Re: Launcher doesn't open

by ta6ko420

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Launcher doesn't open

★★ Novice

Hi there, So 3 or 4 years ago I used to play the * out of SWTOR and loved every part of it. Then I kinda stopped and it has stood on my desktop ever since.

Yesterday I had some urge to play it once again after so much time. I press the SWTOR icon to start the launcher, I get the system message (hard drive on the pc and etc.), I see SWTOR in my taskbar, it lingers there for 10 seconds and disappears. I tried it a couple more times, nothing happened. I tried to find some info about this issue and I did, but nothing seemed to help. Deleting the Assets folder, fixlauncher and etc. and then I realised I have neither an Assets folder, nor a fixlauncher.exe in my SWTOR folder. All I have is locales, logs, patch and readmes folders and some files underneath. I downloaded the Launcher Repair Utility tool and now I also have a bitraider folder in there. Unfortunately that tool didn't solve my issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, didn't help either.

I really need to play this game once again or else I'll feel empty and submerge into the depths of crippling depression and anxiety. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'd really appreciate if he shared his wisdom with me. Thanks and have a great day!~

Message 1 of 7 (612 Views)

Accepted Solution

@ta6ko420

Are you choosing not to update windows 10 ? your version is 14393.rs1_release_inmarket.171117-1700 the latest version is 16299.rs3_release.170928-1534

I think it is worth looking at the video drivers 

Can you use this intel utility link to do a driver update for the intel card, once that is done the latest nvidia driver is at this link

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (662 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Maybe delete the patch folder , one shouldn't exist normally with the launcher closed if patching has occurred correctly.

What antivirus and firewall are you using ?

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 2 of 7 (601 Views)

★★ Novice

So I deleted the patch folder but it didn't change a thing.

As for firewall and antivirus, Windows Firewall is turned off, and I am currently not using any antivirus software aside from what, Windows Defender that comes with the OS? Nothing too special here. 

Message 3 of 7 (587 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ta6ko420

Can you provide a dxdiag per this link

Still make sure exceptions exist in windows defender for launcher.exe 

Take the system to a clean boot per this link  and see if the launcher appears , if that fails boot up into safe mode with networking and see if it appears.

patching with streaming wont be possible in safe mode with networking but this is just to see if the launcher actually appears at present.

edit - Also right mouse click on the game shortcut and select properties and tick the box to run as administrator on the compatibility tab

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 4 of 7 (580 Views)

★★ Novice

Did everything you said, nothing seemed to worked. Booted into safe mode and I even got an error message (something about not loading configuration) when I clicked on the shortcut. 

Attaching the dxdiag.

Message 5 of 7 (557 Views)

@ta6ko420

Are you choosing not to update windows 10 ? your version is 14393.rs1_release_inmarket.171117-1700 the latest version is 16299.rs3_release.170928-1534

I think it is worth looking at the video drivers 

Can you use this intel utility link to do a driver update for the intel card, once that is done the latest nvidia driver is at this link

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 6 of 7 (663 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

I updated my Windows 10 and it worked! Thanks so much. I think it's still worth updating those video drivers so I'll do that too, just to be sure. 

Message 7 of 7 (523 Views)