LAN 2 Computers Joining 1 Server Issue

by Daniial

Original Post

Accepted Solution

LAN 2 Computers Joining 1 Server Issue

★★ Novice

Hello,

I have two computers on my network which I would like to be able to play BFV on.

I have forwarded the necessary ports and assigned different ranges to each PC where possible.

I set the -clientport advanced launch option on each PC to match the corresponding forwarded port for that PC.

I have also enabled the UPnP on my router and the UPnP windows service on both computers.

With the above done, we can both play, but only on DIFFERENT servers.

If we try to connect to the same server, one of us gets "Connection to EA Online timed out....".

I think I have narrowed the problem down to two ports:

3659 or 9999.

I think that 3659 is used to connect to EA online, while 9999 seems to be used to connect to the game server. Is that correct?

Since we are not provided with a range for these two ports, how can two computers on the same network connect to the same server?

How can I resolve this problem?

It is very disappointing to have purchased this game and not be able to play it together. I did not have this problem with BF3 and prior. 

I have seen people say using a VPN is a solution, so that each computer has a different IP, but I don't have are VPN and would hope that it is not necessary here.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11 (2,437 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: LAN 2 Computers Joining 1 Server Issue

Hero

I didn't suggest a reboot, I suggested a complete power cycle with time for all components to loose charge. It can make a difference sometimes.

Other solutions I've heard work are (from the top of my head):

• Disabling then re-enabling uPnP
  • Disabling router firewall
  • Setting up IP addresses manually instead of using DHCP
  • Buying static IPs from ISP so each computer had it's own
  • Calling the ISP and have them fix whatever issue they were having (typically if you are behind a NAT)
  • Upgrading firmware on router/modem
  • Buying another router
  • One computer using wired connection while the other using the wifi on the router
  • Removing a switch from the network

carbonic signature

View in thread

Message 5 of 11 (2,398 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

Having the exact same problem, 2 people, 2 PC's on the same network can't join the same server. Tried to allocate different client ports in the games launch options as mentioned somewhere (+clientport 22010 for one PC, +clientport 22011 for the other). So far this only worked twice, every other try the slower PC gets the timed out notice...

Message 2 of 11 (2,420 Views)

Hero

Ideally, if UPnP and your network is set up and works correctly then manual port forwarding should not be needed.

Adding "+clientport 22010" on pc1 and "+clientport 22011" on pc2 in launch options should be all that's needed.

Issues with this usually happen on modems/routers sent by the ISP that's badly set up, and I've seen many different solutions.

My favorite and most basic possible solution is this lovely thing:

Yourrouterisabastardv2-01-01.png

carbonic signature

Message 3 of 11 (2,409 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately, I have tried rebooting the router many times.

I also noticed that, even thought I have UPnP enabled, I cannot play BFV on both computers unless the ports are forwarded Frown

My router wasn't provided by the ISP, it was one I bought separately. I haven't really adjusted the settings of the router much, other then entering account / wifi details.

Did any of the other solutions you mentioned involve the two ports I mentioned?

Message 4 of 11 (2,403 Views)

Hero

I didn't suggest a reboot, I suggested a complete power cycle with time for all components to loose charge. It can make a difference sometimes.

Other solutions I've heard work are (from the top of my head):

• Disabling then re-enabling uPnP
  • Disabling router firewall
  • Setting up IP addresses manually instead of using DHCP
  • Buying static IPs from ISP so each computer had it's own
  • Calling the ISP and have them fix whatever issue they were having (typically if you are behind a NAT)
  • Upgrading firmware on router/modem
  • Buying another router
  • One computer using wired connection while the other using the wifi on the router
  • Removing a switch from the network

carbonic signature

Message 5 of 11 (2,399 Views)

★★ Novice
Thanks again for your answer.

I'll give some of them a go, I have a feeling I'll end up having to buy a new router and cross my fingers Frown.

What does removing a switch from the network mean?
Message 6 of 11 (2,384 Views)

Hero

No problem, hope a simple of them works.

A networking switch is used when you want to connect 2 or more computers to the same point in your network. If there's more than 1 outgoing ethernet port on your router it's because it has a built in switch.

Switches are bit dumber than routers, they don't really process the traffic that much, they just send it along.

Lets say you have a router with only 4 outgoing ports but you need 10 computers connected to it, you would then typically connect a switch between the computers and the router.

Looks something like this

switch

carbonic signature

Message 7 of 11 (2,380 Views)

Hero

Lastly, this German person got his BF4 to work by some port configuration:

http://f7451.nexusboard.de/t3223f150-Battlefield-IP-s-und-Router.html

might be worth a look

carbonic signature

Message 8 of 11 (2,367 Views)

★★ Novice

The problem is finally resolved!

I bought a new router.

The router I bought was:

TD-W9970

I literally just plugged it in, put in my ISP details and it worked. I did not even need to setup port triggering.

Just for the record my old router was a DLINK DSL-2750U.

Carbonic, thanks so much for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Message 9 of 11 (2,329 Views)

★ Novice

Lol the idea that you made an entire infographic telling folks to wait 5 minutes to power cycle is HILARIOUS. 

30 seconds max is all any router component or capacitor would need. Electricity 101, bud. 

Message 10 of 11 (1,394 Views)