Re: How does Squadrons classify a joystick/flightstick from a gamepad/"cont

by Zaphod4254

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How does Squadrons classify a joystick/flightstick from a gamepad/"controller"?

★★★ Novice

I've seen a lot of other posts in various places about lots of joystick issues, but none of them address this specific issue.

In short, my joystick is being detected by Squadrons as a "controller" instead of as a flightstick.  I can map some of the functions of the joystick to the "controller" items, but it won't recognize the Z axis for throttle, nor the hat.

How can get my joystick to be recognized as a flightstick?

Note, I'm NOT using the game through Steam, so the Steam fix about the joystick config within the Steam client doesn't apply.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 11 (4,642 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Following from my previous post about trying to use vJoy and Joystick Gremlin, but having sensitivity issues (as best as I can describe it), I've solved that.

I was missing the HidGuardian piece.  Although I saw the HidGuardian option in Joystick Gremlin, and did have it checked to hide the original physical controller, I didn't have HidGuardian itself installed. Once I actually installed HidGuardian, things worked fine.

Though it's a pain that I have to do this in the first place.

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (4,357 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

'Controllers' implement the XInput (Xbox) API; 'flight sticks' implement DirectInput.  Some devices support both APIs and have a physical switch on them to select which should be used.  Barring that, you'll need to use external software to map your XInput device to a virtual DirectInput device.  I'm sure Joystick Gremlin could do this, but there may be simpler, more purpose-built programs as well.

Message 2 of 11 (4,635 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the tip on Joystick Gremlin.  In one sense it got me closer, but in another sense it broke it more than it already was.

Using Joystick Gremlin and vjoy, a Flightstick does now show up inside the game, and when I go into the flightstick controls to remap controls, everything maps as expected (I'm not really, truly remapping things, I'm just checking to see how the functions on the joystick match up to what I expect in the game, and they do).

But when I go in to play the game, the throttle slider and hat are now recognized so that's good, but the x and y axes now are very broken for pitch and yaw.  Pulling "up" I see the ship nose up VERY slightly.  Left or Down does nothing at all.  Right does turn right.  (At least without JG and mapping the joystick to the "Controller" inputs, the x and y axes work fine.)

I notice the game STILL also sees a "Controller" in addition to the new Flightstick.  I did use the HidGuardian function of Joystick Gremlin to hide the original stick "controller" device, but I still se the Controller config in the game.  I tried removing all of the bindings for the "Controller" thinking maybe it was getting conflicting signals from the stick being represented as both types of input.  This didn't help.

I'll have to play with it some more tomorrow.

Message 3 of 11 (4,613 Views)

★ Guide
@Zaphod4254 Maybe a stupid suggestion (I don't have this game..yet?). But have you gone through the regular Windows Game Controllers calibration thing? I was thinking it might fix the x / y axis?
(I've never used Joystick gremlin either, but I've used UCR / vJoy in other games, for my HOTAS).
Message 4 of 11 (4,590 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Yes, the Windows "joy.cpl" calibration and testing works perfectly, and the joystick works perfectly in other games that don't care what "type" it is.  I did see a mention in another Reddit thread using UCR because they couldn't get Joystick Gremlin to work.  So I will try that at some point to.

But I also read that there is supposed to be a bug fix in the next game update to fix some joystick issues so I'm thinking I may wait until that update comes out and then try Gremlin again.  Then explore other options if that still doesn't work.

Message 5 of 11 (4,571 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Zaphod4254 I have exactly the same issue on Xbox One with Hotas One
Message 6 of 11 (4,492 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi ,
I do have exact the same problem. 

Joystick model : PXN-2113

URL : http://e-pxn.com/products/arcade-stick/pxn-2113

I am Running the game via Steam.

Could you elaborate on solution or workaround ? 

Message 7 of 11 (4,389 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Following from my previous post about trying to use vJoy and Joystick Gremlin, but having sensitivity issues (as best as I can describe it), I've solved that.

I was missing the HidGuardian piece.  Although I saw the HidGuardian option in Joystick Gremlin, and did have it checked to hide the original physical controller, I didn't have HidGuardian itself installed. Once I actually installed HidGuardian, things worked fine.

Though it's a pain that I have to do this in the first place.

Message 8 of 11 (4,358 Views)

★ Novice

im having the same issue with my Hotas X thrustmaster Flight T.

i dont want to download any third party apps or software to sort this has it was working fine at launch but since the update it hasnt.

The menu option to remap the joystick has vanished to i noticed.

Joy.cpl says everything is work fine and I've reinstalled the drivers so it has to be the game right?

Message 9 of 11 (3,791 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same flight stick.  When I first plugged it in, it worked fine and was recognized as a flight stick. After walking away from the computer for a while it is only recognized as a controller now... 

Message 10 of 11 (3,474 Views)