Re: insane gpu usage even at low settings with high end computer

by twitchtv_TBCkoma

Original Post

Re: Insane GPU usage even at low settings with high end computer

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

So i played around with the settings and found the "solution". I am also running a 1080TI and it sits at upwards of 95% usage while just in the menu.

The problem can be solved by not playing in Full Screen, set your display to Borderless Full Screen and the usage will go back to normal in menus.

However if you change to FS-Borderless, and still use the default Triple/Double Buffered Vsync you will be capped at 60 FPS.

V-sync Off will cap you at 144 FPS, Adaptive still works fine if you guys have high RF monitors.

Hope this helps.

Edit : This only helps with the GPU usage when you are idling in the menus waiting for matches, etc. In games my load is still 95% and up no matter what i do.

Message 21 of 44 (9,445 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have found that having my V-Sync disabled was the culprit, and as soon as I switched to an adaptive or adaptive 1/2 rate V-Sync I was experiencing much lower GPU usage both in lobby and in game.

Message 22 of 44 (9,412 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

i7 8700k

1080 TI

1440p G-SYNC Monitor (G-SYNC on in NVIDIA control panel)

Issue seems to be at 144 fps

144hz setting streaming budget to 2-3gb seems to do the trick where no FPS drop in OBS.  This set to none will cause FPS drop in OBS. Very weird.

Turning down your refresh rate within NVIDIA control panel seems to do the job for now. No 3rd party tool needed

V sync disabled, adaptive resolution FPS target:0

At 60 Hz can play at max settings and games only uses 50-70% gpu usage

At 85 Hz with Anti-aliasing:TSAA, streaming budget: insane, filtering 16x 60-80%  everything else low or off

This will do the trick to be able to stream with no FPS drop.

Message 23 of 44 (9,378 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Same exact thing is happening to me an one of my friends. can only play like 1 match an then itll crash. kinda of afraid it could be hurting my gpu. Ive turned every setting off an it doesnt matter just sits at 100% an it sucks cause i really wanna play lmao 

Gtx 1080

i7

windows 10 

Message 24 of 44 (9,239 Views)

★★ Guide

i feel like EA should pay me for testing their games at this point BF,BF2 and now Apex

Message 25 of 44 (9,171 Views)

★ Apprentice

I had the same problem, I set my screen to 120hz instead of 144 (it give me 120fps max). Gpu load was less massive but still it was not quite ok. But with the today patch I think it's ok because I have no longer 90-99% gpu load but 33-75% load (60% most of the time). So sometimes my 2080ti set to Idle while gaming x)

Message 26 of 44 (9,023 Views)

★★ Guide

anyone tested the new drivers ?

Message 27 of 44 (8,973 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have downloaded newset Nvidia drivers. Having problem still. Going to try some of the suggestions you all have mentioned.

16 GB Ram

Titan Xp collectors edition 

Message 28 of 44 (8,926 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Atic this is not working for me at all this is getting really annoying
Message 29 of 44 (8,264 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same here i am using 2060 super 89%use

Message 30 of 44 (7,444 Views)