Is it possible to download Origin on an external storage device?

by Lilliebell2012

Original Post

Is it possible to download Origin on an external storage device?

★★★ Newbie

I've been using an external storage device for months.  Origin doesn't like it.  Twice I've told it "Buddy, the games are downloaded over here, not on the computer."  The first time it worked, now it won't.  Frustrated I deleted Origin and my games.  I planned on just redownloading them, but something tells me Origin's going to fail me again next time I decide to play.  I play the Sims games, and I don't want to have to wait 10 hours for my games and expansion packs to download every time I want to play.  So, is it possible to just download Origin on my external storage device?  I don't need to know how to store games elsewhere, did that and Origin decided "Nah, I'm going to ignore those downloaded games.  They clearly aren't there, redownload them."  I want Origin itself on my external storage device, not my computer.  Is this possible? And if it's not, is there any way to keep Origin from throwing a hissy fit about the games being elsewhere, or am I just going to have to give up on Origin all together?  'Cause I'm starting to wonder if it's better to just rebuy the Sims 3 & my expansion packs on Steam (which actually understands that my games are on the external storage device, unlike Origin).

Message 1 of 2 (259 Views)

Re: Is it possible to download Origin on an external storage device?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

yes it is.
my game drev has Origin installed there. not ( OS c: ) ( same as steam and other clients )

( only diffrence is internal extra harddisk and external disk, and it cant be that issue at all system see it as disk/transfer throughput if USB then transferate could be a issue )

also check inClient settings path for DL cache and install path.

ps.
its rare that a game patch has incode default path as mistake, but it could happend on older games. ( not seen in a long time )

Message 2 of 2 (236 Views)