Re: Input lag?

by EA_Aljo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Input lag?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Add me to the list of people complaining about input lag. I have been playing this game since NHL 09. I just transitioned from NHL 20 to 21 and I keep experiencing a weird problem in all the online modes I have tried (HUT, EASHL Drop In, Ones Eliminator) where I will be skating fine and I lose control of my guy. He will just keep skating in the direction I was going but I can't change it. It feels like network lag when it happens but when I look at the Network Performance screen I have basically a straight line going across in the 30-50ms range. I'm not getting lag spikes at all but I still lose control of my guy briefly. Lasts maybe 5 seconds or so, but enough to throw me out of position on a play. In a typical EASHL 3s match this will happen 3-4 times per game.

I have never experienced this in online play before NHL 21. I am avoiding online play for now. Be A Pro is pretty fun this year. Good job.

Message 1 of 79 (1,343 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@lx3dEMONxl 

One of your videos showed 3% packet loss. That would be why this is happening. Can you run that UO Trace for me?

Aljo.png

View in thread

Message 13 of 79 (1,654 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi there, @lx3dEMONxl.

What system are you playing on? Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 79 (1,311 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Xbox One

I don't know if it matters but my Xbox One is a year one original. I don't remember exactly when I got it but it was pretty close to the launch.

Message 3 of 79 (1,293 Views)

Community Manager

@lx3dEMONxl 

Do you play on a wired or wireless connection? It sounds like you might not be lagging, but just losing control of your player. Do you feel any lag? Do they go into a glide and then control returns after a bit? If you have some video, that would help as well.

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 79 (1,288 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I play on wired, Comcast 150mbps connection. I am a network engineer so I can spot network problems pretty easily. It's not network lag. Network lag would be characterized as losing control of your character and then the the game will look as if it is catching up. I have experienced network lag in this series before during brief lag spikes or outages. In those cases I can clearly identify the problem by going to the network performance graph in the game and see the red > yellow spikes.

In this case I will lose control briefly but the network graphs are all stable. This is more synonymous with input lag. Input lag is where you press a direction or button on your controller and it takes a bit before the game responds. Yes, the player will glide and returns after a bit. As I stated, maybe 5 seconds. I can try capturing an event on my Xbox and link it.

Message 5 of 79 (1,281 Views)

Community Manager

@lx3dEMONxl 

Can you run a UO Trace and screenshot me the results? Instructions are here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic.

Aljo.png
Message 6 of 79 (1,277 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've played 4 games this evening and I have not been able to reproduce the problem. I'll post requested details if I come across it again.

Message 7 of 79 (1,258 Views)

Community Manager

@lx3dEMONxl 

Sounds good. Glad to hear the lag cleared up. Just let us know if it returns or if you have any other issues. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 8 of 79 (1,244 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Okay first game of the night. I lose control of my player around the 2 second mark of the clip (I'm the center, red). You will see me skating backwards toward the boards but I was trying to position myself defensively in front of the eventual goal scorer. The whole time I am trying to push in other directions. This led to a goal by the other team because I couldn't move for about 3 or 4 secs.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/lx3demonxl/video/113953469

Message 9 of 79 (1,230 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Here is the network performance graph for that same game: https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/lx3demonxl/video/113954212 

Message 10 of 79 (1,229 Views)