I love NHL 22 but There are serious issues with the Game

by KingPyrrhus981

Original Post

Re: I love NHL 22 but There are serious issues with the Game

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo

This answer makes no sense to me. Am I missing something?

In a peer to peer connection the network status graph is measure of my connection to my opponent... isn't their connection identical to mine? So if it would say "good" for my connection, on their end wouldn't it also say "good"? Wouldn't it be the same case if my connection was "poor" on my end?

If this is not the case, what factors can cause our peer to peer network connections to have a mismatch (I.e. I have a "good" connection but my opponent has a "poor" connection)?

Message 21 of 50 (1,355 Views)

Community Manager

@KingPyrrhus981 

That meter shows your connection to your opponent. It doesn't show the quality of your opponent's connection. Any number of factors can cause for a bad connection. Being on wireless, having a lot of traffic on their network, bad routing from the ISP, settings on their equipment or issues with their equipment in general, etc. 

Aljo.png
Message 22 of 50 (1,348 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

Part of my frustration is that I asked for a technical explanation and I felt the response was either inadequate or just ignored it. If you would have explained this from the beginning we would have avoided going in circles, and I wouldn't have been getting royally pissed at you and EA.

So I have gotten in the practice of watching the network connection indicator/graph as a game is loading and would disconnect before puck drop if I saw a connection in the "yellow" or the "red." But your explanation now states that isn't a good way to determine if there will or not be issues.

Can you guys consider a few things to avoid these issues for us in the future?

1. Make it so the network connection graph/indicator shows both connections in the peer to peer connection? I.e. my connection to my opponent and his/her connection to me?
  2. Make it so that the single network connection graph/indicator is "holistic" and is indicative of the connection in both directions?
  3. Put the online versus on a dedicated server?

I do understand that there are connection issues you can't control, and that these cannot be avoided all the time. Regardless I've done everything I can on my end to mitigate them, and they are occurring at an unacceptable rate.

You gotta meet myself, and all the others of us having these issues halfway. It might not be "your" issue on "your" end, but it still affects the quality of your game. If you can't, or don't care to, find a fix/mitigation, I will think hard and long before shoveling out $60 to pre-order NHL23, as I only buy yearly to play online.

Message 23 of 50 (1,336 Views)

Community Manager

@KingPyrrhus981 

Apologies, but it looks like I was wrong about that. The connection indicator also takes your opponent's connection into mind. Are you checking it during the intermissions and it's still staying green? 

Hopefully, Online Versus will move to dedicated servers at some point. I don't have any news on that though.

Aljo.png
Message 24 of 50 (1,324 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo

Apology accepted.

This issue has happened in games where the peer to peer connection (according to the network connection graph/indicator) is a stable green line at intermission. It has happened when there is a flat green line (checked by going to pause menu) when the weird "lag" is happening during the faceoffs. It has happened in games where the network connection indicator/graph was a solid green line EVERY time I checked it and I saw/felt no other lag in the game.

I know others have reported the same thing, some of them in the EA Answers forums.

From your latest clarification (correcting your previous mistaken clarification) and my observations while playing, this issue occurs even when the in-game network connection indicator/graph is a solid green good connection. So there shouldn't be any lag in those cases. I again respectfully ask that you investigate this issue and determine the cause.

I am going to sound like a broken record, but I must reiterate. I only buy these games every year to play online. If this is not resolved there is a good chance I will skip NHL23. And some others after it probably too. I can't image that I am the only one either.

Message 25 of 50 (1,313 Views)

Community Manager

@KingPyrrhus981 

I'm really sorry for the confusion, but our servers aren't involved since you're not actually playing on them. If you do happen to try playing a dedicated server mode, let me know. That would be incredibly helpful as it would mean it's not just a peer to peer issue. Unfortunately, without that, any troubleshooting we do could be moot, but we can continue with it still. Did you check the settings I mentioned in this post along with changing your DNS settings?

Aljo.png
Message 26 of 50 (1,299 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo

Are you even reading our posts?

I never said that the online versus was using your dedicated server mode, I am fully aware that it has a peer to peer connection. I am arguing that I have a solid green peer to peer connection and the weird face off "lag" occurs, which shouldn't happen with a good connection.  There is probably a bug in your software (or something) that is causing the issue and I am asking you to look into it.

Just two days ago someone else posted about it happening in (HUT?) rivals.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/NHL-22-face-off-glitch/m-p/11389148#M2938

I've done all your trouble shooting stuff you asked me to, and this still occurs even with a solid green peer to peer connection.

Your right that we are going in circles, because you and your team don't want to investigate the issue and just want to blame our connection. It is frankly poor customer service.

Am I a second class customer as I am on the PS4?

Do you not care about an issue in NHL22 as NHL23 is in development and will come out this fall?

I'm thirty-six, have a full time job, have kids, and other commitments. I really don't have time for this nonsense. I just want to fire up my game, play a couple online versus, then move on with my busy life.

If you want my continued business every year, investigate the issue and fix the game. If not, then your loss.

Message 27 of 50 (1,239 Views)

Community Manager

@KingPyrrhus981 

The other report you linked is a different issue and not related to the one you're experiencing. It sounds like you don't have time to continue troubleshooting this. If we start seeing other reports or find any issues, I'll report back here. Let me know if you change your mind about troubleshooting or if you try a dedicated server mode to see how it compares to Online Versus.

Aljo.png
Message 28 of 50 (1,224 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Aljo 

I've tried everything you've suggested, but if you have any other troubleshooting ideas (besides playing WoC or HUT) feel free to lay them all out here.

Regardless, I am thoroughly convinced it is not a connection issue and is a glitch in your software, as I often have a perfect connection when it happens. As do others who reported it.

Feel free also to provide a technical explanation how this can be a connection issue when the connection indicator/graph shows a perfect connection - I am still waiting for that...

I am thoroughly disgusted by your customer service.

Message 29 of 50 (1,212 Views)

Community Manager

@KingPyrrhus981 

Since you're unhappy with the support I'm offering, it would be best to contact an advisor for further assistance. If I see others with this same issue, I'll get it reported. You can open a case here.

Aljo.png
Message 30 of 50 (1,203 Views)