High packet loss(over 10%, reaching sometimes 70%) every few games in apex on EU

by Hungrysnoop

Original Post

Accepted Solution

High packet loss(over 10%, reaching sometimes 70%) every few games in apex on EU

★★★★ Novice

I am getting high packet loss of over 10% every few games on European servers while North American servers have no packet loss and I live in Germany. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? It's on both of my pcs so it's not a pc specific issue and if I had packet loss on all servers then I would assume its 100% router/isp problem. I only tested North American servers and I normally play on EU so I am not sure how other servers behave. I tried a GPN to fix this and it has its own problems like at the start it was working fine then gives me packet loss on 1 pc while the other that is not using GPN doesn't have packet loss then it switches up. Normally both pcs have the same packet loss at the same time. I want to add that I play other FPS games and I never have packet loss in them. I also tried TCP/UDP port forwarding and playing on 1 pc with all ports EA provided for apex and it didn't solve the issue. I heard of a TCP optimizer app on Youtube but I don't how it works exactly so I didn't try that. I need to add also that I was playing till mid-season 4 before I quit and I came back at the start of season 6 where the irregular packet loss issue started to happen so I didn't get to test if the problem was in season 5 too or not, but season 1 to 4 didn't have this issue other than the normal server wise lag that happened from time to time. Also, it's either a high packet round or no packet loss at all round.

Specs

Win10

Killer network driver

i7-9750h

32gb ram

RTX Nvidia 2070

The router is fritz box 7360 and ISP is Telecom.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Message 1 of 18 (4,080 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: High packet loss(over 10%, reaching sometimes 70%) every few games in apex o

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi, few months later just want to say that today I tried to use a good vpn and so far I didn't get any packet loss while my other pc without vpn did have packet loss in the same round. Hope it fixes the problem for good, so maybe it was a routing issue in the end. So for those having this problem maybe try a good vpn and checks if it works for you. I'll report back later if I have this high packet loss problem again.

View in thread

Message 10 of 18 (3,658 Views)

All Replies

Re: High packet loss(over 10%, reaching sometimes 70%) every few games in apex o

Community Manager

Hey @Hungrysnoop I would recommend going through our Advanced troubleshooting steps to see if you continue having this issue. If so can you provide a UOTrace for us to look at? 

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 18 (4,004 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes, i tried those troubleshooting steps already. I am getting a packet loss game one time every few games. The game with packet starts with around 40 % packet loss and slowly drops down to 5-10% by the top 3 squads. The other games with no packet loss have no packet loss from start to end.

This is my uotrace.

Message 3 of 18 (3,992 Views)

★★★★ Novice

anything wrong with my uotrace? @EA_Illium 

Message 4 of 18 (3,926 Views)

Community Manager
@Hungrysnoop There are several hopes not reporting information over ptks r/s and ping best and worse, I would recommend showing this information to your ISP and seeing if setting up a static IP is possible to see if you continue to have issues.

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 5 of 18 (3,905 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Sorry, what do you mean by hopes not reporting information? do you mean the ones reporting 100% packet loss? @EA_Illium 

Message 6 of 18 (3,898 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Also is dynamic DNS the same as dynamic IP?

Message 7 of 18 (3,895 Views)

Community Manager
@Hungrysnoop Sorry I should have said hops, sorry for the confusion that generated, and by that each place you 'hop' through to get to our servers is a new line in the UOTrace. Most of them weren't giving info for the pkts r/s or best/worst ping times which might indicate that your networking is having to get routed through different points on it way to our server and a lot of those points aren't responding or aren't passing along the packets the game sends and receives for online play.

For your second question, Those are different. An IP address can be considered the name of your device (so your PC in this case) to other computers and the internet. A dynamic IP means its IP address can change, so if you look at your router setting for your home internet you may see it shown as some like 10.10.10.11 one day then 10.10.10.12 the next. But a DNS is kind of like a big conversion book for the computers so they can go from us calling something like 'google.com' into something like 10.10.10.10 (not an accurate number). The DNS you use can be one from your ISP or an open one like Googles, A Dynamic DNS is a way of updating the information a DNS has.

Illium.png

Message 8 of 18 (3,878 Views)

★★★★ Novice

That's a horrible cop-out answer, EA. Intermediate routers not responding to pings is entirely normal and not indicative of a problem, and there's not a chance that A) A static IP will help this, B) Any residential ISP will give a static IP.

Message 9 of 18 (3,857 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi, few months later just want to say that today I tried to use a good vpn and so far I didn't get any packet loss while my other pc without vpn did have packet loss in the same round. Hope it fixes the problem for good, so maybe it was a routing issue in the end. So for those having this problem maybe try a good vpn and checks if it works for you. I'll report back later if I have this high packet loss problem again.

Message 10 of 18 (3,659 Views)