I no longer have access to the EA account that my NHL 20 is signed into

by littleschlegel

Original Post

Re: I no longer have access to the EA account that my NHL 20 is signed into

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

To address your new analogy, if the person selling the car was able to provide the title, they would legally be allowed to sell it to me and would not have to provide proof that they still had access to an old email address they used during the process of acquiring the title to the car.

Why would his specific gamertag automatically have this email address linked to it if he never owned the account? I understand your point that a user could lose all his EA progress if you were to remove the account and you have to be cautious of that but there still has to be a solution here at some point. If each gamertag only is allowed to be linked to one EA account then maybe the user can show proof that they own the gamertag itself, perhaps via showing proof they own their Microsoft Account. 

Again, I understand where EA is coming from trying to protect users from losing their data, but at the same time they need to create a simpler process here that allows legitimate EA users to recover their accounts and continue playing. Otherwise EA will just continue to decline at an even faster rate than it already has been.

Rather than trying to come up with a witty way to address my analogy, why don’t you do your job and help your customer.

Message 11 of 46 (1,338 Views)

Community Manager

@Nagerade 

If they never actually played any of our games before and this is happening with the very first EA game they've played online, it's possible someone used their email to link their gamertag. That would mean they would have needed access to their email to make that happen. If they have played our games before, they would have linked their gamertag when this requirement comes up in game before you actually play.

I can't help you with this because it's not something we can do over Answers HQ. The only way to get the account back is go through the account recovery process. This is our way of keeping accounts with the legitimate owners. If the process was as simple as you'd like it to be, account theft would be very easy to accomplish.

At this point, there's really nothing I can do to help as it goes beyond the scope of what we can assist with on Answers HQ. That account recovery form needs to be filled out with accurate information in order to turn the account over to you.

Aljo.png
Message 12 of 46 (1,328 Views)

★ Novice

He is the legitimate owner of the account and he tried going through the account recovery process. How do you recover an email that you don’t have access to. He first created the original email for his EA account years ago when he was a child. He doesn’t use that email address anymore and doesn’t have it linked to any of the email addresses he does use as an adult. 
so your saying there is just nothing he can do at this point?

Message 13 of 46 (1,322 Views)

★ Novice

This is not his first time playing an EA game but it is the first time an EA game has required he log in.

Message 14 of 46 (1,321 Views)

Community Manager

@Nagerade 

He could contact the provider of the email account to see if they can get them access to it. If they can, they don't need to go through account recovery. Otherwise, they'll need to answer the questions in the webform with accurate information so the account can be recovered.

Aljo.png
Message 15 of 46 (1,317 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I was playing NHL 20 on xbox last night and during a game I was kicked out.  Now I cant get into any online type games.   The error message says "this Ea account is invalid".  How can this be?  Ive been playing nhl for 11 years.  

Message 16 of 46 (1,250 Views)

Community Manager

Hello, @matthewbiz631.

The invalid account issue normally means you need to change your password. That can be done at www.origin.com. However, you can also get this message if you try logging in too many times. You'll be locked out for about 90 minutes. Another reason this can happen is if you use the wrong email address when signing in. If none of these are the issue, contact @EAHelp through Twitter or open a case with a live support advisor here: https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/. They can look further into this. Thank you!

Aljo.png
Message 17 of 46 (1,226 Views)

★ Novice

Did you solve this ?

My relative is also having the same issue, PSN is linked to an old EA account that he has no access to and now he cant play any EA games on his playstation. 

Message 18 of 46 (1,125 Views)

Community Manager

Hello, @Adooo90.

If they no longer have access to the email on their account, they'll need to go through the account recovery process. That starts by filling out the forum here. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 19 of 46 (1,085 Views)

★ Novice

I need help accessing my ea account. Whenever I try playing nhl 20 on ps4 all of a sudden it won’t let me access any features and says this account is in eligible and it has been like this for weeks. Please help

Message 20 of 46 (1,022 Views)