Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 - Unable to launch with dedicated graphics.

by bbonator

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 - Unable to launch with dedicated graphics.

★★ Novice

Hello all, hope you are doing fine. 

I am trying to solve a recent issue I encountered when trying to play BF, on my newely aqcuired laptop. The problem is that even after customizing windows 11 graph settings for high performance and manually adding BF2042 and EA launcher, easy anti cheat and so on to select dedicated graphics, it only loads witht the integrated GPU and is unplayable. 

I have tested with many games and BF is the only one experiencing this issue, even minecraft runs with the dedicated graphics card without hesitation

even further, the settings for screen seemed to be bugged and does not allow the game to be run in full-screen mode, or to select alternate options. this is highly similar to a case in which i replied just a bit earlier of another person with the same laptop. 

Could you please provide more insight on this issue? or maybe a workaround to get the game to launch with the RTX card 

specs are: 

Ideapad Gaming 3 Laptop -Lenovo

AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics

32GB DDR2 3200MHz Ram

RTX 3050ti 

thank you! 

Message 1 of 7 (1,956 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 - Unable to launch with dedicated graphics.

★★★ Novice

Not sure if you found a solution but I have the same laptop as you and I fixed it by going into the bios and setting the integrated GPU's memory size from 4GB to 1GB and now the game starts with the nVidia GPU. Try it and let me know!

View in thread

Message 5 of 7 (1,660 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@bbonator 

Open NVIDIA control panel, Manage 3D settings, Program settings tab, choose 2042 from the game selection, choose High Performance NVIDIA Processor, scroll all the way down and click Apply at the bottom right. 

Try playing at that point.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 7 (1,917 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello Barry! 

thanks for the feedback. 

I have tried managing both at operative system level and via Nvidia control panel, and had no luck so far. The game still chooses integrated graphics. I have also tried enabling/disabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling, adding all EA related apps as exceptions to run on the dedicated graphics, and so on. This on both windows and nvidia control panel and still no luck 

Only thing I was curious about was the fact that EADesktop could not be switched from integrated graphics to dedicated in Nvidia control panel, the option is grayed out 

I have tried on other games and the way they switch graphics is when using windows to select the card, I will try downloading another EA game and see if it applies to it as well or if only BF encounters this problem and report back 

I appreciate you taking the time to reply! 

Message 3 of 7 (1,896 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok, I went ahead and downloaded a bunch of games from EA, they all correctly pickup the dedicated graphics card when playing. Only 2042 is using integrated graphics. 

This is a problem that I did not encounter before so I am guessing an update had something to do. I am now at a loss on what to do. 

Do you know if there is an argument when launching the game or some sort of way of forcing the app to run on a specific GPU? 

Message 4 of 7 (1,885 Views)

★★★ Novice

Not sure if you found a solution but I have the same laptop as you and I fixed it by going into the bios and setting the integrated GPU's memory size from 4GB to 1GB and now the game starts with the nVidia GPU. Try it and let me know!

Message 5 of 7 (1,661 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you! let me try that option. I have seen similar problems to games selecting integrated graphics over dedicated ones due to the integrated gpu dedicating 4GB vs the dedicated having 3.9GB. It stills sound like something games could have settings for, instead of doing a comparison of VRAM which trumps overall processing power when making choices 

I will report back! 

Message 6 of 7 (1,462 Views)

★★ Novice

hey there! it worked!! I saw the last behaviour in age of empires 4 and discovered on logs that it compares vram as well, that did it for me, thanks!! 

Message 7 of 7 (1,452 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help