Re: How do I run Traceroute on Apex servers?

by Salivals

Original Post

How do I run Traceroute on Apex servers?

★★ Apprentice

Does anyone have any IPs to traceroute to troubleshoot network issues? I'm on the west coast (Oregon). The only IP I have for EA servers is in Virginia and my ISP doesn't think it's worth looking into since I'd be connecting to something closer. I have massive packet loss and I'm trying to find out the source.

Message 1 of 7 (17,904 Views)

Community Manager

@Krystalmyth 

How to run UOTrace

• Download the UO Trace program if you do not already have it.
  • Run the program.
      • If a pop-up box appears telling you "UO Server List not found," click No.

OU Server list not found

• Click the Options menu at the top of the window, then click Advanced.

Options menu, click Advanced

• Type easo.ea.com in the window where you see the server list. This works for most EA titles.
    • If you're having trouble connecting to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, choose your server location from this list and test your connection to it instead of easo.ea.com:
      • East Coast: 159.153.92.28
      • West Coast: 159.153.68.252
      • Europe: 159.153.72.252
  • Click the Trace Route button.

Traceroute button in UO Trace Utility

1. Click the Poll button when it’s done.
  2. Under the Pkts r/s column, wait for the number of packets to get up to 100 then click Stop poll.
      • The Stop poll button is the same as the Poll button.

stop poll

When you’re done, the UOTrace will be filled out with information about packet loss and ping times.

Understanding your results

There are a few things to keep your eye out for when running these tests.

• High ping times: If your average ping times are often above 150ms, you’ll see slower response times in-game. If they’re over 200ms, you’ll probably have connection drops.
  • Packet loss: If you see numbers other than 0% or 100% in the % Loss column, it means data is being lost at that point in your connection. If you see it in more than one place, or if the numbers are high, this is probably what’s causing your connection issues. Make a note of the hops where packet loss is happening, and contact your ISP to let them know about it
  • Big differences between the best/worst ping times: This is a good indicator of an unstable connection. The difference between your best and worst ping times should be 100ms at most. If it’s more than that, that means a jittery or spiky connection.This is what causes lag in games and is the source of frustrating inconsistencies in performance. If you see this in your UOTrace, talk to your ISP about that, too.

If you contact EA Help and an Advisor asks to see your UOTrace results:

1. Click Edit, then Copy.
  2. Open Notepad by going to All Programs > Accessories in the Start menu.
    • You can also search for Notepad in the Start menu to find it.
  3. Paste the results into Notepad and save the file where you’ll remember you put it.

Run the trace twice, save and send both sets of results to us. That way we can compare the results to get a clearer picture of what’s happening.

Follow these steps to send the files to one of our Advisors.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic

barry.png
Message 2 of 7 (17,816 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Barry That's won't resolve input lag issue.
Your servers are fine. The problem most of the times are the server farms you use around the world (just see Velia.net in Europe)
Message 3 of 7 (17,604 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Barry
Can i follow the same steps to traceroute apex legends servers from India?
Message 4 of 7 (16,071 Views)

★ Novice

Top notch customer support here.

Message 5 of 7 (15,589 Views)

★★★ Novice

Is this software available for mac users?  I'm on PS5 and don't own a PC.

I'm in Oregon as well. The netcode + packetloss has gotten unbearable.

Even where my performance graph says the connection is good, opponents teleport like an oldschool lag switch and can shoot around corners.

Message 6 of 7 (7,899 Views)

★★★ Novice

i would try different servers. i try to stay around the 50-80ms. I can always tell when i forget to change DC's because i get shot through doors and other kinds of BS. my guess is my ISP is congested causing brief ping spikes. I dont have fiber so i never get below 30ms anyway. But by changing DC's my hit reg and movement even feel smoother. while yes, you may have higher ping, that difference could be distance and the speed of light compared to congested nodes? ( not sure if the few hops before endpoint are each my isp's server nodes, but seems like it.).. also lag compensation is a thing! you should try using your phone as a hotspot or usb tether your phone to pc, then run ethernet to your PS5 and be amazed at your godlike skills, and hella unpredictable movements being logged into apexs servers lol...  its borderline cheating imo. 

Message 7 of 7 (7,688 Views)