Re: How to fix crashing in Apex Legends.[Permanent]

by _S7ORM-BRINGR

Original Post

★ Guide

@NamelessHenchman wrote:

Sorry this is on the developer's end. It's bad code - plain and simple.

No amount of "tweaking" your system will fix this, otherwise it wouldn't be happening to everybody.

"Sorry this is on the developer's end. It's bad code - plain and simple." - I agree, they need to fix it, the question is "when".

"No amount of "tweaking" your system will fix this, otherwise it wouldn't be happening to everybody." - you haven't read my post obviously.

Btw, most of the people are crashing. I saw a Community Manager saying that this happens to a small group of people, which is incorrect. It happens to nearly everyone, but not everyone is complaining on the forums. Every 1-2 games I see somebody from my squad disconnect and I can assure you it's a disconnect, because there is no reason to leave, when we're doing good. 

Message 31 of 60 (1,519 Views)

★ Guide

@RipjawsAU-TTV wrote:

Look, as much as I and I'm sure the community here appreciates the help I think its ridiculous to expect players to mess around in their BIOS to play a game without it crashing randomly. This crash has been happening since the season pass Patch. s I know you are just trying to help but this kinda crap needs to stop because its not our jobs to fix a game its EA's job. They Suck enough money out of gamers so there's no excuse for this rubbish. 

Its like they are expecting us to tweak this and that just to play the game. They are waiting for us to fix it for them at this point. F that.

Excuse me, where have you read that I'm "expecting" somebody to mess around in their BIOS? Where have you read that I'm asking somebody to underclock their PCs?
I'm just sharing a workaround that fixed the below explained problems.

"This crash has been happening since the season pass Patch." - no, it's been from the launch of the game. After the patch, it got worse for the players experiencing it.

CroLudi's comments in this thread are adequate and logic, you should take an example.

Message 32 of 60 (1,518 Views)

★ Guide
Wait...you took what i said as an attack against you ? You need to relax and stop taking things at such a personal level. You clearly did not get the right message that I was trying to get out there. Based on some of the feedback you got in this thread I can understand why though.

Take a breather buddy and cool your jets. We are all on the same side here trying to get on the game. All i was trying to get across was its silly to expect people to dig deep into their own settings to play a game that was running perfectly fine a few days ago.
Message 33 of 60 (1,499 Views)

★ Guide

@CroL0co wrote:

@kto1b wrote:

I just uncapped framerate to crash on purpose I don't ever get anything in event viewer my issue isn't bad_module_info so I don't really know. That still highlights to me cpu instability issue for people that get it and fix it this method.

edit; i dont even get apex_crash.txt file either...

You don't get nothing in event viewer/windows logs/application?

The apex_crash.txt should be under Computer/Documents.

Now answer me few more questions regarding your cpu instability claim:

1. Why are much more demanding stress tests and games not crashing on the old OC, but only Apex if CPU instability is the problem?

2. Why is limiting FPS to 60-80 any different, does this also mean that people who "fixed" the game that way have unstable CPU/GPU overclocks?

3. A lot of people who crash when not limiting FPS run their system on stock settings, if there is no OC does it mean their HW is faulty?

I am well aware of where to check for the text file I'm not the only one that doesn't get one I crashed a bunch of times to triple check I don't get one. I don't get anything in event viewer either never have since the beginning. 

I can't answer your questions because we have been arguing about different types of crashes to begin with. I don't suffer bad module info, this is an error that affects many games and is related to Windows game mode and full screen optimizations. I have no idea how using avx offset alleviates this issue for you other than reducing performance of the game to improve the 'game stability'. Also been lots of confusion between game stability and system stability. Full screen optimizations doesn't like being minimized, that is why the 'fix' that people don't minimize their game helps them. Capping the framerates isn't about dodging system stability rather game stability. That is why over many different configurations most people can't go over 80 fps because its more about the game engine having a hiccup not the system.

I was attacking OP regarding overclock stability because he presumed mine unstable with zero information. There was far more chance that you guys are unstable with the information you have given than what I am running. Especially if you are saying that reducing clocks for avx instructions helps you. You both also are wrongly presuming how stability works, I've been p95 stable and crashed in something as seemingly measly as Overwatch. Its just how it goes, so to presume that Apex is less stressful than BF5 is ignorant. 

Number 3 I am still not sure which crash we are talking about unfortunately.

Again for what its worth I'll apologize a second time but to be fair you both jumped all over me and insulted my intelligence simply for calling your 'permanent solution' bad. 

Message 34 of 60 (1,490 Views)

★ Guide

@_S7ORM-BRINGR wrote:

@kto1b wrote:
I don't get anything in event viewer, I don't have avx control on ivybridge, and my overclock is already reduced and conservative. Stop posturing up like you have the answer you are pissing me off.

I have the answer, maybe you don't want to accept it?

"my overclock is already reduced and conservative" - you will forever crash, without even knowing it's the OC. At first glance, you have an unstable overclock, better reset bios to default and try playing again. I'm trying to help you and you get mad?

Glance at what? A an overclock that is far from its peak potential with extra voltage sounds unstable to you compared to your peak OC with avx offset? Thats clearly toeing the line. It is impossible for you to 'have' the answer when your fix is only applicable to some hardware.

Message 35 of 60 (1,488 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Darko wrote:

This back and forth ends here, there is never any need to bypass the swear filter or attack another user.

If from here on out, another user posts in a manner to bypass the swear filter or attack another user then they will be facing a ban.

