Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

High GPU and CPU Usage in Anthem

by TrippHazzardTV

Original Post

Accepted Solution

High GPU and CPU Usage in Anthem

★★★★★ Novice

So i'm in need of some help with my system, I have had my rig for about 2 years now and have never had an issue with any game that i have played so far until recently.

My System Specs:

• GeForce GTX 1080
  • I7-6700k
  • 16GB Hyper X Ram
  • Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mother board
  • Asus 1440p 165hz Monitor but don't have it set to 165hz only 144hz

So my issue has recently started when i was testing The Private Beta for The Divison 2 and i noticed my CPU and GPU have been running at 100% Usage so what i did was download The Division 1 and tested that and still the same thing, so i have tried changing my resolution from 1440p 144hz to 1080p 60hz and it lowers the usage by about 5% even with all the settings set on LOW with everything turned off in game, all my drivers are update for the GPU. Then today i have started Playing Anthem which has just launched and i'm having exactly the same issue so i started Anthem with everything on ULTRA settings 1440p at 144hz and 100% Usage for both, then tried it with everything on low at 1080p 60hz and dropped down about 5-10% 

I have tried testing other games to see if it's an issue with my PC and one of my main games i play is Escape From Tarkov and everything runs at around 50% usage which is normal but with the issue i am having at the moment i'm not enjoying Anthem as much as i would like to as i'm more worried about these numbers, Temperatures for CPU and GPU look fine as they are not overheating with the CPU sat at around 40-50 and GPU sat between 70-80 degrees. 

Message 1 of 175 (22,657 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Extremely High GPU Usage

Community Manager

Hey all, the Anthem team addressed this in their livestream yesterday (Starts around 12:15 in) - they've identified several effects that could cause the GPU/CPU loads to increase dramatically and these fixes are expected to go live in the upcoming 1.04 patch.

-EA_Cade

View in thread

Message 167 of 175 (3,424 Views)

All Replies

Extremely High GPU Usage

★★★★ Novice

I had issues with Anthem back in the beta. The game would run for a minute at most and then the screen would freeze but sound would continue for a few seconds. I thought that maybe this issue would be fixed by early access. I went to play today and even in the menu my GPU usage was at 100%. In the menu. Not even in game. I can't even get to a point where I can change video settings.

My setup:

MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X

CPU: Intel i7-8700K at 3.7 GHz

GPU: EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti

RAM: TridentZ 16GB (2X8GB) 3200 MHz

This has never been an issue for any game I've run on here before. Is there any way I would be able to fix this, or am I stuck?

Message 2 of 175 (18,726 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I've got the same issue CPU 100% pretty much all the time.
CPU i5-8600k
GPU 1080TI
Game is sitting on a M.2 SSD
Both VIP and open demo ran just fine without any problems, but now in the early access it started freezing.
Message 3 of 175 (18,697 Views)

★★★★ Novice
yup same issue here too, pissing me off, 1080ti here also but a gigabyte version, otherwise same cpu also
Message 4 of 175 (18,648 Views)

Re: High GPU and CPU Usage in Anthem

★★★★ Novice
I have the same problem but i have GTX 970 but i have the same CPU
Message 5 of 175 (22,105 Views)

cpu/gpu usage still high

★★★★ Novice

I have a i7 6700 3.4ghz 16gb ram gtx 1070, and my cpu/gpu usage is about 80 percent each, and in the demo it was about 90 percent each. is there a way i can reduce this even more, i still feel like its too high.

Message 6 of 175 (18,481 Views)

Re: cpu/gpu usage still high

★★★★ Novice

Same here except with a 970. Usage is 90% - 100%. Yesterday I didn't see any issues in the game that would cause me to even look at my resource monitor. Today though, stuttering and hitching. 

Message 7 of 175 (18,463 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Today I reversed my overclock on the GPU. Currently I'm playing since 2 hours without any errors or freezes.
If you overclocked your GPU, maybe this helps too.
Message 8 of 175 (18,606 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Google adding virtual memory for win 10 and follow those steps. It will stop crashing and smooth out the random choppiness and freezing until they optimize video drivers. Worked for me. Good luck. Shoot me some XP if it works.

Message 9 of 175 (18,573 Views)

Anthem maxes out CPU and freezes up.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I never had this issue during the demo weekends but for some reason as I start Anthem my CPU is running at 100%.
The GPU usage varies depending on my settings but I'm not getting crappy FPS or anything (it's somewhere in the range of 120-144 depending on my settings), the game runs perfectly fine... for a while.
After about 7-8 minutes of playing I start getting small freezes, lasting for about a second, if even that long.
After another minute or so the game acts like I'm holding down whatever key I last pressed, movement, skills, shooting, etc. and after another minute it will just freeze up and I'll need to pop the task manager and kill it off.

As it is right now, I can't play the game.

I'll attach my Dx Diagnostics as well.

Message 10 of 175 (15,006 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help