Re: January Update Still a Launches with a Black Window and quits

by jpwalters1

Original Post

January Update Still a Launches with a Black Window and quits

★★★★★ Novice

So I've been trying in earnest to get this game working since November.  It's a genuine disappointment.  The support here on the forum has been a bit of a disappointment as well.  I'll get a general suggestion or two, give it a shot and then pretty much get ignored after I respond.  I'm not sure why exactly, I haven't said anything particularly offensive or inflammatory.  I get that the threads are massively busy, but one would think A#1 priority would be to chase down the issues for everyone's sake.  I've posted my dxdiags, but never was acknowledged, guess they went into the ether somewhere?

Am I seriously the only one that has an issue with this game quitting, now about 2 1/2 months in and multiple updates?

Thanks....

Message 1 of 10 (824 Views)

Community Manager

@jpwalters1 

I found your Dxdiag elsewhere. Can you try:

I assume you are using the Display Port connector for both monitors?

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 10 (796 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yes, in our initial rounds, I believe you suggested the first four things, which I did try at that time.  I'll do them again since there is a new patch involved and let you know the outcome.  More recently EA_David suggested I disable my AV (MalwareBytes), which I did do, but it made no difference.  Plus my reset install of Windows that I tried initially wiped that out.  But for the sake of testing, I'll go one step further and uninstall it.  

Not sure what extra peripherals we may be thinking here, but other than mouse, keyboard, XBox 360 Wireless USB adapter, and the monitors there's nothing here.  Maybe a YubiKey, which I'll yank.  

Regarding the Display Port, yes.  Both monitors are Displayport and each going directly into the card and not daisy chained.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 10 (767 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
  • Disconnecting one of your DELL U3417W monitors.  - Done.  Running on One Dell U3417W
  • Reset the default settings on the still connected monitor and your 2080Ti -- Done.  In Nvidia Control panel Applied Default Settings, Disabled Surround.
  • Disconnect all unused peripherals.  Disconnected every device USB except mouse and keyboard.  Only Motherboard, mouse, keyboard, 2080 TI, Dell U3417W.  
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus/malware software.  Done.  Uninstalled Malwarebytes completely and rebooted.
  • RAN CC-CLEANER againStill black screen comes up for about 10 seconds and closes.  Cannot ALT-ENTER or otherwise coerce fullscreen.

My boot drive and game drive is a pair of Samsung EVO 970's 1TB running as Raid 0 Array under AMD RaidXpert2.

Message 4 of 10 (762 Views)

Community Manager

@jpwalters1 

Please go to the following location:

C:\users\yourusername\Need for Speed Heat\settings

...and delete these files: PROFILEOPTIONS and PROFILEOPTIONS_profile

This will reset some graphics related settings and hopefully will help us make progress.

Do post your results, thanks.

barry.png
Message 5 of 10 (735 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

So there is Need for Speed Heat in C:\Users\{me}\Documents\Need for Speed Heat...

However there is no settings sub-folder.  I don't think we are even getting that far or it was previously deleted.

I have the following subfolders:  CrashDumps, downloadedData, SaveGame, Screenshots.  The last three are obviously empty since we never got the game to work, ever.

The CrashDumps folder, which contains 200MB+ of crash (113) files dating back to 11/14/19, seems like it would contain a treasure trove of diagnostic info for you and your team.  Of course your attachment won't support a zip file, or mdmp.

Also wanted to add, that I ran msconfig, disabled all non-Microsoft services, rebooted and tried the game and it again crashed with the usual black screen for a few seconds.  This is consistent with my Windows 10 Reset PC installation.  From barebones it pretty much crashes.

Thanks...

Message 6 of 10 (690 Views)

Community Manager

@jpwalters1 

Can you try one thing, not sure if it will help but is easy to try ->

Right click on the Origin icon on your desktop and "Run as an Administrator" then go ahead and start the game.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 7 of 10 (662 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Barry Thank you for that hopeful thought. Unfortunately, I just gave that another shot, still does the same thing.
Message 8 of 10 (653 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Barry Also wanted to add, that Battlefield V, Need for Speed Payback, Need for Speed Deluxe Edition, Most Wanted, and all the other Games in my library work perfectly fine. I think that's at least important to note.
Message 9 of 10 (649 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Can you please give me your next guidance on this.  

Message 10 of 10 (596 Views)