Huge fps drops on high end laptop

by loserito8

Original Post

Re: Huge fps drops on high end laptop

@The_Tibber I meant he probably installed the latest drivers after the format, sorry for the misunderstanding. Standard smile
Message 11 of 29 (2,182 Views)

Champion

Ahh kk :P

Some people dont know that you need to get those kind of drivers from the manufacturer website and just rely on Windows update xD

Message 12 of 29 (2,173 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hey again ! Tried to get the log from Afterburner, hope I got the correct file (if not, sorry, it's the first time I do it !)... Can't add it to my answer apparently because of the extension, but here's the link to get it:

https://filebin.net/61o9dampwtzvt237/HardwareMonitoring.hml?t=2ug8edzm

Take only the last entry by the way, the previous ones didn't record fps datas.

Thanks in advance !

EDIT: oh, and I had indeed updated all my drivers, including bios. Didn't change anything unfortunately.

Message 13 of 29 (2,160 Views)

Sorry, I had to be more clear. I meant while in-game you can monitor your PC's statistics from the up-left corner of your screen(Sadly, logs are not helpful). While playing you can see what changes when FPS drops happen. The reason you are doing these things is to see if the issue is with voltage, overheating etc.

Here is how to configure those settings 

Btw is G-sync on/off?

Message 14 of 29 (2,126 Views)

Champion

Alright, lets do a antivirus sweep just to check.

Download this and run the scan: https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

After, press the Win key and type cmd the run as admin.

In the black window type:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Then type: 

sfc /scannow

Now run windows update to check for updates, then run windows security.

Once you find the virus and threat protection, run a quick scan.

Message 15 of 29 (2,109 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey again ! Thanks everyone for your advices.

Did the whole anti malware stuff, but didn't find anything.

Took a few screenshots with afterburner's infos on. Some when everything's fine, other when the * hits the fan (pun intended).

(keep in mind that I'm playing on an ultra thin gaming laptop though, so I guess the CPU/GPU temp are supposed to be way higher than on a desktop computer, or even on a "regular" gaming laptop).

As you'll see, the CPU temp drops by 20°C when my fps drop, AND my GPU voltage is divided by two (indicating "no load" a couple lines below).

Does that simply mean that I'm having thermal throttling ? Or is the throttling caused by the GPU voltage in a way (like the CPU taking the GPU load, causing it to overheat maybe) ? I'm at loss, but maybe someone here can help me. Thanks in advance !

Message 16 of 29 (2,081 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Yeah 80c+ is pretty toasty.

Are you able to go into your Laptop's bios and change the fan profile?

So when your CPU reaches 70c they go 100% and the lower temps are at a speed that is still active but not incredibly loud.

Also do you have the laptop on a flat surface? despite their name they are not build for your lap under heavy load.

Message 17 of 29 (2,058 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Also, thought I'd point out that I've just tried plugging my laptop on my TV (HDMI). I was capped at 48fps, stable, no drop. And my GPU temp was 15-20°C lower.

Message 18 of 29 (2,057 Views)

Champion

Just incase OP needs to reply

Message 19 of 29 (2,052 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh yeah I think I found it. Cap your FPS to 60 FPS or something close to it because at 100FPS your PC turns into a toaster.

Message 20 of 29 (2,051 Views)