Darko

What ends here is my damn patience for this game, the novelty has already worn off, the ignorance that only a small amount of people suffer crashes is bamboozling. People swear out of frustration and when your game has been severely broken since launch I don't know why its so surprising or shocking to you, or why you condone this thread in general with such poor risky advice (lucky that OP editted it after being called out) You should be doing far more than caring about swear filter bypass and actually aid and appease the community with this issue thats spiraling out of control. Pretty sure your title says Community Manager not Moderator. We just need to be told that there is progress, that its being solved, that there is light at the end of the tunnel, for now you can consider me done and dusted. And if I do ever come back don't think I'd even dream of giving you a dime. Went from the biggest hype train into the biggest frustration for millions of people. A flop epic enough for the record books at this rate. https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/b0reek/so_i_found_this_interview_with_a_respawn_employ... all just a big joke..

Message 36 of 60 (1,473 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@CroL0co wrote:

@kto1b wrote:
Appreciate the effort but extremely useless guide. And then * on the actual things that do help players. Bad

If you don't understand something don't immediately call it bad. Compared to the other "fixes" like run three circles around your PC, play Queen - We are the champions before each game etc the thing that OP wrote is actually on to something. The "limit the FPS fix" is nothing more but making your system work with less load (stress), but that's just a workaround, the thing that is causing the stress and instability is still not fixed that way.

I had crashes almost every game and I tried literally everything, nothing helped, well sometimes I had pure luck and was able to play a game until the end. Once I lowered my CPU overclock by 200mhz I reverted my GPU overclock, reverted video settings and limited FPS to 140 and I had 1 crash in 5 days, so I bumped my voltage a bit more just to be 100% crash free. Just like the OP I did some testing with the AVX offset and saw that the game is actually using AVX instructions. For those who don't know what AVX offset does, it lowers your cpu clock by the set amount (-1 equals 100mhz, -2 equals 200mhz and so on) once an AVX instruction activates. AVX instructions put a lot of stress on the CPU so this feature is used to help with stability and temperature problems.

While the problem for some people could be unstable overclock there are few things that deny it:

1. If the overclock is stable in stress tests like prime95 which also use AVX instructions and put a much higher load and stress on the CPU then it should run Apex with ease.

2. If games like BF5 who also use AVX and push the cpu to the limits run crash free so should Apex.

3. When you have an unstable CPU overclock and the CPU crashes it usually results in a blue screen or system freeze and not just a crash into desktop.

4. People with CPU's that can't overclock are also having problems and those CPU's are set to work on voltages that are 100% stable in every possible scenario.

Regarding the last point, there is also a possibility that people with such CPU's aren't facing the mentioned problems with the CPU, but problems with some other type of crash. The devs wrote that there are more then one crash type, the good news is that some of them will be fixed in the next client patch.

"In the next client patch on PC we will be addressing some of the known crashes, but there will still be work to do as we haven’t nailed down all crashes yet."

Well I get CTD's, no error everytime I play Apex.

I play BF5 with 0 issues and I'm running a FX6300 default 3.5Ghz clock

without turbo core enabled.

So there are definetly issues that are purely Apex related.

Also, I've played Titanfall 2 on this setup with also.. 0 issues.

Battlefield 4-0 problems

Warframe max settings -0 issues

Fortnite - 0 issues

that's not all the games I play but none of them

have this problem either.

Message 37 of 60 (1,471 Views)

★ Apprentice

WOW.

This thread should be deleted ASAP.

Messing with mobo/cpu voltages is ONLY for incredibly experienced ppl, and even that is still not safe.

Message 38 of 60 (1,455 Views)

★★ Guide

@kto1b wrote:

I am well aware of where to check for the text file I'm not the only one that doesn't get one I crashed a bunch of times to triple check I don't get one. I don't get anything in event viewer either never have since the beginning. 

I can't answer your questions because we have been arguing about different types of crashes to begin with. I don't suffer bad module info, this is an error that affects many games and is related to Windows game mode and full screen optimizations. I have no idea how using avx offset alleviates this issue for you other than reducing performance of the game to improve the 'game stability'. Also been lots of confusion between game stability and system stability. Full screen optimizations doesn't like being minimized, that is why the 'fix' that people don't minimize their game helps them. Capping the framerates isn't about dodging system stability rather game stability. That is why over many different configurations most people can't go over 80 fps because its more about the game engine having a hiccup not the system.

I was attacking OP regarding overclock stability because he presumed mine unstable with zero information. There was far more chance that you guys are unstable with the information you have given than what I am running. Especially if you are saying that reducing clocks for avx instructions helps you. You both also are wrongly presuming how stability works, I've been p95 stable and crashed in something as seemingly measly as Overwatch. Its just how it goes, so to presume that Apex is less stressful than BF5 is ignorant. 

Number 3 I am still not sure which crash we are talking about unfortunately.

Again for what its worth I'll apologize a second time but to be fair you both jumped all over me and insulted my intelligence simply for calling your 'permanent solution' bad. 

Again you gave me 0 answers, just some assumptions and nothing more.

Can't believe you're still defending low FPS locking over lovering the OC by 200mhz. While the first cripples your game experience (assuming you're playing on a high RR monitor) the other one makes you lose few FPS. Also saying that only the 2nd one is a sign for instability just like not seeing how much load BF5 puts on the cpu is just ignorant. Btw the thing with OW was also on  the devs side.

I understand you're frustrated, but not accepting any logic wont get you far.

Message 39 of 60 (1,434 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I am defending it because it works and lowering the OC didn't. Which is what logically indicates instability for you and not for me, don't know how much clearer it can be.
Games put loads on in different ways, as you've noticed with the avx2 instructions. You are still talking about a different type of crash. Same thing happens with GPU's, people say Heaven is intensive but its so loaded with tesselation that it doesn't stress the gpu its just a benchmark. When the game has a hiccup it rapidly changes the cpu utilization which can throw a cpu with c-states way off. It's possible to have an overclock that is fine under load but cannot transition back and forth between heavy load and no load effectively.

Message 40 of 60 (1,429 Views)