Intermittent FPS problems

by onemoreround10

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Intermittent FPS problems

★ Novice

Hi

For the last few weeks I've been experiencing intermittent problems with the game dropping fps every now & then.  This seems to be worse on planets like Rishi & Zoist (rather than instanced ops but occasionally bad in there too) where my character might freeze for a few seconds & I may lose the sound as well.  I've never had any problems before & haven't changed anything recently other than the usual Microsoft updates.  PC is fairly decent a i5-4690K processor, 8GB & a GeForce GTX 970 graphics card.  Server lag seems to be stable at around 40-50ms so doesn't seem to be an issue there.  Sometimes when this occurs it seems to take much longer to load a planet & logging out of the game is impossible without shutting down the process.  I'm currently on Rishi just wandering around checking the fps & it's generally a steady 60 but every now & then it drops to 5-10 & game freezes.  Anyway, any ideas what may be causing this? 

Message 1 of 6 (904 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Intermittent FPS problems

[ Edited ]

@onemoreround10

Diag is displaying some issues

BCCODE 141 is one of them , when this occurs it is likely what you are seeing ingame

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys, type 0

Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

If this started over the last few weeks try an older Nvidia Driver, the one installed is dated 2 weeks ago.

Best to use DDU remove all trace and then clean install of the NVidia driver

You are the 2nd person today with a 970 having issues but they are slightly different in error codes

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (931 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

There was a change to how the game's graphics work. You can read about it more here: http://www.starwarstheoldrepublic.com/patchnotes/9222015/game-update-3.3.2-patch-notes

I would play around with your settings a bit. Turn down shadows, visible characters on screen, etc. Try and see where you might have a bottleneck. 

Message 2 of 6 (897 Views)

@onemoreround10

Check temps of CPU and GPU just to be sure its not thermal throttling

Can you post a dxdiag if it is continuing

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 3 of 6 (890 Views)

★ Novice

I'll have a play around with the graphics later when I have more time although I have already lowered the main setting from 'Very High' to High.  I have run the dxdiag program results should be in the following link:

http://hastebin.com/tomeyohumi.tex

As for temperatures Processor Core is in mid 40's & Graphics maxed at 58 whilst running the game.

Message 4 of 6 (876 Views)

[ Edited ]

@onemoreround10

Diag is displaying some issues

BCCODE 141 is one of them , when this occurs it is likely what you are seeing ingame

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys, type 0

Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

If this started over the last few weeks try an older Nvidia Driver, the one installed is dated 2 weeks ago.

Best to use DDU remove all trace and then clean install of the NVidia driver

You are the 2nd person today with a 970 having issues but they are slightly different in error codes

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 5 of 6 (932 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the advice Proxos much appreciated, I think that seems to have fixed it although with it being intermittent probably be a few days before I can be sure.

Message 6 of 6 (845 Views)