Re: Jedi Fallen Order Unplayable Due To Performance/Stuttering [PC]

by Gargamel314

Original Post

★★★ Newbie
@MattRix75 Hey thanks, I was also struggling with the stuttering issue but I wanted to play the game badly so I lowered all settings to low, still the stuttering persisted. You'd think the 1660Ti would handle this game like a breeze. I even set the priority of the game to High from Task Manager. Uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU drivers from GeForce experience, uninstalled and reinstalled the DirectX and redistributable files, repaired the game from Origin but the game stutter issue just wouldn't go. Finally I decided to give this a go without connecting my Xbox One gamepad via Bluetooth and it works with all settings on EPIC on 1440p. Unbelievable when you think about the Xbox one wireless controller could cause a game stutter. I used another xbox wired controller and the game works perfectly well. I'm not sure if the issue lies with connecting the Xbox One controller without the Microsoft provided Wireless adapter or not but the stuttering returns every time I connect the Controller wirelessly. Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Xbox one controller is a useless feat. I think the developers need to do something about it as there are a tonne of people who play games using the Xbox one controller wirelessly without the official adapter.
Message 41 of 78 (7,390 Views)

★★★ Newbie

well, I don't have any controllers connected and it stutters for me as well, so.. and as far as I can tell it's evidently stutters when loading/unloading assets

i5-9600

32 GB ram

fast ssd

game is set to minimum aka medium with dynamic res on (got 1440 monitor) 

If they are incapable of making the game correctly, least they can do is disable asset load/unload during combat

Message 42 of 78 (7,329 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Gargamel314 The place it's stored on doesn't matter, people have tried with an m.2 ssd, sata ssd, and hdd the stutter still happens. I've only tried it myself with a sata ssd and hdd but I find it hard to believe it fixes anything
Message 43 of 78 (7,295 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

so are the devs just on "moving on " attitude from this game after the last "update content" ? i mean people have been expressing their displease for months already about the performance on this game, no matter how strong your system may be the game its a mess in terms of performance.

it would be  really appreciated from the dev team if they actually came around and say something about a possible release of a fix update for performance related only.

we really need a performance stability and improvement from what we currently have...

Message 44 of 78 (7,196 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sighs....I have an rtx 2080 ti and 9700k and I'm still getting ridiculous stutter/pauses in the game with 90+ fps with all EPIC settings...literally on a fresh install of windows too..

I guess I can't play the game then.. what the hell EA.

Message 45 of 78 (6,852 Views)

★★★ Guide

I have one last trick, but I have no idea if it will help or not. *Use at your own risk* It's recommended you create a system restore point first:

As an administrator in cmd, type these commands:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

What's this actually doing?  Dynamic Ticks are a feature that lets windows stop the system timer when nothing is happening in order to conserve power. useplatformclock true turns on High Precision Event Timer (HPET). More Info on HPET here: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/4s4l8w/enable_your_motherboards_hpet_to_improve/

To reverse, go back to cmd as an adminstrator and type:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

When I tried it, there was still a tiny microstutter when running into a new region of the map, but overall my system felt a little more responsive. Good luck Standard smile

Message 46 of 78 (6,824 Views)

★ Novice

Same issue

Nvidia 2060 GPU

I5-3570K

Installed on SSD

Xbox One Wireless Controller for PC

I will try plugging in my Controller and see if that helps.

It is literally the only game I have this issue with.

Message 47 of 78 (6,749 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi all,

I have found a fix for this that works for me, sorry if posted before and I missed but it is not something that I found while looking for a fix. This will not work for everyone however.

I bought the game and moved to the second level and the stuttering issues became very apparent, tried a few of the things other mentioned. I moved the game to my Nv me ssd, this helped slightly but not a lot (marginal at best). I also tried changing priority in task manager and moving from my wireless Xbox controller to my old wired one/keyboard and mouse, neither made any difference. I felt stuck with having to deal with stuttering due to asset loading.

However I have the rtx 2080 super's where the GDDR6 is "downclocked", you can find more on this on the interwebz. I changed the memory clock from 15502 to 17052 MHz (which I have tested with my card before and I know is fine) and the stuttering has completely gone. On these cards it is common that you can get at least an extra 1000MHz, maybe more (or less) depending on the silicon lottery. But you should be able to hit 160000MHz

I have played for hours now without any further issue, but will update if it changes through the course of the game.Every now and then there is a small issue, but it is no different than any other game.

I will add a disclaimer here only the RTX 2080 super has this downclocked memory, and it is not necessarily possible for each rtx 2080 super to be clocked in the same manner, and this overclocking of the memory does not automatically extend to other cards (nvidia or amd). So do not just wack your memory clocks as high as they can go. However if you have room to O.C. the memory it may help you, but be careful not to damage your hardware. In this case I am lucky with this card and the fixing of the issues.

Other specs of relevance:

Ryzen 3700x
32GB ram 3000MHz
Corsair force mp 150
RTX 2080 super

Hope it helps

EDIT: All settings are on max (or "epic" as they call it), the only thing I have turned off is film grain as I am not a fan. I have not altered any of these settings to fix the stuttering.

Message 48 of 78 (6,187 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@crayonmuncher982This improved things for me, I OC'd my 2060's RAM by 1500 MHz and this eliminated a lot of the stutter when moving around on the map. The ONLY place I experience stuttering now is during the cutscene with Saw Guerrera on Kashyyyk, it is quite a substantial intermittent stutter ever few seconds, but gameplay in general is more fluid. Interesting about the "downclocked" V-RAM, I would have never guessed, but for the RTX cards, overclocking your V-RAM provides a substantial performance increase. Hoping others find this helpful.

Message 49 of 78 (5,814 Views)

★★★ Guide

@EA_Cade or any other moderator, I'm wondering why this post has an "Accepted Solution," it is an ongoing problem experienced by many users that has seemingly gone unnoticed for months, and has not gotten any developer attention.

Message 50 of 78 (5,810 Views)