Re: Launcher Disappears on start up

by proxos666

Original Post

Launcher Disappears on start up

★ Novice

Hi all, 

Perhaps this has been answered somewhere else but I cant find any solutions that works, the issue is that when i start the launcher up, it flashs up and says updating then disappears. It is still running behind the scenes sucking CPU power and that is about it. I have tried deleting the patcher.version file but to no avail.

I am running win10 and had no issues before this update.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Message 1 of 3 (1,526 Views)

Hero

I'm not sure what you have tried so I apologize if I have listed something you have tried.

First make sure that launcher.exe and swtor.exe are part of your anti-virus / firewall safe list.

Next try the following, this is for Windows 7 but hopefully similar to Windows 10.

1. Run the launcher and log in.
2. Open the task manager on your computer (shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
3. Select the Processes tab. On Windows 7, sort by image name and look for any starting with "br", they should be listed as belonging to Bitraider in the description column. In Windows 8.1, scroll down to the Background Processes and look for any Bitraider listings. Right click and end them. Don't worry if they come back.
4. Select the Services tab. In Windows 7, click on the button in the lower right corner that says Services. In 8.1, click the link at the bottom that says Open Services.
5. In the Services window, sort the list by the Name column, and look for BitRaider Mini-Support Service. Right click on it and select properties.
6. On the General tab, about halfway down, there should be a dropdown menu that says Startup type. Make sure it is set to "Automatic". Hit Apply the OK.
7. Close the Services window, the task manager, and the game launcher. Then restart the entire computer.
8. When computer has restarted, run the launcher and log in. The download process should now start properly.

If the above doesn't work, since the laucher is disappearing, running a repair by:

closing the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher.

It should re-download it and complete the update.

Worse case scenario switch to the non streaming launcher:

NOTE this is a complete download of the game again

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

* I do not take credit for these steps, these are steps I found from other users

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 2 of 3 (1,518 Views)

@Keg_Stealer

I would try the launcher repair utility initially found here

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 3 of 3 (1,509 Views)