Re: Jedi Fallen Order Unplayable Due To Performance/Stuttering [PC]

by DanteYoda

Original Post

★★ Novice
@Gargamel314 Did that too.... Only reason I say it might be a memory issue is because it only starts after about 10- 15 min of play and progressively happens more often as you play ... That's my only clue..
Message 21 of 78 (12,521 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issues here, game ran perfectly for the first few hours then the performance tanked. I remember leaving a zeffo tomb and freezing every time I entered a new room for a second. It got worse when I left the tomb and went outside. It's such a shame because I think this is crippling an otherwise 10/10 game imo.

Message 22 of 78 (12,187 Views)

★ Novice

Running game on:

Stock Ryzen 5 3600

5700 Xt sapphire pulse

Ddr4 3200 cli16 ram

Installed on WD SN750 NVMe sad

Running on a XR341CK ultrawide monitor at 3440x1440. Maxed everything out and the game was running at 50-60 fps, sometimes jumping to my 75 cap, but it would stutter frequently. I see frames race down to below 30 fps.

I will play a game at a low framerate, 35 - 45 fps and with freesync it generally looks good. But common low framerate dips like this are a no go...

And yeah I did turn shadows down. Bumped my frame rate up to 60-70fps, but the game still stutters. This games art and graphics look amazing. It's a true shame a month post launch it's still a buggy garbage port with subpar performance. Returned it to origin before the 24 hour trial period is up....

Also I couldn't play the game in fullscreens mode. I had to do windowed full screen. When I tried to set fullscreens the video setting menu becomes partially inaccessible to keyboard, mouse and Xbox controller.... The mouse won't even click on most of the menus.

More symptomes of a garbage pc port. Not worth my time to debug it to see if I can trick the game into working right .... Maybe I'll try to buy it a year from now when it goes on a steam sale......

Message 23 of 78 (12,134 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Gargamel314 Thanks for posting this suggestion--I did try setting priority to high...it still happened. then I did it to real time, same thing. There seem to be all kinds of different strategies to address this, but for every solution, 5 people still have the same problem. It JUST started happening to me, I am quite far into the game (wherever the red dudes are at, that's when it started happening), and while there were some instances of stuttering, now it's just going absolutely bonkers.

The Force does not seem to be with us right now!
Message 24 of 78 (11,965 Views)

★★★★ Novice

FWIW, my installation is on an SSD and it still happens to me.

Message 25 of 78 (11,959 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So, after going back to an old NVIDIA driver and seeing my major slow down still happening, I realized that it was not only slowing down...but I kept moving in a specific direction, even though I wasn't pressing anything. This lead me to believe it was something with the source of that signal--my wireless XBox controller. So, I changed the batteries in the controller....and so far, the stutter is not happening. My own dumb fault for not thinking of that first.

I will see if this keeps happening but I think that was the issue, at least in my case. I still get little hiccups, but not the game-ending freezes I was experiencing. I just took the batteries out of the controller and plugged it in via usb and it’s all working much better. 

Maybe this will help? You all probably tried that already—still new to all this PC stuff, to be honest!

good luck out there!

Message 26 of 78 (11,864 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Here's a pretty easy way to monitor your system while you're playing:  I have 2 monitors, and on the 2nd, I installed "8GadgetPack" - It's basically Windows 7 gadgets for Windows 10.  They also require "CoreTemp" to be installed for CPU temp monitoring. There are some really good hardware monitoring gadgets that can give you a really good idea of what's going on. I found that anytime I have a drastic drop in FPS, it's' always because of a spike in disk activity, because GPU utilization drops right along with it. This happens any time I am running around on the map. I'm also finding that no matter i do what JFO is not using more than 60% of my CPU. For me, it doesn't happen enough to complain about, just offering an example.

I also found that lowering frame rates DOESN'T help, that raising them to max (144) works the best, because no matter what, the frame rates still drop when this disk spike occurs. So if I lowered them to 60, they'll drop to like 30. But if I set them at 144, and they max out at 135, they will drop to about 60-70... and that's only on the most demanding planets like Bogano...so the higher frame rate is actually preferable.

Just posting this suggestion to anyone who is having these problems, to help you get to the root of the issue.

Message 27 of 78 (11,811 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Totally unplayable for me since release.. I thought by now fixes would have come but nothing. My stutter is permanent not occasional its all the time through the whole game..

Very poor

Core i5 2500 3.3ghz

16gb ddr3 ram

Gtx 1060 6gb

Samaung SSD EVO 250gb

Win 7 home premium 64bit

Stutter continuously (even in cutscenes which it far worse) and i've tried every fix thats been thrown out here.. Unplayable and stutter gives me headaches and motion sickness.

I don't use controllers at all so its not that either. I don't own two monitors.

Message 28 of 78 (11,534 Views)

★★★ Guide
@DanteYoda for the purposes of monitoring, you could play in Windowed mode just to see what's going on on your system while you play. Hang in there! Sorry you've had problems Frown
Message 29 of 78 (11,997 Views)

★ Novice

I started the game at xmas time and gave up on the first planet after the intro section (which ran perfectly)

Playing on

Ryzen 2700x

Nvidia 2080ti

Samsung 970 pro SSD

16gb 3200 ram

Win 10 all up to date

Playing at 4k epic/high/low settings the game stutters too much when running through map area and will also stutter walking back and forth through set points.

Will not play further as its ruining the experience.

Message 30 of 78 (11,912 Views)