Re: Launcher hangs on login

by proxos666

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Yep, and it certainly doesn't take five minutes to download it. Took a couple of seconds at most. 

Message 11 of 18 (513 Views)

@dakhathkilrathi

That would leave likely possibilities of something like the AV blocking or windows permissions able to write to that location.

Ensure the launcher is running as administrator and both launcher.exe and swtor.exe are in the exception lists

what antivirus are you using currently ? 

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 12 of 18 (504 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I don't run any antivirus software with a realtime scanning component. That is, nothing that would be running in the background and interfering here. I run the launcher and the game as administrator, and even if I didn't, the game is located in a folder on a drive with nothing but games on it, rather than in Program Files. There shouldn't be any reason that the launcher can't write to that location, and indeed, if that was the problem it would simply never work, rather than working slowly most of the time and without a problem the rest of the time.

I do appreciate that you're trying to help, though. Maybe you can think of something I've missed. I went and checked permissions anyway to be sure and all users/administrators can write to that location, so there's no reason that the launcher should be getting hung there, even if it's starting a service to take care of patching. Which... it doesn't, as far as I know. 

Edit: sorry for the couple times I hit "accept as solution". This isn't too easy to navigate on a touch screen without accidentally hitting that button. 

Message 13 of 18 (487 Views)

@dakhathkilrathi

Not even Windows Defender ? 

Will have have a think on this

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 14 of 18 (459 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Nope. I scan regularly, but I don't like anything running constantly since I find that really isn't much of a protective measure. 

For what it's worth, I suspected intermittent network issues but I tried again to download the file it seems to get stuck on while it was hung. The file downloaded immediately, but the launcher needed another two minutes. 

Message 15 of 18 (451 Views)

[ Edited ]

@dakhathkilrathi

In the game folder is a file called retailclient_swtor.version , delete this file and start the launcher it should refresh the launcher files but leave things on SSN

see if this has any impact on this.

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 16 of 18 (1,046 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I'll give it a try. It might be a few days before I know if it works or not since it's not a constant problem, but I'll let you know. Thanks for sticking with this one. 

Message 17 of 18 (384 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

So far so good. It hasn't done it again in a few days so I think that's worked. Thanks for the help. 

Message 18 of 18 (366 Views)