Re: High latency/ping on Apex Legends

by McChodeGuy

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

I really think so.

And it varies from a day to another...

I got fiber to the cabinet, 24/7 120/20 mbps with stable 8ms ping (always, also run long term stats on it)...

My ping to Frankfurt 2 server is 30ms or even less, no packet loss.

So the issue lays in EA/Respawn server farm, not in my house, nor in the network, and not in my PC (other games just run FINE).

Furthermore, latency in game (seen with performance stats on) is between 45 and 100ms (despite ping to Frankfurt is always 30ms or less!!!).

That's a bunch more than the Frankfurt ping number (I would have expected something like 45/60ms stable total latency!), and the variation between those min and max values is simply too much, that's inacceptable. A tenth of a second, while fighting, could mean 2 to 4 shots missed, depending on the weapon (or that single and sure shot again missed).

I really, really think it was better for the game that they have put a price on it, and then used that damned money to put up a decent server farm with decent networking solutions, both hardware and software ones. Or that they have at least stated it clear: "guys, if you want priority on our server's network while playing, please give us some dollars". Would have been plain and simple.

XD

Message 41 of 76 (8,181 Views)

★★★ Novice

Want a confirmation that it's from the game? I play with my kid we have 2 setups on mine it's decent ping and latency but on his side, it's 250/300 ping whenever he plays and the inet is obviously not the reason we use the same and it's fiber optic inet, his rig ? he has a higher-end rig since I use mine for work and him only for gaming, and whenever I play with him I get 500 ping while when I play alone I get 50/60, so that sums it up, something is messed up with the game and nothing else.

Message 42 of 76 (7,608 Views)

★★ Guide

Read some Articles.

Apex Legends has the worst Netcode of all the Online MP games.

They use packet splitting which causes the stutters. Makes the game not worth playing for all it's great graphics, skins, backstory, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/f02vxz/apex_netcode_still_worst_of_all_brs/

Message 43 of 76 (7,416 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

It really pisses me off when the EA reps just link the troubleshooting page. Like most people that make it this far are competent with technology and have already tried that. I get the same issue. I play in California. The closest server is Salt Lake. HIGH ping every game yet somehow its my fault. I get 800+up and 30+down 

Message 44 of 76 (7,396 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@EA_Darko I am aware that this is an older post ;D But you really need to read the autors post again! Autor is not talking about losing connection. But about laggy servers and high pings. But this especially with season 8 has been a massive issue for many!

For me i see a good normal ping when loading game, closest game server for me are Amsterdam. Where i get 17-20ms, and veil i game, i normally get below 30ms. But from season 8, the ping often go above 40 and fluctuating much more. That is quite a jump from the usual. And so far, your small hotfixes you have sent out, has only made things slightly better, in terms of stability.

Before the rubber banding and what not of issues that was going on, was massive. Still me and my friends get laggy loading screens and longer loading times all the time, and laggy servers, higher pings than usual. Seems to happen a lot with pretty much every new season.

Message 45 of 76 (7,375 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@SapperMnK Experienced this, too: situation got even worse after season 8 kick-off!!!
Message 46 of 76 (7,359 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @SapperMnK, all those issues you describe can be connection based. A connection issue does not mean that you lose connection, it can simply be that your connection isn't great and as such you are seeing issues such as lag and packet loss. 

Have you tried the recommended troubleshooting steps to see if they help?

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 47 of 76 (7,323 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah same issues here. Its 100% not my home broadband - I do this for a living and I've logged my latency to upstream points during game and they are always with 2-3% of the same values but simply ending a game and reconnecting can see the ingame latency report vary between 20ms and 80-90ms. Its just a RNG now - Legends seems to have become MUCH worse since season8 started. But we cant complain becuase we didnt pay right, at the end of the day EA dont give a damn about the issue and as a previous poster suggested if I could pay a nominal amount and they would employe some coders to fix the netcode or be sensible about which servers they put me on it would help.

You can tell its broken because routinely I end up on the same servers as chinese, people actually in america and all over europe. At the end of the day regardless who is closest in that situation someone is getting a bum deal. Think I'll ditch Apex and head back to Pubg

Message 48 of 76 (7,235 Views)

★★★ Novice

Another issue is crossplay - how can I disable that - I'm sick this season of being grouped with screaming 9/10 year old kids and that has GOT to affect latency. All the suggestions Ive read the menu options dont seem to appear.

Message 49 of 76 (7,233 Views)

★★ Expert
@nexus1972 The glorious Respawn has removed this option on PC but I think it still exists on consoles - wonder why?
Message 50 of 76 (7,208 Views)