Re: Linux players getting banned

by Nutmayr

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

arch linux, mangohud with proton experimental on steam.

no notifications / no email / no justification - just get kicked after trying to join any game mode

couple thousand hours, badges, skins and  heirlooms down the drain... pls fix.

Message 11 of 494 (2,865 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@C0N50L3C4T You weren't using Proton-GE 7-49? That was the common thing between all of the cases so far. This shows the issue is even wider spread of an issue than we thought already. EA & Respawn need to sort something out here. They need to talk to Epic wrt. EAC detecting this as a cheat, too.
Message 12 of 494 (2,838 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Same problem. I use both a Steam Deck as well as an Ubuntu 22.10 desktop using the default Proton version provided by Steam and no custom launch options. I can get into the home screen to select which mode to play. As soon as matchmaking is complete and loading screens are passed I get the same "The client's game account has been banned: Banned" message. This account ban problem isn't isolated to Proton-GE.

Message 13 of 494 (2,824 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue here. Running on Ubuntu with the default version of Proton.

Message 14 of 494 (2,776 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It would be nice for an EA community manager to join the thread and confirm that this will be escalated now that there's a significant number of people all the with the same issue. @Nutmayr@C0N50L3C4T & @HappyDagger weren't even using Proton-GE. My third ban appeal was declined, quote: "We have performed all investigations possible on this issue and will not reverse the decision. Please do not expect further responses on this matter."

Message 15 of 494 (2,743 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I've got the same issue as well, Proton Experimental here. I used Feral gamemode and OBS while playing, that's it
Message 16 of 494 (2,717 Views)

★★ Novice

Looks like a lot of people are getting the false positives for playing on Linux after the latest updates. I'll probably just not play for a few weeks until they fix whatever is going on here. I really don't want my account getting randomly flagged.

Message 17 of 494 (2,696 Views)

★★★ Novice

I got banned also. I'm on Arch + KDE, using Proton GE and mangohud.

Really hope devs would look into this.

No one on Steamdeck affected so far?

Message 18 of 494 (2,672 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Quick update. Next day, possibly around 20 hours after randomly getting kicked out of game.

Received an automated email, and it is now visible in https://help.ea.com/en/my-ban-history/

From generic email:

You break our rules (https://www.ea.com/terms-of-service#section6) if you:
• use software that interferes with or disrupts an EA Service or another user’s account.
• use undocumented features, exploits or cheats in-game that disrupts an EA Service or another user’s account.
• use software or cheats that disconnects other users from the EA servers. 

From infraction history:

Infraction History
Game: APEX_LEGENDS
Type: Ban
Reason: 
Date: 28/Feb/23 10:27 AM UTC

Reason missing.

Message 19 of 494 (2,646 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Hey, thank you for your huge commitment!
I`ve also been banned while still in bed this Saturday morning.

As of March 2022, Apex Legends is considered safe via ProtonGE, I've been playing it on Linux since May 2022 and haven't thought about switching back because it runs so well. 

A week ago, the game seemed to slow down from time to time, and look now we`re here.

I`ve been putting all my hopes in the ToS team that they can determine the reason for the false bans and get us back in the game at some point.
According to their messages, this might sound quite optimistic.

Hopefully, more people will come here and leave a post.

Launch Options: ProtonGE without vkBasalt, GameMode, No-Intro & unlocked FrameCap

Message 20 of 494 (2,633 Views)