Re: Issues with the EOR matchmaking system - examples

by DarthFDG

Original Post

Issues with the EOR matchmaking system - examples

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hello everyone!

We noticed that some players are experiencing many issues with the new EOR matchmaking system. You might have seen me already asking around for more feedback or some details (huge thanks to everyone who already provided me with some information), but to make everyone's lives easier, we decided to create this thread, where you can send us all the vital information, which will help our developers improve the system.

If the current EOR matchmaking system makes your experience with SWB2 less enjoyable or problematic, please provide us with the below information:

• Your username.
  • On which platform do you play?
  • In what region are you located?
  • What time did it happen? (Add what Gmt +/- you are in)
  • What ping site do you use?
  • In which game mode the problem occurred?
  • What exactly is the problem? - Joining an empty lobby, long wait for a match, broken map rotation, difficult matchmaking in a group, etc.
  • When exactly the problem occurred? - Please, be as accurate as possible! We're looking for a day + hour, so we'll be able to perform a thorough investigation. Even one example should be enough.
  • (Optional) Any additional feedback?

Other topics about the EOR matchmaking issues might get archived, but will still remain on the forum. Please, try to keep the meaningful discussion in this thread Standard smile

Thanks!

/Ataashi

Message 1 of 166 (9,733 Views)

★★★ Novice
  • Your username. Damounwired
  • On which platform do you play? PC 
  • In what region are you located? AUS
  • What ping site do you use? AUS, JPN, US Oregan
  • In which game mode the problem occurred? Upon joining matchmaking it times out, with error 1066
  • What exactly is the problem? - Any format of the game i try to join in multiplayer i get error 1066
  • When exactly the problem occurred? Everytime i try to join, i have tried different ping sites, times of day, its 100% of the time
  • (Optional) Any additional feedback? I have followed the technical support guide and done the following. Flush DNS, Opened ports, totally removed firewall, tethered my work internet to try a different ISP. Tried with DMZ, tried without. Batllefield 1 and 4 work perfectly fine. I have attached a dxdiag and info showing ports open. Some feedback, Would it be so hard to put a server browser in, so we can at least see there is a community base playing and that the game isnt broken?
Message 2 of 166 (9,644 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Username.  ggib65  Gamertag.  PoppyGibb70

On which platform do you play?  Xbox

In what region are you located? Australia

What ping site do you use? Australia, US Oregon

In which game mode the problem occurred? Galactic Assault & HvsV

What exactly is the problem? After playing a round in a full lobby, Matchmaking puts me into empty/near empty lobbies that never fill. Also Map rotation is poor, sometimes playing the same map as prior again 

When exactly the problem occurred? Afternoon: 2.30pm - 4.30pm AEST Night: 8:30pm - 11:30pm AEST (My normal playing times every day)

Any additional feedback? See my posts in Technical Issues & Game information. A particular time is not relevant as the problem can occur at any time and may continue after any game or it may not happen for several games. Having to quit lobbies and search for a new game does not fix the problem.  It is random. Cannot comment on any other game mode as I cannot get past empty lobbies since the ping site issue. 

"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

Champion (Retired)

Alliecat7803, PS4, Canada, pinging Oregon or Virginia, starfighter assault. I'm not sure of the exact time, but it was around 10:45 pm PST on Wednesday night.  Our multiplayer group was dumped out of a well-populated game into a match that was unbalanced at 10 vs 2 players.  Our team populated to 12 at one point, the other team populated to 3, then down to one poor guy stuck playing against a full slate on the other team.  After that game, some of the group left to play HvV. 3 of us stayed in Starfighter Assault.  We started searching for a game somewhere around 11:05 or so, and finally got into a game that started populating with players around 11:18.  That was, I think, our 3rd attempt.  First attempt was five players waiting for more players, second attempt was just the 3 of us.  

Message 4 of 166 (9,612 Views)

★ Guide

I get kicked and thrown into a lobby by myself at the end of ewok hunt and only ewok hunt. Although I'm playing right now and it didn't happen this time

Message 5 of 166 (9,589 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice
  • Your username: GOD_IV
  • In what region are you located? UK / Europe
  • What ping site do you use? Default
  • In which game mode the problem occurred? GA, SFA, HVV
  • What exactly is the problem? See below.
  • When exactly the problem occurred? - Most of yesterday between 10am and 5pm, then again 10pm until 2am

These are 2 biggest issues I have seen since MM was introduced, as well as my proposed solution for you to consider.

