Re: Latest update breaks game through Wine Linux compatibility layer

by DerpyTheEagle

Original Post

Latest update breaks game through Wine Linux compatibility layer

★ Guide

So-- right off the bat, I'll say that I completely understand that playing Origin games through the Wine Linux compatibility layer is a completely unsupported platform. If something goes wrong or breaks, it's on the end user to fix it; that's how it is, I guess. Alright.

That said, prior to today, Apex Legends worked great under Linux from the moment it released, and I and a lot of Linux gamers have been having fun with the game.
Today, some sort of update occurred that has arbitrarily broken the game through Wine. The exact error in question is "EAC sandbox not active (dummy client)", which, from what I've been able to gather, doesn't mean a actual error has occurred in either the game or the anti-cheat software, but rather that EAC has simply been disabled for the Wine platform by the distributor.

That sucks, and it really seems like someone at EA just today decided to prevent Linux users from enjoying the game for no particular reason at all. Actively and arbitrarily disabling this game for Linux users especially looks bad for Origin, given Steam and Blizzard's recent actions to fix these kinds of issues and allow people to play on the platform of their choice. Blizzard doubly so because they took the time to actively resolve and make good on an issue affecting Linux compatibility despite the platform being unsupported by them.

Because of the Linux-friendly actions of other gaming platforms, and the many, many recent usability issues people have been having with Windows, Linux user share for desktop PCs has gone up considerably in the past few months, and changes like this really do seem actively malicious on EA's part when considering that growth.

Even if this issue isn't going to be fixed, is there anyone who can shed light on the specific reasoning behind this change, if not to actively prevent Linux users from playing the game?

Message 1 of 118 (13,006 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I was running this game on manajaro linux, using wine staging 4.0rc5 dxvk 0.96, and it ran like butter, up until 6p on 02/06/2019, when the EAC error started to occur.
It would be nice if EA and Respawn would help fellow linux gamers out, we don't ask much and mostly diyers so we don't expect support for our platform, but doing this one thing allowing wine support in your easy anti-cheat (which is doable, paladins does this currently) would mean a lot to us.

Please take time to consider.

Message 2 of 118 (12,948 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is incredibly disappointing. It worked SO WELL with Wine.

Message 3 of 118 (12,771 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Same here, was running brilliantly through Wine, no problems what so ever... even went through the hassle of comparing the FPS between Linux and Windows, turns out Linux just stole the win with a general increase of 10 fps in all situations.

Shame such a large and influential company would actively block users purely down to the platform they're using.

Message 4 of 118 (12,725 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

Yeah, I noticed the performance drop, as well. On Linux, I had my settings on high for everything with 60fps as my dynamic resolution render target and I only ever noticed the resolution decrease whenever a lot of things were happening on screen. Now that I'm forced to play on Windows, small things like jumping at the start of a match or being in a firefight cause my resolution to dip.

It really is a shame, and I hope something gets done about this.

Message 5 of 118 (12,716 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Is it true that the EAC folks charge extra for wine compatibility?
Message 6 of 118 (12,705 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Of course it would be EA that does something stupid like this.

Message 7 of 118 (12,673 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Quite a few games have had this issue. The only one I'm aware of that did anything about it was Paladins.
Message 8 of 118 (12,662 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes, it ran flawlessly in Wine and with extremely good performance even at maximum settings. Linux users are starved for games like this and it would be a great way to win cultural capital/user love. 

We are self-sustaining and don't need troubleshooting or support, just want to play with others in the arena. Windows or Linux, laptop or desktop, what we share in common is the desire to frag each other.

Message 9 of 118 (12,596 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yep also ran great for me in ubuntu 18.10 no issues until latest patch.

Message 10 of 118 (12,593 Views)