Re: Huge fps drops on high end laptop

by NervousAndPotato

Original Post

Huge fps drops on high end laptop

★★★★ Novice

Hey everyone !

I've been experimenting terrible fps drop for a few days, making the game hardly playable. I have between 100 and 144 fps most of the time, but I suddenly drop to 15 or 30 at completely random moments. I even get those drops in the firing range sometimes. I have absolutely no idea what's causing it. Been through the troubleshooting guide posted on this forum, tried every steps of it, even went so far as to completely reinstall my laptop, nothing helped unfortunately.

My laptop is an Asus Zephyrus ROG S GX531GX with a i7-8750H, a RTX2080, 16gb DDR4, and a full hd screen. I've tried playing with everything on low/disabled, I'm still getting those terrible drops. I only use my laptop for gaming so I don't have anything else installed. If anyone has a genius idea, I'd be super grateful...

Thanks in advance !

Message 1 of 29 (6,692 Views)
Highlighted

@loserito8 Hello there.

Do you play League of Legends? My friend has the same system as yours and was experiencing huge drops on Modern Warfare. The solution to those drops was deleting/disabling the LoL related program Blirz(?)(I don't play LoL so I'm not completely sure about its name). It sounds like a joke I know.

Update me if it doesn't change anything and we will look deeper into this issue.

Good luck.
Message 2 of 29 (6,654 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I would probably start with disabling other programs, go into task manager>startup> then disable everything you don't need and test run it. Also I have a similar laptop Asus Strix Scar 2 with Rtx 2070 it came with 16gb Ddr but it was in single channel configuration, I didn't get drops that low but after upgrading to 2 16gb sticks I saw a massive boost to fps in apex legends. Might want to look into it if you arn't running in dual channel or else your ram will bottleneck your cpu quiet dramatically.

Message 3 of 29 (6,639 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey, thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I don't play LoL. I only used this computer for a few games so far (Overwatch, Baba is you, Disco Elysium, Fallen Order, and Apex, that's it), but I don't have any of those anymore (except for Apex) since I did a full reinstall a couple days ago (that didn't fix anything unfortunately). 

Message 4 of 29 (6,625 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've also tried deactivating anything that starts with my computer, but unfortunately I didn't have anything basically. So it hasn't fixed my issue... 

I've tried cleaning the back panel of my laptop too, but it was rather clean (the pc is pretty new, so it wasn't a surprise). I really don't have any clue, hope somebody can help ! Thanks

Message 5 of 29 (6,616 Views)

I will appreciate if you provide us your in-game stats:

- GPU usage&temperature&VRAM

- CPU usage&temperature&core speed

- RAM speed&usage.

You can use monitoring programs like MSI Afterburner.

Also what are your video settings in Apex?

Message 6 of 29 (6,610 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey !

I got a log file from HWMonitor, don't know if it's as thorough as Afterburner, but I'll attach it to this post.

And here are my settings right now (though I've also tried playing with everything on low, and I still get the drops):

Full Screen

16/9

1920x1080

V sync disabled

AA: TSAA

Texture filtering: Anisotropic 2x

Ambient occlusion quality: Low

Sun shadow coverage: Low

Sun shadow detail: Low

Spot shadow detail: Disabled

Volumetric lighting: Disabled

Dynamic spot shadows: Disabled

Model detail: Medium

Effects detail: Low

Impact marks: Disabled

Ragdolls: Disabled

Message 7 of 29 (6,591 Views)

Champion

Have you updated your drivers? (this is nothing to do with windows update)

You can get the latest drivers here: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-S-GX531/HelpDesk_Download/

You can ignore utility and other as they are not drivers.

Message 8 of 29 (6,584 Views)

Sorry I need your in-game stats to confirm everything is working properly while gaming.

As The_Tibber said updating your drivers may work but you just formatted your PC so I assume you had the latest drivers. If so, install previous drivers to see if anything changes. 

Message 9 of 29 (6,582 Views)

Champion

A PC format would only install legacy or stock drivers not the latest ones as it just does not work like that. Standard smile

Message 10 of 29 (6,557 Views)