High packet loss after switching ISPs

by FightingChance

Original Post

Accepted Solution

High packet loss after switching ISPs

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

An interesting condition has begun after I moved recently.

I just moved places in Socal and the house's provider changed from Frontier fiber to Spectrum (not sure if it's fiber or coax at this location yet). Now Apex Legends servers all report high packet loss (connecting through Spectrum) when they did not before (on Frontier). The server list in Apex reports some amount of PL on almost every server, and in game, the advanced performance stats will show loss fluctuating between a low of 15 and a high of 60. I did change my data center in Apex, from the various locations in Oregon, to Salt Lake, to Dallas, but even when the PL was shown as '0' the high PL situation remained. See the attached pictures to see in game performance stats, the server list, and the output of the UOTRACE tool.

I downloaded the 'UOTRACE' tool to troubleshoot, and it looks like there is a 'black hole' in the routing table that could be contributing to this issue - one of the hops on the tracert has 100% loss (4.79.23.202). Trying to manually ping this IP through the command line times out; I'd be curious to know what users on other ISPs get while trying this.

Apex was the first game I played so initially I believed the problem to be within the house somewhere, though I am wired, through a wall plate connection, to the gateway device. But when playing Overwatch, my ping remained low and steady and I did not encounter any packet loss situation in that game. I'll continue to test other titles as well - I'll reinstall Battlefield V to see if it the issues are constrained to EA served games.

I did change my DNS to Google public DNS, but it did not affect the issue in Apex. I am wondering if Spectrum's routing tables are including this dead spot and shedding packets at a high rate.

Thanks for reading. Hoping I don't have to engage Spectrum support because this will be super fun to explain to them.

Message 1 of 10 (1,047 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: High packet loss after switching ISPs

★★ Novice

So, a later update, sorry the wait.

Opening up ports is usually a 'hail mary' type of solution because it means something on the edge is a problem somewhere; no one should be screwing with their ports unless they have a very specific or problematic connection to the internet. But it's easy to do, and a valid step in the troubleshooting process so you can say 'everything on my side is open, so it's not that'.

Funny enough, I go to find out this Spectrum supplied router doesn't even have a web GUI - it has a QR code that wants you to download an app onto a smartphone. Can you believe that?

So to do so I need to bug my roommate to auth me as a user so I can even start this process, because it's not just a user/pass situation to get into this thing, he actually has to manually add me as an authorized user on the account. I don't feel like bugging my new roommate over 'one of my games doesn't play right, please give me all the access' so I put it off for a while.

I eventually get the access, and the the app on my phone. It's awful, it leaves out so many technical details and options from a normal router config. In fact I go to open up the ports and for some reason it doesn't save, probably because I'm not the account owner.

But I try Apex again during this time, and praise be, it just works. So my original suspicion was correct; there was a misconfig or problem somewhere in my ISPs connection to the wider internet, and I just had to wait until the Network Engineer who had that ticket in their queue got to it.

So sorry for this boring post, but I think the lesson is, if a game was working fine and then didn't for no reason, almost certainly the issue is in the wider internet beyond your house and you just have to wait until the level 2 support gets to the ticket that will fix it.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (900 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi there, @FightingChance.

Can you run the test again, but send 100 packets this time? The 100% loss ones aren't normally a concern. That usually means that hop isn't allowing pings. If you see something other than 100%, that would be concerning. So, those hops that are showing 1% loss indicate an issue. I should be able to get more information once another test is performed. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,022 Views)

★★ Novice

Additional test

Message 3 of 10 (1,010 Views)

Community Manager

@FightingChance 

Did you run this test on a wired connection? You're getting packet loss on a few hops. You also have a somewhat higher than usual connection to the router. This makes it looks like the test was done wirelessly. It would need to be wired to accurately reflect the connection you play on.

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 10 (994 Views)

★★ Novice

This is a wired connection. This is an internal patch in this house so I do need to investigate the connections; I am connected at 100Mbps which is unexpected given the run length (should be 1Gbps)

When I poll my gateway with the UOTRACE tool I get thousands of packets with no loss and 1ms average speed.

Here's another polling with the UOTRACE tool. Immediately after I started Apex but the same high packet loss was present in the Data Centers tab. I played a game and still had 20-60% packet loss.

Message 5 of 10 (976 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@FightingChance wrote:

This is a wired connection. This is an internal patch in this house so I do need to investigate the connections; I am connected at 100Mbps which is unexpected given the run length (should be 1Gbps)

When I poll my gateway with the UOTRACE tool I get thousands of packets with no loss and 1ms average speed.

Here's another polling with the UOTRACE tool. Immediately after I started Apex but the same high packet loss was present in the Data Centers tab. I played a game and still had 20-60% packet loss.

that uotrace server that you put easo,ea,com is not used by apex legends

Message 6 of 10 (963 Views)

Community Manager

@FightingChance 

The connection to your router looks fine in the new test. You're getting some high worst ping times though and a little packet loss before you reach our test server. Can you try opening the ports for Apex? They are listed here.

Aljo.png
Message 7 of 10 (959 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@EA_Aljo wrote:

@FightingChance 

The connection to your router looks fine in the new test. You're getting some high worst ping times though and a little packet loss before you reach our test server. Can you try opening the ports for Apex? They are listed here.

the game should do that itself through upnp, opening ports on your router has many security risks 

Message 8 of 10 (953 Views)

★★ Novice

So, a later update, sorry the wait.

Opening up ports is usually a 'hail mary' type of solution because it means something on the edge is a problem somewhere; no one should be screwing with their ports unless they have a very specific or problematic connection to the internet. But it's easy to do, and a valid step in the troubleshooting process so you can say 'everything on my side is open, so it's not that'.

Funny enough, I go to find out this Spectrum supplied router doesn't even have a web GUI - it has a QR code that wants you to download an app onto a smartphone. Can you believe that?

So to do so I need to bug my roommate to auth me as a user so I can even start this process, because it's not just a user/pass situation to get into this thing, he actually has to manually add me as an authorized user on the account. I don't feel like bugging my new roommate over 'one of my games doesn't play right, please give me all the access' so I put it off for a while.

I eventually get the access, and the the app on my phone. It's awful, it leaves out so many technical details and options from a normal router config. In fact I go to open up the ports and for some reason it doesn't save, probably because I'm not the account owner.

But I try Apex again during this time, and praise be, it just works. So my original suspicion was correct; there was a misconfig or problem somewhere in my ISPs connection to the wider internet, and I just had to wait until the Network Engineer who had that ticket in their queue got to it.

So sorry for this boring post, but I think the lesson is, if a game was working fine and then didn't for no reason, almost certainly the issue is in the wider internet beyond your house and you just have to wait until the level 2 support gets to the ticket that will fix it.

Message 9 of 10 (901 Views)

Community Manager

@FightingChance 

Thanks for the update! It's good to know this helped. I've had my own frustrating experiences with those combo modem/router units supplied by ISPs. Having my own separate modem and router made a big difference and highly improved my connection. This also gives you a lot more freedom for managing your network. If you have any other issues, please let us know. Have fun!

Aljo.png
Message 10 of 10 (884 Views)