Latency so bad that game is unplayable (pc, windows 8.1)

by MysteryMeatus

Original Post

Latency so bad that game is unplayable (pc, windows 8.1)

★ Novice

Ever since the new season started, my connection to the servers has been godawful. We're talking multiple-second latency freezes with people running in place, Rubberbanding, dying to players that weren't there a moment ago because the latency JUST caught me up to their new positions (and bullets), and incredibly unreliable climbing, looting, and shooting.

It's to the point I'm having a lot less fun with the game, and I couldn't finish the pvp requirement to get the new octane skin no matter how hard I tried to compensate for it.

It's truly abysmal gameplay, especially in normal play.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Message 1 of 12 (504 Views)

Re: Latency so bad that game is unplayable (pc, windows 8.1)

@MysteryMeatus what type of connection do you have to the internet, have you tried to reboot that?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png
Please note:
I am a Community Volunteer.
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 2 of 12 (472 Views)

★ Novice

yes, several times, from the basic restart on up to resetting my IP and unplugging and replugging everything. 

It seems worst on the oregon servers, and I'm operating through a wi-fi connection in my home. It was doing this occasionally even when I was connected to the router through ethernet however, before I moved.

Message 3 of 12 (440 Views)

If it was doing it on ethernet it may be a pc problem. A couple of things to try off the top of my head that i do:

How far is your pc from the wifi router? Ive had to get a wifi booster as my wifi signal is very poor to begin with. Helped a lot.

Can u upgrade to windows 10? Seems to run much more smoothly on my older pc than win 8, and take up less space on the drive.

Have u cleaned up your hard drive? I find that when the drive gets over 50% full it can slow things down. 

Have you cleaned up using Windows disk cleaner, getting rid of shadow copies and older updates, and maby using a cleaning program like ccleaner?

Are there other programs running at startup that are slowing things down? Ccleaner is helpful to remove those. 

After cleanng up ypu could defragment the drive and then partition it keeping all data on the partition.

Have u a spare sd card or usb? Maby use it as readyboost to give windows a little boost.

Uninstall any unused programs.

Have u run a system check with something like Norton to see if there is a nasty slowing things down?

Is your ram/cpu working fully.

How old is the pc? It just might be that bit too old and is slowing down naturally like the rest of usLarge smile

Please note:
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 4 of 12 (427 Views)

★ Novice

Again, I think the problem is more to do with the game's servers. It's better slightly on salt lake, but always bad on oregon.

I also don't know of a way to upgrade to windows 10 without hundreds of dollars being spent.

I'm also well-acquainted with basic computer maintenance and can confirm disk space and fragmentation have nothing to do with it.

I'll try uninstalling old updates though, hadn't thought that would be a thing.

I wanna remind you though, this isn't a framerate problem. It's a latency problem. The game is running perfectly fine when these issues happen, idle animations are cycling without stutter and I can look around, but enemies and drones and whatnot will jump around the map like a slideshow because of packet loss. It's pretty upsetting to try and play with.

Message 5 of 12 (385 Views)

I get that type of gameplay too sometimes, but its the wireless internet here which is poor at best, that is the main problem, thats why i try to keep everything else on this end running as best as i can to make the most of the poor incoming signal.

Please note:
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 6 of 12 (377 Views)

★ Guide

honestly, u might find this reply annoying.. but

wifi and gaming is a bad combination.

im 100% sure a cable will fix ur problems.

Message 7 of 12 (357 Views)

Hey @MysteryMeatus 

That doesn't sound fun, let's start troubleshooting.

Have you already tried the following troubleshooting posts?

EA - Help basic connection troubleshooting / Zeel's troubleshooting guide 

Let me know if one of these solved your issue.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 8 of 12 (346 Views)

• @expl0z1v lol, i have no choice on the wifi, there's no cable here, not only that i have to have an ariel out the window from the router, in front of a sky dish pointed at the local comms pole. Even then when the pole gets too congested like on a saturday night, the WiFi is even worse. A average signal here is 5mbps, sometimes up to 15 during a weekday. The local town 5 km away has up to 70 on a cable.
Please note:
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 9 of 12 (332 Views)

★★★ Novice
Message 10 of 12 (322 Views)