Input delay

by pauldoubleyouare

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Input delay

★★★ Newbie

Hey EA - are there any recommendations for input delay?

It was notorious last year, rendering the game almost unplayable (at least in terms of enjoyment) - but every online game mode I've played so far is super frustrating. There's like a 2 second delay on each move, it feels like you've got a 100 pound backpack on your player.

Any advice or suggestions? 

Message 1 of 6 (606 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Input delay

Hero

@pauldoubleyouare wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm hard wired in and all network tests are passing fine :/ 

Other games work just fine, sounds like it's an EA server thing.

NHL has three servers for EASHL gameplay (NA East/West & Europe). Versus and HUT are played on P2P connections. 

Which modes are causing the delay?

•—————————————————•

If a message helped you, please give it XP! Click the XP button at the bottom of the post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Not an EA employee

Banner AHQ Hero Mass Effect.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (554 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@pauldoubleyouare

Which console are you using? And are you on WiFi?

You can try upgrading your HDMI/Ethernet cables, making sure your TV is using game mode and ensure your system connection tests are returning good speeds and that your NAT isn’t strict.

•—————————————————•

If a message helped you, please give it XP! Click the XP button at the bottom of the post.

Not an EA employee

Message 2 of 6 (582 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm hard wired in and all network tests are passing fine :/ 

Message 3 of 6 (569 Views)

Hero

@pauldoubleyouare wrote:

NHL has three servers for EASHL gameplay (NA East/West & Europe). Versus and HUT are played on P2P connections. 

Which modes are causing the delay?

•—————————————————•

Not an EA employee

Message 4 of 6 (555 Views)

Community Manager

@pauldoubleyouare

Double check your TV mode, as suggested above by @Socair having/not having "Game Mode" active on your TV can significantly impact perceived input lag.

barry.png
Message 5 of 6 (549 Views)

★★ Novice

NHL has three servers for EASHL gameplay (NA East/West & Europe). Versus and HUT are played on P2P connections. There is no problem with your provider or tv,monitor.Everybody knows how to switch to game mode.If you have problem with input lag then I not recommended buy this game.This input lag or delay in game is since nhl 17.On internet is a ton of this issue..just google..same is problem with fifa. This game using p2p architecture and this destroy game.I tested demo myself with direct connection from modem to console.Got slow respond, cant hit ,poke check,got 1-2 second delay.Offline working great tested on nhl 17,18.Tested with high end monitor 1 ms response.Contacted support maybe 10 times , sended uo trace route.They said there is no issue with my connection.They knows this problem but not fixed.

explanation:

Multiplayer design is sometimes to blame

Depending on the type of game you're playing, ideal conditions sometimes aren't replicable due to the nature of a game's online infrastructure. Although most of today's titles launch with stable multiplayer functionality, approaches to networking have infamously harmed certain games from the outset. Two common approaches to online networking are often seen nowadays: peer-to-peer (P2P) networking or dedicated servers.

Dedicated servers are becoming increasingly popular, with a central server hosted solely to accommodate multiplayer matches. Often hosted in a central location with low latency unrivaled by other solutions, this setup can reduce any form of noticeable lag within the capabilities of the host. Provided dedicated servers are hosted across the globe, lag is less common with this type of technology.

P2P networking relies solely on player networks to host multiplayer matches, using one of the player's consoles as a central server. Although this is a considerably cheaper option to develop, using a home connection to host multiplayer matches can result in undesirable latency and interruptions not seen with dedicated servers.

While dozens of hosting factors can cause multiplayer issues, users can expect better performance with dedicated servers. If you're experiencing issues with some multiplayer games, the cause may simply be linked the game's design. Make sure to search online to see if other users are experiencing issues and whether certain titles can be improved on a per-case basis.

I hope this help.A lot guys already stop buying ea games because it is frustrated,not funny and waste money.

Message 6 of 6 (512 Views)