Launching Anthem crashes whole computer

★★★★ Novice

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-8700K, No OC
RAM: 16GB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB

PSU: 750W EVGA

Installed on SSD currently

Whenever I launch the demo, my whole computer just shuts off. No blue screen or any errors. Event viewer throws at me Event ID 41, which is a Power-Kernel shutoff. 

I've so far tried:

• Reinstalling graphics driver
  • Reinstalling Anthem
  • Turning resolution down from 1440p to 1080p
  • Repairing the game
  • Moving game from HDD to SSD

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 16 (3,365 Views)

Re: Launching Anthem crashes whole computer

[ Edited ]

Ok, most likely you are going to call me a liar and tell me I don't know what I am talking about.....so link to tom's hardware for backup...http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128570/fix-windows-error-event-kernel-power.html

Programs/games can't shut down you PC like this.  This code is saying the power going into the system went away and the system turned off.  This is going to be due to either a plug into the wall, plug into the computer, or a bad powersupply.....maybe a bad connection inside the computer from the power supply, but probably not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 16 (3,342 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the same issue. my buddy thinks it could be my power supply but it's basically brand new and I haven't had any issues with it before anthem. 

Specs:

Gigabyte RTX 2070

16gb ram

i5-9600k

600w power supply

MPG Z390 Gaming Edge

I've tried pretty much all you have done and a little more:

Changed gpu from maximum performance to optimal power

Deleted files that were crashing(msi toast server)

ran as administrator

turned off full screen optimization 

reinstalled distributables

I've gotten into the game once, thought I fixed the issue and restarted to make sure but it still persisted. Any help would be great!

Message 3 of 16 (3,300 Views)

Hero

@Acryptonic What is the exact brand and model of the power supply? There are a lot of crap power supplies on the market that you should avoid at all costs.

Sudden shutdown of the whole computer can also be caused by overheating. The Frostbite engine has an ironic name, because the framerates can get really high during loading screens in which case the CPU runs at 100% and can cause overheating if it's not properly cooled. In that case I recommend setting a framerate cap using software like RivaTuner.

I don't work for EA.

Message 4 of 16 (3,289 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Chiming in to say I had the same issue yesterday. Computer just shut off after "press enter." I assumed, because other games worked fine, that it couldn't have been my power supply. I was wrong. Last night I replaced the PSU and anthem loaded correctly.

Message 5 of 16 (3,199 Views)

★★★★ Novice

2000 fps+ load screens put a ton of strain on the CPU.. causing high power draw/voltage and heat.  If you run HWmonitor you will see the high power draw and extremely high CPU temps in some cases.

Issues might be .. 

1 . A weak power supply will cut out just enough to reboot your pc and start normally again.. until it experiences those power draws again.  You have probably never seen this before because its very rare you see these issues in games. You normally see this type of load in stress test software like Prime95.  

2. An unstable CPU or CPU OC.   This is a voltage issue / power issue.  The CPU instantly hits 100% on all cores and needs enough voltage to sustain it.. if it doesn't get it.. it will BSOD. 

3. Terrible optimization.  

4. There should be FPS caps for load screens. These are found in many other games. 

Im assuming all these issues are power related.  Thats why fixing drivers and fiddling with software doesn't work.  In reality turning V-sync on should limit the FPS on load screens and in game which would produce less power draw and in turn less heat.  I also understand people have g-sync and freesync monitors and turning v-sync on is not desired.. this is a issue they will have to address.

Message 6 of 16 (3,188 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

The fix is this.

Go into settings and enable vsync!

Have fun guys

Message 7 of 16 (3,048 Views)

★★★★ Novice
OMG THANK YOU!!!!!! I WAS ANGRY AS *... THANKS BRUH
Message 8 of 16 (2,988 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This worked, thanks alot man, me and my buddy had the same issue... had to change the file into documents/bioware/anthemdemo/profileoptions_profile and open it with word pad, looked for vsync with crlt + f and found it, put it to 1 instead of 0 and now the game launched instead of restarting my computer... F'Kn rip EA. Can't believe this crap.

Message 9 of 16 (2,986 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Had the EXACT same issue today. Although I did have this "kernel power" issue about a week ago and I *thought* I fixed it by installing the SM bus controller, as it wasn't installed for some reason.

I opened Anthem, it for some reason forced HDR on my windows (when I didn't set it as HDR), and was artifacting on the load screen and then my PC cut out and restarted itself. Got the Kernel Power 41 task 63 error and then I ran Anthem again and it worked. I've got a Corsair SF 600 power supply for a rtx 2080 ITX build.. i don't know if i need a higher wattage PSU? But this is not happening anymore on any other games etc. GRR EA why do ALL your PC Games SUCK.

Message 10 of 16 (2,925 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help