1 – you search for a game, takes a little longer but if it is matching me based on stats I am fine with that. I get into a GA match and all is good and the server is full. Then the EOR kicks in and I dropped into an near-empty server and have to wait for it to fill up before it can start, that is assuming that my fellow players have the patience to wait for that to happen. This results in me spending a lot of time looking at menus and generally wasting time waiting for things to start. This is very frustrating if I have just left a perfectly full server

Solution: use a team scramble feature at the EOR. This will happen quickly and keep the full server full, and will mean I don't sit looking at menus for feels like hours

2 – The EOR does not consider what map or what side you were playing, so you are likely to end up playing as the rebels, for example, 3 times in a row on the same 1 or 2 maps

Solution: assuming you apply a team scramble, have a fixed map rotation with all maps that does not favour 1 or 2 (like you did with Kashyyyk recently). Alternatively, add a "vote next map" feature with 2 or 3 choices. That would be awesome, but maybe do one step at a time and fix the MM by making it team scramble first

Message 6 of 166 (9,579 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi @EA_Ataashi experienced an issue today 26th October at approximately 14:30. Playing GA was in full lobby, game ended was placed in lobby requiring players, lobby was not filling so players left. Platform is PS4, ping site is default which I'm assuming is Ireland. Username tinodagate

Edit: same again, this time @ 15:52. Lobby started filling then failed to fill for a good few minutes so players started leaving as well as myself.

Edit: Again @ 16:42.

Edit: it's happened again @ 19:21 this time into a lobby that's telling me the connection is slow with the little warning in the top right. 

Message 7 of 166 (9,569 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Hello @EA_Ataashi
Last night was a little better when EOR MM kicked in. Full lobbies to half empty ones still occurred but tended to fill more quickly. However the matches were uneven and not many going past the first couple of objectives. It seemed that better players were on one side in a match and then the other next match meaning as @GOD_IV mentioned in his post that some may have been playing light side multiple times. Map rotation wasn't all that good either. Played several maps a couple of times.
There was something I hadn't noticed before. In the lobby, players are usually numbered 1-20 but when MM is in operation, symbols are showing up against each player name (wish I had taken a screenshot). Several being the Triangle as shown above players when the match starts. Assuming that the triangle is a squad marker, there seemed to be more of these on one side than the other. There were other symbols as well. Can you detail what symbols may show up and their meaning?

OOPS!! How dumb am I? Just realised he symbols have always been there - Playing tonight jogged my memory. Felt foolish as soon as I went to select my trooper. Wallah!!! there's the symbols.

"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

★★★★ Apprentice

• Your username. - MCA26
  • On which platform do you play? PS4
  • In what region are you located? Australia
  • What ping site do you use? Sydney, but I always leave on Default
  • In which game mode the problem occurred? All except GA. 
  • What exactly is the problem? - In all modes except for GA I get put into an empty lobby. 
  • When exactly the problem occurred? - Started after the June update. Was able to play Strike, Ewok and Extraction for a while. Then an update came out, I think August, and I those were broken and only GA has been playable since. 
  • (Optional) Any additional feedback? The June, July and August updates seemed to impact this problem the most. Have tried everything suggested to no avail. Changing servers has no impact on fixing the problem, so does not seem to be server/ping related. 

Message 9 of 166 (9,519 Views)
Highlighted

Hero
  • Your username. DarthFDG
  • In what region are you located? US
  • What ping site do you use? Southeastern US
  • In which game mode the problem occurred?  HvV and Blast
  • What exactly is the problem? matchmaking is still not matching skills of players
  • When exactly the problem occurred? 5PM Eastern

While it appears Development has gotten the wait times back to where they were (i.e. no improvement from 2 months ago), matchmaking is simply not reaping the benefits expected by the players - actually still a step back from the players' perspective. 

How long will the experiment go on before pulling the plug?  Really, what's the time frame? 

As mentioned in the sticky matchmaking post, players would be a lot cooler with not forcing matchmaking at end of round.  Seems like a pretty easy fix, if you want to keep tweaking matchmaking logic.

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 10 of 166 (9,514 Views)