I no longer have access to the EA account that my NHL 20 is signed into

by littleschlegel

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I no longer have access to the EA account that my NHL 20 is signed into

★★★ Newbie

I no longer have access that my EA account is signed into. I got a new Xbox and when I try to play online it automatically takes me to my old email and has me type in a password that I don’t have access to anymore/ don’t remember. Is there anyway that I can add a new EA account that I already have created or change my email address for the account on NHL already. 

Message 1 of 46 (10,165 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: I no longer have access to the EA account that my NHL 20 is signed into

Community Manager

Hi there, @littleschlegel.

If you no longer have access to the email on the account, you'll need to go through the account recovery process. See this article for more information: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/im-locked-out-of-my-ea-account. Thanks!

Aljo.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 46 (10,129 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

Well I have access because it is the account that I am currently on but that is only because I was able to sign in through Microsoft. I have tried to access the account setting from it but am unable to. 

Message 2 of 46 (10,145 Views)

Community Manager

Hi there, @littleschlegel.

If you no longer have access to the email on the account, you'll need to go through the account recovery process. See this article for more information: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/im-locked-out-of-my-ea-account. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 3 of 46 (10,130 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This process is so flawed it is borderline unacceptable. What is the point of going through this process just to have a generic email sent back saying can not be verified. I have filled out the form twice and get back the same garbage email. Something so simple, yet EA can't do anything about it. I am so frustrated with the whole process I am on the verge of never buying a game from EA again. This is really bad customer service.

Message 4 of 46 (9,779 Views)

Community Manager

@ProfessorSebyD 

I definitely get the frustration. However, we take account security very seriously. We can't just turn over accounts to anyone that asks for them. You need to verify the account is yours. The best I can suggest is to try submitting the form again and using more accurate information in those fields.

Aljo.png
Message 5 of 46 (9,771 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Actually, I don't feel EA gets our frustrations as customers.

1. I filled out the form twice with very specific information. I can't think of anything else to add because EA isn't asking for anything else that would be specific for example a security question.

2. If someone was available to talk to for less than 5 minutes, they could ask me questions so that I could answer them and resolve this quickly.

3. Failing all of this, why can't users log into the game and choose to link the PSN to their EA Account of their choice. Why is there no option to log into another account.  Why force the customer to connect to an account nearly 15 years old without a choice.

4. I don't need to use an old outdated account, however, EA holding my online play hostage because they don't have resources to do things properly is unacceptable. The game should say, log in to your EA Account. If you no longer have access or would like to use another account, click here. Why is this so difficult for EA to understand?

Please advise.

Message 6 of 46 (9,696 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

EA just doesn't get it... Sad to see what they've become

Message 7 of 46 (9,625 Views)

Community Manager

@ProfessorSebyD 

Even if you could talk to someone on the phone, you'd still have to answer the same questions. If you're giving them the same answers, they wouldn't be able to recover the account.

We don't use security questions anymore because it was highly insecure. The industry as a whole is moving away from this as it was still very easy to gain access to accounts that you didn't own. I imagine you wouldn't want someone contacting us knowing your email address and the answer to a security question that they can easily figure out and then take control of your account. So, the change was made to move away from security questions.

You can certainly log into a different account. You'll need a different PSN ID for that. If you create a new PSN ID, that can be linked to a new EA account. You just can't move an existing PSN ID off an EA account without verifying ownership. Yes, this means you are starting over on a different PSN ID and that's not ideal. I wouldn't want to start over myself so I definitely know how disappointing that would be.

We have the resources to recover the account. The issue is, you're not providing accurate information so it doesn't look like you own the account. We have very strict security policies because account theft is attempted very frequently. We do our best to keep accounts with their actual owners. The questions in that form should be able to be answered by the account owner. Unless you absolutely can't remember the information you used or you may have used bogus information to begin with. That's not really our fault. We have to go on what you provided. If you don't recall it, it doesn't look like you own the account.

We're not trying to hold you hostage. We want you to be able to play. That's the whole point of being a game company. To make games that people enjoy playing. However, in today's day and age, requiring an account linked to all our games that you play lets us help you guys out better. Especially when it comes to things like missing content or errors with your content. It also provides another layer of security in world that is very heavily online.

Aljo.png
Message 8 of 46 (9,614 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

My brother is having the same issue. He can not recover his account because he no longer has access to the email on file. Should be fairly easy to simply create a new EA account, link it to your gamer tag and log in. I understand security but the problem here actually lies in the software. 
This process is extremely flawed and EA should provide compensation for this inconvenience. I spent $60 on this game, purchased as a gift for my brother and he still has not been able to play it with me. It has been over a month. How would you feel if you purchased a car but then in order to fill it up with gas you must first verify ownership of an old email address that you created when you were 6 years old. So you try over and over again to recover the email address never finding resolution, get no actual support or resolution from the company you purchased the car from, and a month later your car is still stuck at the gas station never once being driven since you purchased it.

Absolutely unacceptable and if I do not receive resolution shortly I will without a doubt never purchase another EA game again out of principle.

Message 9 of 46 (9,584 Views)

Community Manager

@Nagerade 

Your stolen car analogy is an interesting one. When you buy a car, the owner needs to show proof they own it. When they only have a set of keys and no registration, how are you to know they actually own that car? They say they own it, but you're potentially buying a stolen car. Wouldn't you rather get verification you're not buying a stolen vehicle? If it were as simple as you'd like it to be, anyone who had a set of keys to a car should be able to sell it to someone else without worrying about who actually owns it. Obviously, that's not ok. Just because your brother says they own the account, it doesn't mean we should believe them, remove the link to their gamertag, which basically deletes all progress on all EA games, including Ultimate Team, and hand the account over to them. What if your brother wanted to play a prank on you and get all your hard work, as well as money you spent, wiped out? We've heard of this happening in the past so it's more likely than you think.

Again, I absolutely understand the frustration, but also try to see it from our side. We're trying to keep accounts with their original owners. When you don't know the details of your account, it doesn't look like you own it.

Aljo.png
Message 10 of 46 (9,559 Views)