Limp stick: microsoft FFB2 joystick without centering force

by kotori87

Original Post

Limp stick: microsoft FFB2 joystick without centering force

★★★ Newbie

Ahoy folks. I am having some difficulty with my joystick. I have a very nice Microsoft FFB2 force feedback joystick that I use in combat sims like IL2. I would like to use it with Star Wars Squadrons as well, but this game does not appear to support force feedback. While I hardly expect realistic flight forces from an arcade space sim, most FFB sticks default to powered centering when a game doesn't support force feedback. That is, using the FFB motors to return the stick to center position, just like the spring on non-FFB sticks.

Right now, Star Wars Squadrons is not doing this for me, resulting in a very sad, limp stick in my hand. It is very difficult to fly in a straight line. I have searched the menus to no avail. Is there a solution that doesn't require third party software? Swapping out for an alternate joystick is not an option since that would require significant disassembly of the sim pit I use for other games.

Message 1 of 5 (358 Views)

Re: Limp stick: microsoft FFB2 joystick without centering force

★★★★★ Novice

Hey Kotori, I'll be the bearer of bad news here...it is extremely unlikely the game will ever support force feedback. There are no mentions to it that I am aware of and only a VERY small percentage of people have been bugged by it. That said, in an atmospheric environment, FF would make sense on an actual ship, but in space where there is no resistance, it doesn't. 

So short answer.. No, there are no solutions without third part software. Even then, other inputs wont work as intended as most of the workarounds involve emulating an Xbox 360 controller. Squadrons doesn't take kindly to "multiple inputs" so it's a mess when attempting to emulate other hardware. 

Sorry for the bad news and hope it doesn't deter you!

Message 2 of 5 (349 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I don't care about the lack of feedback. What I care about is the game disabling my stick's automatic response to a lack of feedback. If there is no feedback from the game, the joystick automatically reverts to force-centering mode, without any special requirements from the game itself. In order to make the stick go limp like what I'm seeing, there must be some sort of signal from the game itself telling the stick that there are forces, and the forces are zero. How do I disable that?

Message 3 of 5 (324 Views)

★ Guide
"Right now, Star Wars Squadrons is not doing this for me, resulting in a very sad, limp stick in my hand"

I know the feeling, this entire game makes me flaccid
Message 4 of 5 (321 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Since auto centering doesn't work, the game somehow enable a non-working Force Feedback for the stick. 

Try to turn off (or on if everything is disabled already) on anything that has to do with "Vibration" in the Controller options in-game (and possibly restart the game) and see if that helps.

Message 5 of 5 (284 Views)