presentation. We're actively working on resolving this issue. At this time, we recommend players do not change their presentation settings.

Second, have you tried these connectivity steps below aside from the router adjustments from your end? 

Basic Connection Troubleshooting

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 69 (35,617 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the generic and scripted reply. Yes  I've tried all of these basic troubleshooting steps that I found when I searched for a solution on Google 7 days ago.

I didn't figure you guys would have a solution. 

To those doing Google searches in the future for a resolution, it seems like this is a result of playing on WiFi, which through my research has been an ongoing issue for the Madden franchise for multiple years.

Maybe the Development team will get this figured out with future adaptations of the franchise  Their still in their infancy with only 30+ years of experience. /s

Message 3 of 69 (35,606 Views)

Community Manager

@Guitarkore 

A wired connection is always advised for games over a WiFi connection for a more consistent connection. I know it's not always possible for everyone depending on how setups are in their households though. With millions of other players on different router setups, ISPs, bandwidth speeds, weather, and outside factors there will be reports of disconnections. It's not always the servers and can be addressed through network troubleshooting.

Depending on where the router is in the house and the console, if the signal has to travel through multiple walls or people walk in front of the signal path that can potentially cause disruption. Do you have your WiFi on the console set for your 2.4Ghz or 5GHz frequency? Here's a quick rundown on their difference, if you haven't switched yet try that:

"The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance. 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds. Range : how far your data can travel."

Are there other devices in the house streaming or downloading at the same time? That can up bandwidth that's being shared. If that's the case, the connection can slow down and more susceptible to disconnections.

Let us know if you're interested in troubleshooting this. I've been disconnected before in some close matchups and where I was winning in the 4th quarter in past Madden titles. Luckily, rebooting the network fixes it but I can't imagine frustration where it happens over and over again. We're here to help if you need it.

Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 69 (35,589 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am experiencing all of the same things along with everyone I know who plays this game. Me + 6 others experience “connection to peer has been lost” or “lost connection to EA madden servers, this game will not record as a lost” HOWEVER, it records it as a loss. I do not want to even play this game anymore, neither do any of my friends just knowing that we are going to work up a 6 - win, just to lose. This needs to be fixed, this has not happened to me this much in any other madden game ever. Disappointed.

Message 5 of 69 (35,317 Views)

★★ Novice

They finally addressed this in today's update

• Reduced the chances of encountering a disconnect from online games when transitioning into gameplay. Additional fixes remain under investigation for future title updates. 
Message 6 of 69 (35,224 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

If they fixed it today, they did a poor job.  I had a guy quit before kickoff and i got the loss.  I expect this from the NHL series not Madden

Message 7 of 69 (35,205 Views)

Community Manager

@Fergy_27 

Which game mode are you getting booted from? A loss indicates your connection broke off from the servers first from that match.

Are you up for some quick troubleshooting to see if we can eliminate it for you? Let us know what platform you play on and if you can run a quick UO Trace so we can see how your connection is reaching our servers, we'll get a clear picture on what the root cause could be.

UO Trace Download
https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Blueberry.png
Message 8 of 69 (35,183 Views)

★ Novice

I have this issue on over probably 40% of the head to head games i play, I can be winning with 10 seconds left... lost connection and get the loss. Also alot of time I dont even get to kick off get the disconnect and the loss. Love the game but starting to become huge issue.

Message 9 of 69 (35,139 Views)

★★ Novice
@Guitarkore Finally someone else with the same mindset I have. This is a joke!
Message 10 of 69 (35,096 Views)